New to rooting (replenish through Ubuntu 11.10)

Thadion

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
So I have this extra Replenish sitting around the house. It's activated on my line. I am interested in rooting it for the simple fact of the Wifi tethering. I am a construction worker full time and I work on computer hardware as a side job because construction isn't exactly booming at the moment. So my idea is, if I can get the tethering between my laptop and phone, when I'm out on a job somewhere where I don't have access to wifi, I could use my phone. I'm not expecting good speeds. I'd be happy with dial-up speeds. That travels faster than smoke signals. On my main computer, I am running Ubuntu 11.10 as my main OS. I also have Win 7 64 bit but I don't like it much. I keep it around if I really have to have windoze for something stupid.

So my first question (and probably the most important) is: am I looking at rooting for a reasonable reason?

Second question: Can I use the leafROM through Ubuntu 11.10?

Third (and last for the moment) question: Where can I find a dummy guide for a step by step process of making this happen without turning this phone into a paperweight?

I appreciate all answers and even the slightest effort at pointing me in the correct direction. You guys seem to be very good at what you do. I am simply hoping that rooting this phone will help me be better and more efficient at what I do.

Ryan

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
If you want to use Froyo, there's install instructions in the download file...more then likely.

But if you want to run Gingerbread, use Firehacks prerooted odin image. You will have to find a way to use windows tho..you could use it in Virtualbox as long as the phone is recognized id cmd promt with adb and adb devices.

And you are rooting it for a good reason, but why don't you just use the hotspot option?

Windows drivers for our phone: http://db.tt/ma8upqZM

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk