Lack of Internal Memory....what to do?

UCRDOGS

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I am a bit frustrated with the lack of storage, however. I have very few apps installed and only have 20mb left.

The worst part is, when I hit 15mb I get that annoying "your phone is low on space" warning. Is there any way to get rid of that?
Does anyone know what the internal memory should show after factory reset is done and before any apps are installed? we are now at 51MB AVAIL. What??? It started at 135. These apps just suck up memory. There is not much here compared to other phones. the other day my daughter had her text and photo service all locked up and we took it to sprint. they said "Oh, your memory is low. Let's do a factory reset". then the problem was fixed. Well what did that fix but delete this back to factory settings. We only had phone 3 days. How many apps can you even put on this thing? I see that errors start at 15 mb is that correct? How long does it take to chew up this memory? looks like apps arelimited. does it run slow when you get close to 15mb? anyone else have text or photo receipt problems when memory was low?

thanks, Richard

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know what the internal memory should show after factory reset is done and before any apps are installed? we are now at 51MB AVAIL. What??? It started at 135. These apps just suck up memory. There is not much here compared to other phones. the other day my daughter had her text and photo service all locked up and we took it to sprint. they said "Oh, your memory is low. Let's do a factory reset". then the problem was fixed. Well what did that fix but delete this back to factory settings. We only had phone 3 days. How many apps can you even put on this thing? I see that errors start at 15 mb is that correct? How long does it take to chew up this memory? looks like apps arelimited. does it run slow when you get close to 15mb? anyone else have text or photo receipt problems when memory was low?

thanks, Richard

135MB for a reset Replenish sounds about right, unfortanately (in fact its a little higher than what is advertised on the Samsung site for the phone which is 130MB!). Actual internal memory is likely around 160MB but the usable internal memory is likely 130 to 135MB because of the OS and native google apps [gmail, browser, maps, market] and the bloatware Sprint installs (e.g., Sprint ID) that consumes a ton of precious internal memory). You have basically two options:

(1) if you don't want to root and/or use a[the] custom ROM [leafROM] posted elsewhere in the forum, then you need to make maximum use of the "apps2sd" capability of the OS. Go to manage applications in the setup menu and click on each application to determine whether it is installed on the phone and whether it can be "moved" to the SD card (not all android apps can be moved to SD). If it can be moved, you'll see that option reflected on the screen. When you move the app to the SD card, some of the app will still reside in internal memory but the memory footprint will be signficantly smaller and that will provide more room for apps, messages etc befor you get the dreaded low memory error. I use a utility app called Android Assistant that can do a lot of things but also simplifies the process of moving comaptible apps to SD.

(2) Root your phone - then you can use Titanium backup to backup and rapidly restore infrequently use apps to your phone, saving space. You can go further by installing leafROM which eliminates much of the Sprint bloatware and other unnecessary internal memory hogs to provide even more room.

Good Luck.

Sary_Eliza

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with my replenish! :( I Don't have enough memory & I Just Wasted money on a new sd card for nothing! It Still Won't Let Me Download More Apps!! I'm So Mad!!

evertec

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I got the app Link2SD as someone else mentioned on the forum. It has helped tremendously. You have to format an ext4 partition in CWM, then reboot and set the app to link all your existing apps... once you link all your apps and have it set to auto link to sd after install, I keep installing apps and still haven't hit a limit yet.

TurboPirate

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I got the app Link2SD as someone else mentioned on the forum. It has helped tremendously. You have to format an ext4 partition in CWM, then reboot and set the app to link all your existing apps... once you link all your apps and have it set to auto link to sd after install, I keep installing apps and still haven't hit a limit yet.
Agree, I used a different app 'App2SD' so far it has helped a lot, next Android I'll get I'll make sure it has a way bigger internal memory, can't complaint of the Replenish, for the first Android phone in my life it is very friendly to understand, now I am not afraid of buying an expensive Android Like the New Galaxy.....................for first time Android users I recommend the Replenish it's like a Beginners Android phone.

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
My mom's PhoeniX-ROM based Replenish was completely out of memory (with a constant "low memory" warning) which may have caused it to crash and be unbootable. The USB port on my mom's Replenish doesn't work for data transfer so I couldn't implement Firehak's data2sd hack for Phoenix-ROM which apparently moves all data to an EXT4 partion on your SD. (Here's a direct link to Firehak's Goo download site. The data partition link contains a PDF with instructions.) So I installed Link2SD for free form the Play Store. I got an 8GB Class-10 SD card, created a 512MB EXT4 partion & 7.5GB FAT32 partition using a free PC program called called Mini Partition Wizard Home Edition. (Of course I copied the stuff on her old 2GB SD card to the FAT32 partion of her new 8GB SD card.) Then I set up Link2SD to use the EXT4 partion and moved most apps to that partion, thereby freeing up about 80MB of "internal" storage. That 80MB number is a bit misleading because there's actually still a few hundred MB available on the SD card too, so I guess that I could probably install many more apps if I linked them to the SD card. There's a nice tutorial here. My mom's Replenish has 26 downloaded apps in addition to the built-in-ish apps like Maps, Music, Places, etc.) I was worried that some relatively-high-performance media apps (like Sprint TV, YouTube, Winamp, Pandora, Play Music & Groove IP) wouldn't work well from an SD card since SD cards should be slower than internal ROM, but all of those apps work perfectly. (I did overclock to 748MHz so I'm not sure if that made a difference.) For safety I left a few apps, like Titanium Backup & Where's My Droid on the internal memory so that if the SD card fails or is removed, I can still locate and restore the phone. Link2SD has an intuitive interface and is quite nice in its functionality for moving and managing your apps.

One thing that I noticed on my mom's phone was that her POP mail account was taking up 40MB of storage (I guess because of all the email in her inbox and sent mail box.) Apparently POP mail just builds up unless you manually delete it, whereas IMAP mail (like Gmail) caches a limited amount of mail on and off your phone, while keeping the rest on the server. (She has one Gmail account and unfortunately one legacy ISP-based POP mail account that I've been trying to get her to abandon for years, to no avail.)

Last edited:

kimzim8

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
i see all these post that say if rooted if willing to root root root root
yes i want to root i been trying to find exactly how to do that for weeks now
nothing seems to work i tried z4root that did nothing i downloaded titanium*root that didnt work either said i needed root

will someone finnaly cut all the bs and just say ok do this to root and lay it pout here
im not a stupid person or in no way computer illiterate but this is really pissing me off that with all this searching
nothing say ok here it is everything says you need root but nothing will actually give ya root least not that i have found

ciscogee

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i see all these post that say if rooted if willing to root root root root
yes i want to root i been trying to find exactly how to do that for weeks now
nothing seems to work i tried z4root that did nothing i downloaded titanium*root that didnt work either said i needed root

will someone finnaly cut all the bs and just say ok do this to root and lay it pout here
im not a stupid person or in no way computer illiterate but this is really pissing me off that with all this searching
nothing say ok here it is everything says you need root but nothing will actually give ya root least not that i have found

Dmrlooks 2 click root, look for the thread

Sent from my SPH-M580BST using Tapatalk 2

Radeokilla Aguayo

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I got the app Link2SD as someone else mentioned on the forum. It has helped tremendously. You have to format an ext4 partition in CWM, then reboot and set the app to link
all your existing apps... once you link all your apps and have it set to auto link to sd after install, I keep installing apps and still haven't hit a limit yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084