Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

Default Lack of Internal Memory....what to do?

Well a friend and her daughter have gotten the Replenish. She tells me she is constantly running out of room, and that her phone is filled. I look at the phone and sure enough her internal memory is all but exhausted. I try to move apps to the SD card......apparently none of her apps can be moved.

so my questtions on her (and my) behalf:

1. Can apps be moved to the SD card on this phone or is it that she just so happens to have d\l apps that cannot be moved?

2. what are folks doing to deal with this issue. Seems the amount of internal storage on this device is tiny (at least compared to my Nexus S 4g, anyway).

Thanks for any insight!
    Thanked by:

If it's rooted you can move them with titanium backup

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Lack of Internal Memory....what to do?

Even the apps that can be moved don't completely move. It's built into Android under Settings->Applications-> Manage applications. You can tap any app and hit the move to sd button, but it still leaves data on the internal memory. There really isn't much storage space on the Replenish. It's not meant to be a big and powerful phone, so you just can't install a whole lot of apps at one time.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    LeafRom0.2-Beta

I have had success with App2SD and Force2SD. I have over 200 apps installed, and 46MB remaining on internal. Also there is a program called Mini Tool Partition Wizard that you can use to partition an sd card, so that it will hold more system memory.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by nate3378 View Post
    I have had success with App2SD and Force2SD. I have over 200 apps installed, and 46MB remaining on internal. Also there is a program called Mini Tool Partition Wizard that you can use to partition an sd card, so that it will hold more system memory.
    Are you actually users those apps on a Replenish ?

No need for apps2sd. Just do this with your rooted phone:

1. Start a terminal app (you can download one from the market for free).

2. Type "su" and make sure you hit allow when the super user asks you to allow terminal to access super user rights.

3. type "pm setInstallLocation 2"

Now, you can move some apps (those that don't have widgets) to the SD card using firehak's suggestion above.
    Thanked by 2:
    Vubu likes this.

ROM
    Stock

I can move many of my apps to the SD card without rooting.... Your friend apparently likes apps with widgets, or some that for some other reason won't move to the SD card.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

Thanks to everyone for their input!

Their solution was to return both phones and get the free Nexus S 4G phones from Best Buy this week, Problem definitely solved, the only downside was the $10 data premium, but considering the cost of the Nexus was 0 it is justifiable considering they got MUCH nicer and more useful phones,

Quote Originally Posted by ronald600 View Post
    Are you actually users those apps on a Replenish ?
    Agreed. I don't think that this guy was using a Replenish. 200 apps just isn't possible with this phone, I don't care how you arrange them.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by tentonbricks View Post
    Agreed. I don't think that this guy was using a Replenish. 200 apps just isn't possible with this phone, I don't care how you arrange them.
    My thoughts exactly. It doesn't matter how an app is installed, it will use internal memory.
    Thanked by:

I am a bit frustrated with the lack of storage, however. I have very few apps installed and only have 20mb left.

The worst part is, when I hit 15mb I get that annoying "your phone is low on space" warning. Is there any way to get rid of that?
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

It'll keep coming back until you free some space on the phone.
    Thanked by:

I guess it comes down to clever app selections.

Example: Uninstall Twitter and Facebook and install Tweetdeck. My free space jumped from 19mb free to 29mb.

Long story short: Facebook = bloated.
    Thanked by:

I guess it comes down to clever app selections.

Example: Uninstall Twitter and Facebook and install Tweetdeck. My free space jumped from 19mb free to 29mb.

Long story short: Facebook = bloated.
    You can free up 10 or so more mb's by uninstalling those google maps updates.. If, that is, you don't need all those 3d city views it comes with.
    Thanked by:

How does one uninstall the google map updates but not google maps? And I have never seen the 3d views before. Isn't this a gingerbread and beyond feature?

ROM
    Stock

Yeah, you need to be picky with the Replenish. I think the 3D view is the Google Street View. I've used it a few times out of curiosity, but I'd rather just stick to the GPS mode. I think I reads somewhere that street view is just a separate apk file.

