Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Default Re: [ACS][ROM] PhoeniX ROM 0.2

FYI- Don't try editing the sprint update package yourself and running it - it almost bricked my phone. I was stuck in a recovery mode boot loop. The sprint recovery assumes our phones are RFS partitions. I got around that enough for it to run, but then it modified the boot loader to always go into recovery so it could run some other code to do a lo-level update to some files. Fortunately, I had backed up the boot loader, so I was able to get back into the phone. Our best bet is for someone with stock to run it for us and capture the files we need.

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    ROM
    PhoeniX 0.2

Quote Originally Posted by dmrlook View Post
    FYI- Don't try editing the sprint update package yourself and running it - it almost bricked my phone. I was stuck in a recovery mode boot loop. The sprint recovery assumes our phones are RFS partitions. I got around that enough for it to run, but then it modified the boot loader to always go into recovery so it could run some other code to do a lo-level update to some files. Fortunately, I had backed up the boot loader, so I was able to get back into the phone. Our best bet is for someone with stock to run it for us and capture the files we need.
    The only thing if done is pull apps from it.do I just rezip it and I'm good to flash? Or what? I setup my box for the MIT-Google code with eclipse and the sdks.

No - it does not actually contain the files we need. In order to minimize download time with the updates, the updates are actually patches to existing files. So when the update.zip as downloaded is run, it tries to changes (patch) portions of files on the phone. Take a look in the zip - you will find a bunch of *.p files which are just file fragments.

Apparently The FA19 Update Completely removes Carrier IQ off the phone.

Voodoo Carrier IQ Detector report:

Build fingerprint:
    samsung/SPH-M580/SPH-M580:2.3.6/GINGERBREAD/FA19:user/release-keys

Carrier IQ was not found
    Detection score: 0

Test for: Linux kernel interfaces
    (KERNEL_INTERFACES, weight 50)

nothing found

Test for: Android logcat debugging log
    (LOGCAT, weight 100)

nothing found

Test for: Linux kernel drivers
    (KERNEL_DRIVERS, weight 50)

nothing found

Test for: System services
    (SERVICES, weight 70)

nothing found

Test for: ROM binaries and daemons
    (SYSTEM_BINARIES, weight 70)

nothing found

Test for: ROM configs
    (ETC_CONFIG, weight 0)

nothing found

Test for: Packages
    (PACKAGES, weight 70)

nothing found

Test for: Running processes
    (RUNNING_PROCESSES, weight 200)

nothing found

Test for: Suspicious classes
    (SUSPICIOUS_CLASSES, weight 0)

nothing found

Test for: Linux kernel dmesg log
    (DMESG, weight 100)

nothing found

--
    Voodoo CarrierIQ Detector 2.0.5
    Last edited by 30jon; 02-06-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    ROM
    PhoeniX 0.2

Is that all it does?? Lol

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock 2.3.6

Quote Originally Posted by crackers_and_ice View Post
    I ran it right after i flashed the rom. I flashed the phoneix rom so it didnt work. i thought all yalll needed was the zip file??

And as far as i know, from firehak, you can't go back to stock GB cause of the ext4. sooooo...yea
    We learn something new every day, don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by crackers_and_ice View Post
    Is that all it does?? Lol

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk
    There's also some more live wallpapers such as
    Aurora, Blue Sea, Forest and Spark.

30jon - did you get the update - did it run on your phone correctly? If so, are you rooted?

30jon - did you get the update - did it run on your phone correctly? If so, are you rooted?
    I used the update.zip crackers_and_ice posted earlier. The update did work because I never installed phoenix rom. However I am no longer rooted after the update

Damn - I was hoping you could pull some files for us. Perhaps tomorrow, if you want, I can post a new kernel for our phones that should also give you root access. From there, you can easily pull the files I need.

However, you would be best to install clock work mod recovery first. There is a link that shabby put up here somewhere. That should work for you. It's an odin package. You comfortable with doing stuff like that? There would be some manual steps to prevent your phone from going back to stock recovery.

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    ROM
    PhoeniX 0.2

Damn - I was hoping you could pull some files for us. Perhaps tomorrow, if you want, I can post a new kernel for our phones that should also give you root access. From there, you can easily pull the files I need.

However, you would be best to install clock work mod recovery first. There is a link that shabby put up here somewhere. That should work for you. It's an odin package. You comfortable with doing stuff like that? There would be some manual steps to prevent your phone from going back to stock recovery.

So are you saying well have a new kernel today sometime?? What advantages would it have over the old one?? Will it be cooked into the new PhoeniX rom??

Perhaps - I am still working on one annoying issue (explained below).
    So the kernel I am working on (and currently running on my phone) adds the following:
    1. EXT4 native support so we don't need to load modules into the kernel. I imagine this gives a very minor speed improvement.
    2. Addition of the smartassV2 governor.
    3. Addition of the interactive governor.

As for what governors are, they are the algorithms that manage (govern) the CPU frequency (speed at which the CPU is clocked). Depending on the governor selected, and how it is tuned, you can get better performance (at the expense of batt life) or batter batt life (at the expense of performance). Different governors try to manage the tradeoffs to provide the bets of both worlds. From what I have read, SmartassV2 is one of of best at maximizing performance and batt life. I provided interactive as well to give you all a choice (interactive is also considered very good). Just google interactive governor or smartassv2 governor for details.

As for the one issue I am still fighting, I've compiled my kernel to select SmartassV2 as the default governor, but yet when the phone is fully booted, the ondemand (stock) governor is still running as the default. No matter what I try, I can not get it to load with my selected governor. I have installed setCPU and am easily able to change the governor with that to whatever I wat (including the 2 new ones I added) and setCPU can set the governor at phone boot time to smartassV2, but I would prefer that it just work without telling you all to install a program like setCPU to select a better governor at boot time.

So I've been doing a lot of research to try and default it to what I want, and since I don't have a solution yet, I have been holding off on a release. Worst case, I may just write a quick app to auto select it at boot time, much like setCPU (except setCPU is $1.99 and the app I give you all will be free). So If I go that route, I'll need a day or two to develop and test the app.

FYI - I've also incorporated overclocking into the kernel, but have not yet activated it yet. Once I release the first release with the functionality above, I'll test the overclocking and release that soon after.

No - it does not actually contain the files we need. In order to minimize download time with the updates, the updates are actually patches to existing files. So when the update.zip as downloaded is run, it tries to changes (patch) portions of files on the phone. Take a look in the zip - you will find a bunch of *.p files which are just file fragments.
    Hey all, my phone had the gingerbread rooted ODIN install. I just took the FA19 update. Do you need anything dumped from my phone?

Yes. Can you use dd to dump the entire /system directory for us? Are u still rooted after the update?

I am no longer root. I tried dd, but it failed.

$ dd if=/dev/stl12 of=/sdcard/GB/system.rfs
    dd if=/dev/stl12 of=/sdcard/GB/system.rfs
    /dev/stl12: cannot open for read: Permission denied
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #241  

ROM
    Stock

Do you have CWM5 or know how to use odin? You can use CWM recovery to pull system, too, though it is in /dev/block/stl12 instead.

ROM
    Stock 2.3.6

Hey firehak, u should set up a paypal and put a donate button as your signature. A lot of people like this ROM and I would be willing to donate. It might take a little to fugure out but once you do, cash starts flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnylbluejeans View Post
    I am no longer root. I tried dd, but it failed.

$ dd if=/dev/stl12 of=/sdcard/GB/system.rfs
    dd if=/dev/stl12 of=/sdcard/GB/system.rfs
    /dev/stl12: cannot open for read: Permission denied

You can go here:

[ACS] CWM for the samsung replenish

and find a link for a CWM that will work for you. This is the CWM that is still based off of the RFS filesystem, and thus, the one you need to install. I'd recommend installing it if for no other reason than to allow you to backup your phone in case anything gets screwed up. You need to be able to use ODIN to flash this image. Once you do, you can reboot into recovery (hold down the 'U" button while powering up) and can dump the partition we need. From there, I can get you an image that will be stock on the new EF19 update, plus root.

Note you must press U while the phone is rebooting after the odin install of CWM completes. If you miss it, then the phone will boot as normal, and sprints stock image will delete the CWM recovery image and revert back to the stock one. So make sure you are watching the phone screen and hit and hold down the U screen as soon as the screen goes plank after ODIN completes the download.

Have you sed ODIN before - does this all make sense to you? And as firehak said, once you are in through recovery, adb shell into the phone and the command is:
    dd if=/dev/block/stl12 of=/sdcard/GB/system.rfs

Let me know if you need more help.

I'll be able to do that when I get home from school in an hour and a half.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #245  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by GPOT View Post
    Hey firehak, u should set up a paypal and put a donate button as your signature. A lot of people like this ROM and I would be willing to donate. It might take a little to fugure out but once you do, cash starts flowing.
    I'm not one to ask for donations, especially when the majority of the work is not my own. I'm simply packaging most of the changes done by other people into one place. All I did by myself was convert the file system to ext4 and start figuring out how to mount an sd card partition as /data.

I Dumped system by flashing cwm, immediately booting into recovery, connecting to adb and running
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/stl12 of=/sdcard/system.rfs
    333824+0 records in
    333824+0 records out
    170917888 bytes (163.0MB) copied, 51.729035 seconds, 3.2MB/s
    Did i do that right?
    I'm Currently uploading the file.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #247  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by 30jon View Post
    I Dumped system by flashing cwm, immediately booting into recovery, connecting to adb and running
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/stl12 of=/sdcard/system.rfs
    333824+0 records in
    333824+0 records out
    170917888 bytes (163.0MB) copied, 51.729035 seconds, 3.2MB/s
    Did i do that right?
    I'm Currently uploading the file.
    Yes you did, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by firehak View Post
    Yes you did, thanks.
    Unfortunately, my connection sucks so it says it will take 30 minutes to upload.
    EDIT:
    Last edited by 30jon; 02-07-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Here you go.
    Tell me if you need anything else.

That's perfect - thanks! I'll work on getting an update.zip together for those of us on phoenix ROM so we can have this update as well.

Edit: No luck so far - I got all the files onto the phone, but then the phone does not boot. There is a firmware update in the package and I can not replicate that without the stock recovery. That may be what s causing the phone not to boot.

Lucky for me, ODIN and I are good friends, so I still have a phone.

Perhaps firehak will be able to create a ROM of all of this from his brothers phone.
    Last edited by dmrlook; 02-07-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast