Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Default Re: Custom Kernel V 2.0 for the Samsung Replenish...

Alright, here's the problem I'm having. Please, somebody say you can help me.

I'm running the custom kernel v2.0.

I realized while trying to update an app via the market that I kept getting a FC. I thought maybe it was because I needed to wipe everything after the update, so I did that.

Now, the Market crashes every time I try to open it.

I tried to recover to v 1.0 of the Kernel (and the stock kernel) and on each instance it tells me that the MD5 checksum didn't match.

So now, I have no apps, and can't recover back to an earlier version of anything.

Any ideas? Can someone help me recover back to stock so I can try everything from scratch?

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by tentonbricks View Post
    Alright, here's the problem I'm having. Please, somebody say you can help me.

I'm running the custom kernel v2.0.

I realized while trying to update an app via the market that I kept getting a FC. I thought maybe it was because I needed to wipe everything after the update, so I did that.

Now, the Market crashes every time I try to open it.

I tried to recover to v 1.0 of the Kernel (and the stock kernel) and on each instance it tells me that the MD5 checksum didn't match.

So now, I have no apps, and can't recover back to an earlier version of anything.

Any ideas? Can someone help me recover back to stock so I can try everything from scratch?
    Try clearing data again or, less favorably, odin back to EK18 and re-install PhoeniX. To answer your other question, it isn't currently possible to go back to stock completely because I never thought to make a backup of it. I have the old odin images, but they don't include /cache, which we need CWM to replace anyways. Unless someone is kind enough to install CWM and backup BEFORE installing PhoeniX and posting it for me somewhere, we cannot currently return to full-fledged stock, though I can certainly fake it in every aspect aside from the file system.
    Last edited by firehak; 03-03-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: typo

I tried searching but seem to be missing...

Is EK18 posted somewhere?

ROM
    Stock

Yeah, someone made scattered posts linking it somewhere around here.. Here's a link to the post on . Be aware that I do know there are issues, this was before I knew what I was doing. I can't remember what all was wrong aside from shell commands not working correctly though, if you decide to boot into it. The custom kernel will also fail to boot if you go back because of the file system. It isn't because of anything Dmrlook did, it is because of a file in boot.img (where the kernel also is) that specifically has to state what type of file system is being mounted. So I don't recommend flashing it without PhoeniX

Alrighty then. back to EK18 it is. Fingers crossed.

i had to go to a early back up still phenox 2 no kernal change but try jus goin to phenox 2 and reodin it if you dont have the early backup

Great news, everyone!

I went back to the unmodified kernel (plus PhoeniX, of course), and everything is running smoothly once again.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #58  

I've had the FC issues with the market app as well, I did a wipe user data and wipe cache and that fixed it. The kernel should not have any bearing on the app working or not. I think sprint/samsungs implementation of GB has some flaws. It is not near stock GB. They modified it to pull out some functionality (e.g. SIP stack for example) and add sprint bloat (e.g. sprint ID, sprint hotspot which you may notice is ALWAYS running). So you should be able to go back to the Ver 2.0 kernel with no issues. CWM backup if you are concerned.

ROM
    Stock

PhoeniX 0.3 runs 2.0 of your kernel without issue as well. It's something else.

ROM
    Stock

Double post to catch the attention - anyone have overclock problems? My phone either locks up or reboots. I can underclock just fine. Attempting twice today shot my battery from 80 to 30 percent and it flew down after that. Today was the first time I attempted to leave ondemand because Sonic CD lagged too much. It played just fine before using the custom kernel since I assume we kept a constant 600mhz. So in my experience, it's great for battery life, but may need some tweaking unless I just don't know how to use it correctly.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #61  

overclocking all the time will kill the battery quickly. I use CPU Cruise Control to keep the max speed at 600 mhz unless I need an extra boost, then I set it to full overclock. I've been able to overclock with netflix no issues - watched a 30 minute show in fact. When I was done, I went back down to 600.

ROM
    Stock

Today was my first attempt, and not for any longer than a few seconds either. I did use your controller app and it didn't cause issues. My phone would just either lock up or reboot upon passing 600mhz. Not sure what happened to be honest. I'll try it again after a full charge though.

ROM
    Quattrimus ICS - AOKP

The same thing has happened to me. I do not knoow why but I put my phone up past 600 and it just freezes the phone. I've tried a few times and every once in a while it did worked fine. A few times, CruiseControl force closed.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock

Left ya a nice review for the app. Tried running an overclock again to find out the Replenish won't handle anything above 748mhz. The slider lets us go just beyond that limit, rebooting the phone regardless of whether or not it actually spikes that high. So for anyone else that had my issue, that's "748800" on the max slider. I set mine to this with on demand and Sonic CD played perfectly. Loading apps and screens was also near-instant at this speed. Just don't forget to go back when you finish playing so you don't kill the battery
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #65  

Thanks for the good review. I appreciate all I can get to counteract the idiots who give me one star because they installed the app on a non-rooted phone and then complain when it does not work. I wish I could delete those comments, but I can't.

As for the force closes you guys are seeing, I've fixed some bugs i the market released versions of the app that causes force closes. I need to roll those updates into your version and will do so sometime soon and release here.

As for the phone rebooting issue at high frequencies, I personally have not seen one reboot at any frequency. However, that being said, the stock setup for the CPU only allows 600 mhz, so anything more than that could cause reboots, etc. I got the overclocking numbers from someone else in the android community. He actually developed a kernel to go even faster, but I opted to not allow those values in my kernel as I felt they were too unstable and could potentially burn out the CPU.

CPU Cruise Control does not actually decide what frequencies to provide - it asks the kernel what frequencies it allows and then just customized the sliders to go to those. Just an FYI.

ROM
    Stock

Learn something new every day :P I thought it was the app for some reason. Do you have the latest kernel on your github, or is it still the one before adding the governors? Since it seems to slightly vary for us, I might like to decrease the max value for myself so I can safely use any value without forgetting I can't just flick the bar up as high as it can go to play a quick game.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #67  

I ran at the highest speed today for about 30 minutes (just browsing the web, doing e-mail, etc) with no reboots or freezes. I'm guessing your hardware must be out of trim a bit. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about that - that's a hardware thing done at the factory on a device by device basis.

I;ll get the git repo updated sometime soon. I've been looking into undervolting, so I need to clean things up. By the way, it appears our little CPU can not be undervolted from what I have read so far. So I don't know if I will be able to squeeze any more batt life out of this guy.

ROM
    all stock/slapkernel

awww.... do you have to already be rooted to use this? im on stock 2.3.6 and cant find a way of rooting.............

ROM
    all stock/slapkernel

ummm... quick question... does anyone know how to root 2.3.6? im on a samsung replenish and cant root... im thinking about PhoneiX but i dont want to without a recovery as a safety net. plus i have to wait til next month to do anything that completely changes the rom, considering its someone elses til they give it to me next month (theyre upgrading) and i cant clear the data, tho i can go ahead and root it.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #70  

There is no root method for the replenish on gb. You need to install phoenix rom to get root the easiest way. Phoenix rom 0.3 is coming out soon. I'd wait for that.

And yes. You need phoenix rom (which roots the phone) plus my custom kernel and an app like cruise control to overclock.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    10% PostConsumer/dmrlook

Yes u can root. You need to force su using odin and then change the permissions for su. This will NOT allow the custom kernel because it is based on a different file system. You can find the info in the root 2.3.6 thread.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    all stock/slapkernel

ghaaaaa...... and i have setcpu already. ill just factory reset and do you know if the SWUpgrade exploit will work for the flashing? you know, where you replace the contents of the the Program Files>Samsung Electronics>SWUpgrade>Models>Binary folder with what you want to flash? it seems alot simpler than messing with flashboot or odin. yes, ive rooted 3 phones (2 with superoneclick and one with the SWUpgrade + slapkernel v1.1) but ive only been messing with this stuff for maybe a week. and i had my first phone (inspire 4g) 5 or 6 monthes ago and switched plans in about 3 monthes, and now i have an xperia play 4g running (rooted) 2.3.3. Im a quick learn, but i still dont know all the flashing stuff

EDIT: and i know setcpu is a root only app, i meant i can just install after flashing PhoeniX

EDIT: didnt see the newest post before mine because its on the page after the one i bookmarked, but does that mean i cant flash phoenix if i do it? and how would i do it? what do i click in odin??? and where do i get the right form of su?
    Last edited by isavegas; 03-13-2012 at 10:01 AM.

ROM
    all stock/slapkernel

i followed a guide that let me flash cwm and install the app, but no root???

ughhh... i cant change the permissions.... i need chmod 644, right? every time i try it wont let me do it................ dont you have to have root to change permissions...? so im kinda running in circles....................................................... and su will install without odin.........................

UPDATE: CWM GIVES ME SU PERMISSIONS WHILE ITS RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by isavegas; 03-13-2012 at 10:21 AM.

ROM
    all stock/slapkernel

ghhaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i edited my post for a newer version of my tutorial and it turns out when i was off, my mom copied something and my clipboard is lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ugh... ill have to re-type it.... and no, i dont know my way around linux, i just went with what i thought would work. i guess im just cool like that. lol.
    Last edited by isavegas; 03-13-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    Thanked by:
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #75  

Great tutorial - thanks! Not for the faint of heart, but you obviously knonw your way around linux. Phoenix ROM would have done all this for you, but now there is no need to wait. As a preiocus post said, you need phoenix because my custom kernel assumes the ext4 filesystem is the active filesystem. You are currently running samsungs RFS (aka really f*in slow) file system.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast