[ACS][ROM] Phoenix ROM 0.2 & EXT Data

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ACS][ROM] PhoeniX ROM 0.2

Do you have CWM5 or know how to use odin? You can use CWM recovery to pull system, too, though it is in /dev/block/stl12 instead.

GPOT

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

Hey firehak, u should set up a paypal and put a donate button as your signature. A lot of people like this ROM and I would be willing to donate. It might take a little to fugure out but once you do, cash starts flowing.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I am no longer root. I tried dd, but it failed.

$ dd if=/dev/stl12 of=/sdcard/GB/system.rfs
dd if=/dev/stl12 of=/sdcard/GB/system.rfs
/dev/stl12: cannot open for read: Permission denied

You can go here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-replenish/151752-acs-cwm-samsung-replenish.html

and find a link for a CWM that will work for you. This is the CWM that is still based off of the RFS filesystem, and thus, the one you need to install. I'd recommend installing it if for no other reason than to allow you to backup your phone in case anything gets screwed up. You need to be able to use ODIN to flash this image. Once you do, you can reboot into recovery (hold down the 'U" button while powering up) and can dump the partition we need. From there, I can get you an image that will be stock on the new EF19 update, plus root.

Note you must press U while the phone is rebooting after the odin install of CWM completes. If you miss it, then the phone will boot as normal, and sprints stock image will delete the CWM recovery image and revert back to the stock one. So make sure you are watching the phone screen and hit and hold down the U screen as soon as the screen goes plank after ODIN completes the download.

Have you sed ODIN before - does this all make sense to you? And as firehak said, once you are in through recovery, adb shell into the phone and the command is:
dd if=/dev/block/stl12 of=/sdcard/GB/system.rfs

Let me know if you need more help.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Hey firehak, u should set up a paypal and put a donate button as your signature. A lot of people like this ROM and I would be willing to donate. It might take a little to fugure out but once you do, cash starts flowing.

I'm not one to ask for donations, especially when the majority of the work is not my own. I'm simply packaging most of the changes done by other people into one place. All I did by myself was convert the file system to ext4 and start figuring out how to mount an sd card partition as /data.

anon(482951)

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I Dumped system by flashing cwm, immediately booting into recovery, connecting to adb and running
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/stl12 of=/sdcard/system.rfs
333824+0 records in
333824+0 records out
170917888 bytes (163.0MB) copied, 51.729035 seconds, 3.2MB/s
Did i do that right?
I'm Currently uploading the file.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

I Dumped system by flashing cwm, immediately booting into recovery, connecting to adb and running
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/stl12 of=/sdcard/system.rfs
333824+0 records in
333824+0 records out
170917888 bytes (163.0MB) copied, 51.729035 seconds, 3.2MB/s
Did i do that right?
I'm Currently uploading the file.

Yes you did, thanks.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

That's perfect - thanks! I'll work on getting an update.zip together for those of us on phoenix ROM so we can have this update as well.

Edit: No luck so far - I got all the files onto the phone, but then the phone does not boot. There is a firmware update in the package and I can not replicate that without the stock recovery. That may be what s causing the phone not to boot.

Lucky for me, ODIN and I are good friends, so I still have a phone.

Perhaps firehak will be able to create a ROM of all of this from his brothers phone.

Last edited:

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Just got an email from AC saying Chrome Browser just got beta released to ICS devices.

I want it and I know a lot of people do to, just not people on ICS, so how do we get it?

I know the framework is totally different, but there's gotta be a way to get it...along with the Browser+(ICS browser but with added mods to make it better).

Any help or info?

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

I have the apk, but you can't even get to the setup process. Just wait for the to add backwards support.

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the apk, but you can't even get to the setup process. Just wait for the to add backwards support.

You think they will?? I've been waiting for Chrome on Android FOREVER..lol

Can you enlighten me as to what is invloved in porting an app for Android?

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Can you enlighten me as to what is invloved in porting an app for Android?

Lots of things. More specifically for Chrome, finding every function called to the 2.3.6 onward framework, adding it into our framework, adding the ICS holo light theme to GB 2.3.6 to put it in the simplest terms possible. Even if some were to take on those huge tasks, you have to remember that there may be functions in the new framework that are completely non-existent to previous frameworks, not just renamed or updated. It's a lot more complicated than copy pasting new functions into old frameworks. Even after all functions are brought back, what of the old ones that rely on the framework's old structure? You may be breaking everything to make Chrome work. It is complete trial and error. The more Chrome relies on ICS, the more and more it would be required to bring backwards compatibility to it. That's not to say it's impossible, but, it's much more favorable to wait for Google themselves to bring compatibility. It does sport a "beta" tag, after all.

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Lots of things. More specifically for Chrome, finding every function called to the 2.3.6 onward framework, adding it into our framework, adding the ICS holo light theme to GB 2.3.6 to put it in the simplest terms possible. Even if some were to take on those huge tasks, you have to remember that there may be functions in the new framework that are completely non-existent to previous frameworks, not just renamed or updated. It's a lot more complicated than copy pasting new functions into old frameworks. Even after all functions are brought back, what of the old ones that rely on the framework's old structure? You may be breaking everything to make Chrome work. It is complete trial and error. The more Chrome relies on ICS, the more and more it would be required to bring backwards compatibility to it. That's not to say it's impossible, but, it's much more favorable to wait for Google themselves to bring compatibility. It does sport a "beta" tag, after all.

Beta dosent mean anything to me, especially since its from google..lol..couldn't your roms be considered beta?? Lol

Anyway..thanks for the info and I hope it does get some GB love.

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site

Hey...how can I make themes for our phone?? I'd like to make a HUGE ICS theme, thats free, for our phones. I love the layout, but the good ones cost.. :( lol

Thanks

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey...how can I make themes for our phone?? I'd like to make a HUGE ICS theme, thats free, for our phones. I love the layout, but the good ones cost.. :( lol

Thanks

We need to be deodexed first, but phone and mms gave me issues last time I tried to. I'm still working on getting that fixed. I may be able to hack something up though. No promises, performance usability are still my top priorities. But, I'll admit, I love the holo light theme from screens I've seen. I downloaded the ICS framework a few days ago to try getting holo as a side project.

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
We need to be deodexed first, but phone and mms gave me issues last time I tried to. I'm still working on getting that fixed. I may be able to hack something up though. No promises, performance usability are still my top priorities. But, I'll admit, I love the holo light theme from screens I've seen. I downloaded the ICS framework a few days ago to try getting holo as a side project.

I used the UOT and made some changes. Seems to go ok, you just have to mount /system and /data after you clear you cache and dalvik cache for it to work. I tried it with just flashing the zip but no dice. Rebooted, mounted and its working.

I posted a thread about it.