EDIT: Yeah, street view is just an addition and can be removed from /system/app/Street.apk
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by dmrlook View Post
    How does one uninstall the google map updates but not google maps? And I have never seen the 3d views before. Isn't this a gingerbread and beyond feature?
    If you go to manage applications like normal, you don't have an option to uninstall google maps, but you do have the option to uninstall the updates... I don't know exactly what the updates cover, but my sons navigation works just fine without them.
    Thanked by:

Good suggestions, all. Unfortunately, I do make good use of the Maps updates as I am a public transportation user, so it has become very helpful to have the stop-by-stop feature.

I do plan on re-building my Leaf rom to remove the bloat, however (thanks firehak!). I'm sure I can cut out quite a bit of things I never use (e.g. the mail app, since I only use GMail).
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

A good thing to do while removing bloat is to view your /system/app directory and read the descriptions on the wiki link inside the readme for ShabbyLeaf. That way you know what apps are safe for YOU to remove. If there are apps not listed in the bloat list I provided, all you have to do is add it to the list (or make your own!) and click load list again. It automatically adds /system/app/ to the path, so just the name of the apk and the extension (.apk or .odex). I know we are deodexed, but this will work with any Android phone. Only the rom tab is specific to LeafRom and ShabbyMod.
    Thanked by:

So exactly how much memory is available on a stock Replenish after removing all the bloatware?
    Thanked by:

I am a bit frustrated with the lack of storage, however. I have very few apps installed and only have 20mb left.

The worst part is, when I hit 15mb I get that annoying "your phone is low on space" warning. Is there any way to get rid of that?
    Does anyone know what the internal memory should show after factory reset is done and before any apps are installed? we are now at 51MB AVAIL. What??? It started at 135. These apps just suck up memory. There is not much here compared to other phones. the other day my daughter had her text and photo service all locked up and we took it to sprint. they said "Oh, your memory is low. Let's do a factory reset". then the problem was fixed. Well what did that fix but delete this back to factory settings. We only had phone 3 days. How many apps can you even put on this thing? I see that errors start at 15 mb is that correct? How long does it take to chew up this memory? looks like apps arelimited. does it run slow when you get close to 15mb? anyone else have text or photo receipt problems when memory was low?

thanks, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by UCRDOGS View Post
    Does anyone know what the internal memory should show after factory reset is done and before any apps are installed? we are now at 51MB AVAIL. What??? It started at 135. These apps just suck up memory. There is not much here compared to other phones. the other day my daughter had her text and photo service all locked up and we took it to sprint. they said "Oh, your memory is low. Let's do a factory reset". then the problem was fixed. Well what did that fix but delete this back to factory settings. We only had phone 3 days. How many apps can you even put on this thing? I see that errors start at 15 mb is that correct? How long does it take to chew up this memory? looks like apps arelimited. does it run slow when you get close to 15mb? anyone else have text or photo receipt problems when memory was low?

thanks, Richard
    135MB for a reset Replenish sounds about right, unfortanately (in fact its a little higher than what is advertised on the Samsung site for the phone which is 130MB!). Actual internal memory is likely around 160MB but the usable internal memory is likely 130 to 135MB because of the OS and native google apps [gmail, browser, maps, market] and the bloatware Sprint installs (e.g., Sprint ID) that consumes a ton of precious internal memory). You have basically two options:

(1) if you don't want to root and/or use a[the] custom ROM [leafROM] posted elsewhere in the forum, then you need to make maximum use of the "apps2sd" capability of the OS. Go to manage applications in the setup menu and click on each application to determine whether it is installed on the phone and whether it can be "moved" to the SD card (not all android apps can be moved to SD). If it can be moved, you'll see that option reflected on the screen. When you move the app to the SD card, some of the app will still reside in internal memory but the memory footprint will be signficantly smaller and that will provide more room for apps, messages etc befor you get the dreaded low memory error. I use a utility app called Android Assistant that can do a lot of things but also simplifies the process of moving comaptible apps to SD.

(2) Root your phone - then you can use Titanium backup to backup and rapidly restore infrequently use apps to your phone, saving space. You can go further by installing leafROM which eliminates much of the Sprint bloatware and other unnecessary internal memory hogs to provide even more room.

Good Luck.

im not so happy with this phone

I have the same problem with my replenish! I Don't have enough memory & I Just Wasted money on a new sd card for nothing! It Still Won't Let Me Download More Apps!! I'm So Mad!!

ROM
    Rasbeanjelly/Trinity

If you're not rooted, you're out of luck.

If you are rooted, or willing to root, there are several options you can choose from.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast