[ACS][ROM] Phoenix ROM 0.2 & EXT Data

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ACS][ROM] Phoenix ROM 0.2 & 0.3 RC

Sorry for the confusion, I did not mean I will be giving up on 0.3. I only mean that with small tweaks (though who knows what threw it so out of whack in this one D:) it can't get much farther than what I am currently running myself. I didn't install the same way you guys did so I wasn't aware of anything but the recent bluetooth boot-loop.

ACS is in the very early stages of a much larger-scale project to bring many of its developers together though, so once I do have time to get back to finishing this completely, it will be the final release. And thank you for the understanding about the soft-brick. I only assumed the modem would install fine :(

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

I've rooted and flashed 4 Optimus S's (for me, my wife, & kids) with VERY worthwhile results in OC speed, features, and (perhaps most importantly) available RAM. I'm going to get a Replenish, add it to my Sprint family plan, set it up, and ship it to my 78-year-old mom. (Her 1st smartphone.) Then I won't have access to the phone again until August during my annual visit back East. If I were getting my mom an Optimus S, I would definitely root & flash it for her because:

1. The custom ROM is stable, not buggy, and the performance benefits are very worthwhile.
  2. LG/Sprint is unlikely to do another OS update ever, so the custom ROM will likely be better than anything Sprint will ever release.
  3. The custom ROM would prevent any OS updates from Sprint, therefore my mom wouldn't be annoyed by upgrade messages or accidentally cause problems by accepting an update.

A) Would those 3 things likely be true of Phoenix 0.2?

B) Would I be better off installing THIS deodexed version of Phoenix 0.2?

C) Should I install dmrlook's custom kernel, or another custom kernel?

D) I assume that I should not install Phoenix 0.3, in my situation, right?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

And mega thanks to Firehak for helping make our lives better.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I'm not aware of any other custom kernels for the replenish, so I think mine is the only option. It does increase battery life by at least 2x in my opinion. As for phoenix 0.2, I've been on that for many month, however if you get a replenish today, it will be at FA19 and not EK18 (FA19 is newer) and phoenix 0.2 is EK18 based (phoenix 0.3 when in final release form will be FA19 based, but that is not ready for primetime). Personally, I'd go with phoenix 0.2.

However one thing to consider is if the phone needs to be serviced, sprint won't touch it if you modify it.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: RazzMaTazz

passat69

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

Quick question -

I've got .3 installed and the custom kernel.

I've got the phone stuck in the Bluetooth reboot loop. Is there any easy way to get out of this ... or am I reflashing the phone to make it useable again?

Thanks.

anon(538593)

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

Quick question -

I've got .3 installed and the custom kernel.

I've got the phone stuck in the Bluetooth reboot loop. Is there any easy way to get out of this ... or am I reflashing the phone to make it useable again?

Thanks.

Did you uninstall the factory music app? If yes, then you should be able to fix it by reinstalling it through CWM. I wouldn't know how to do that, but I assume it's possible. Or you could just reflash the ROM and start over.

Also, unless that's a typo, you're the only person who has gotten a working installation of 0.3 so far.

passat69

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

Did you uninstall the factory music app? If yes, then you should be able to fix it by reinstalling it through CWM. I wouldn't know how to do that, but I assume it's possible. Or you could just reflash the ROM and start over.

Also, unless that's a typo, you're the only person who has gotten a working installation of 0.3 so far.

I did not uninstall anything that was included as part of 0.3. My fix was to go back to 0.2.

It took a lot of work, but yes, I was running Phoenix 0.3 for several days. I would still be running it if I had not purchased a new Bluetooth headset. As soon as I turned on Bluetooth it put the phone into a reboot loop that I could not get out of.

Thanks!

I am really looking forward to when Phoenix 0.3 is no longer a Release Candidate. :D

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

I am constantly receiving the "System Update" pop-up. Is there any way to block this?

I tried taking the upgrade, but it breaks .2 . Any thoughts?

bickelk09

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site

I am constantly receiving the "System Update" pop-up. Is there any way to block this?

I tried taking the upgrade, but it breaks .2 . Any thoughts?

To get rid of the update notification do the following:
Or you can skip to step 9 if you unzip and use the build.prop that I attached. The only two changes in it are to get rid of the update notification and to allow the camera shutter sound to be turned off when the phone is on silent.

1) connect phone to computer with ADB installed
(look up a guide if you don't have it installed)
2) open cmd in Windows
3)
Code:
ADB pull /system/build.prop
(This will extract build.prop from phone to the current cmd directory)
4) open build.prop with notepad
5) use find feature to locate this text '2.3.6/GINGERBREAD/EK18' without quotes
6) edit that text to be '2.3.6/GINGERBREAD/FA19' without quotes
(that is the only EK18 reference that needs to be changed, the rest can stay)
8) save it to the same location, don't change the file name
9)
Code:
ADB remount
10)
Code:
ADB push build.prop /system
11)
Code:
ADB restart

Last edited:

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to buy a new Replenish for my mom. Not sure if it'll have EK18 or FA19. If EK18, then I could probably tell the store salesperson not to update it to FA19 if that's better for rooting and flashing. Are the instructions in Firehak's OP valid for both EK18 and FA19?

Would following those instructions give me permanent root, permanent CWM, and Phoenix 0.2, or do I first need to root and install CWM? I've read several of the threads here but it's still not clear to me.

Thanks in advance!

ikeywatson

May 1, 2011
Visit site

the new phone will obviously come fa19,if so there is a stock rooted ek18 file somewhere in this forum that firehak made,get that follow the instructions and flash it with odin ,profit

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

1) Are you saying that the instructions in this thread's OP to flash Phoenix 0.2 won't work on a stock FA19 phone?

2) If the phone has stock EK18 (because it's been sitting in inventory for a long time), will the instructions in this thread's OP to flash to Phoneix 0.2 work?

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

the new phone will obviously come fa19,if so there is a stock rooted ek18 file somewhere in this forum that firehak made,get that follow the instructions and flash it with odin ,profit
Thanks. Why is it possible to flash a stock rooted EK18 onto an FA19 phone but not possible to flash an EK18-based Phoenix 0.2 onto an FA19 phone?

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Keep in mind.. when you go back to EK18, you are not just flashing a custom ROM, you are doing everything. Phoenix .2 goes next.

You cannot apply the Phoenix .2 ROM on an FA19 build.

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

If Phoenix 0.2 can't be flashed onto an FA19 phone, then that should be noted in the OP. What happens to people who get a new Replenish, go to the forum and try to flash Phoenix 0.2?

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Your phone isn't an FA19 phone. It is a replenish, with a FA19 build currently on it. If the ROM is for EK18, then you should start with an EK18 base. If you want to wait until FireHak releases .3 (which IS made for FA19) then you should.

anon(538593)

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

If your phone comes with build FA19, Phoenix 0.2 will just downgrade you to EK18. You'll get an annoying update notification, but that can be silenced by editing build.prop.

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Rodya234: Are you saying that I can follow the instruction in the OP to flash Phoenix 0.2 directly onto an FA19-Replenish? Or do you agree with Jonnylbluejeans that I'd first need to flash stock EK18 and then flash Phoenix 0.2?

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Theoretically it should work to put phoenix 0.2 onto FA19. You will be pushed back to EK18 as suggested above, and will get the annoying upgrade notice. Note you may be the first one to try doing this, so make sure you have a way to get back to your phone. I always recommend installing CWM first and backing up. There are other threads here to walk you through that process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2