Rooting GINGERBREAD.EK18

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Folks - until we can change default,prop, we can not root this thing. What we can do it remove bloatware, and manually push new files to system (or write a script that runs when booted to recovery console and system is mounted) but all of it means squat since we still can't modify default,prop.

I am playing with updating install-recovery.sh to modify default,prop, but so far no luck. if anyone knows how to mount the boot parition while shelled in through recovery, that would be most useful at this time!

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Between BSOD's I managed to peek at my images. I also have all FF's for boot.img, but everything else seems fine. Sorry, I couldn't say why. I think I have hard drive damage.. I just re-installed Windows to solve this and it only stopped for a short while. I've defragged numerous times, let Windows run chkdsk, etc, and it keeps happening. If we can make due with looking at the ED23 boot.img to see what it does, maybe we could make our own.

shrekdaklown

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
are tghe exploits for root phone specific or is there certain phones that are close in software that are rooted maybe we could try wat they did or it might help get root

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Can use ed23 or ef27 - those are based on an older linux kernel. We need the latest since that has the correct kernel for GB.

I don't mean to blindly copy paste it in, I just mean to see what boot.img contains, what functions it does to boot, and use it as a reference to try and re-create our own unless I can dd a better copy.

GPOT

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Ubuntu doesnt like being installed over windows. Install it on a seperate partition or in a virtual machine. And may I suggest linux mint?

GPOT

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I have 3 computers none of which I can develop on right now so if dmrlook or firehak could make the odin thatd be nice. I would like to have a 100% unrooted stock to play with if you guys could accomplish that.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm already installing inside a VM, that isn't causing my issues. I don't like to dual boot or use WUBI. I've tried Mint before, but Unity is growing on me. In the process of dd'ing everything now, this time boot.img is 10.0MB. I'm sure this is a better copy.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
hey fire if u have a desktop i might be able to help u with a hard drive if u use sata

Yes, it's a desktop with 3 SATA drives, one of which I know is failing S.M.A.R.T. checks. Windows is not installed on that drive. Any help would be appreciated, but I'm too lazy to deal with taking anything apart at the moment. Especially since it stopped freaking out on me for now.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't have any extra cables to try, and I need the space on all 3 drives.

Don't use CWM for recovery backups quite yet. DD is the safest bet, boot.img works. This is my first two lines using HxD Hex Editor, then a few of just "00" and back to more data.

Code:
41 4E 44 52 4F 49 44 21 D4 C4 2F 00 00 80 00 13
14 4F 2C 00 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 13

Copying my DD dump into Ubuntu now to mess with Odin packaging. If it works, I'll need to factory wipe for an untouched rom and remove all traces of root. We're well on our way ;)

GPOT

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I am gonna check back before I go to bed which will be in another 4-5 hours and I hope we will have something up by then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol