Custom Kernel V 2.0 for the Samsung Replenish...

isavegas

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
okey dokey. ima keep a backup just in case tho (paranoid noob that i am ;) ill do that when i get a chance. i was just confused as to what the f$#% he was talking about. lol. i like to understand what im doing when i root something. thats why rooting the replenish was so fun! a bit scary (considering several times i was terrified i had bricked someone else's phone. lol) but fun! anyways, so i need to follow the Odin steps and let it boot like normal, then use a file explorer to find the install_recovery.sh and delete it? or do i delete it and then use odin? (see PARANOID NOOB) :D

and Firehak, you mentioned i should wait for PhoeniX 0.3? will it do the basic stuff stock does? (as in, will it run most, if not all, of the apps the stock replenish rom runs?)

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
PhoeniX 0.3 is nothing but a glorified stock running this custom kernel. I will actually admit that I don't do real Android development save for some basic apps at the moment and tweak my system performance.

Hey DMRLook, think this is worth looking into? It seems some good work is coming from the 3.x kernel development lately: Linux 3.3 Will Let You Boot Into Android: Greg-KH | Muktware. They hope to better its capability in 3.4, but I thought it might be worth taking a look at if you're interested.

Reactions: WILFREDOJR978

sleshepic

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
just wanted say thanks, have a replenish running this kernel and it has certainly boosted battery and speed. My gf's phone has been decreasing 1% an hour with some use! She now forgives me for messing with her phone :)

WILFREDOJR978

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
For a OC prorgam I use Voltage Control pretty good app.Just need root and it creates a zip incase for some reason your phone freezes up on you

LAUGHING OUT LOUD AT the like button reminds me of Facebook

Ive have edited the rom Took some stuff out made it light weight.Changed some things in the system/app folder as well removed some stuff too.

Last edited:

gamersoddesy

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Just read this page. install was a breeze. got cpu cruise installed fine. works great! gonna test battery life tomorrow. thanks dmrlook for this custom rom. and thanks firehak for phoenix rom. best two things ive installed ever. =)

ciscogee

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Since this is an entry level android phone (novice flashers and all) I noticed that in OP it states must be running Phoenix ROM.
Its a lil confusing (was to me too) when I was looking for a kernel to boot up phoenix rom...
One can flash this kernel first and phoenix rom after to get successful boot.

(Not sure if I made it less confusing)

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting on firehak. Just note that using SD-ext won't be a simple one click process like installing the kernel. That is because each user will need to save off the contents of the SD card, partition it the way they want, and then format it. All I do at the kernel level is enable the support for it and load the partition at boot time. Firehak wrote up a great instruction manual on the above steps. I provided some feedback and he is revising as necessary. I'll ping him to see where he is at.

ciscogee

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Oh I know that... I'm already partitioned on baddroidboys kernel. Running phoenix. Just looking to start theming on fb03.
Cause this set up I'm on has /system ext4 ro. I'm lost at figuring out how to get it rw anf flash my themes and mods

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2

anon(538593)

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
dmrlook - I'm anxiously waiting a version of your kernel that enables firehak's data2ext, running it on the stock kernel feels so slow now lol.

Do you think it would be possible to set SmartassV2 as the default governor at the kernel level? I know CruseControl can set it at boot, but I have an issue where (randomly) it switches back to the stock ondemand governor, which causes a huge performance hit without warning.

micronot

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I am currently running Phoenix .2 and I am using Link2SD, would I be able to install this kernel (will it play nicely with Link2SD)?

-Thanks

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes. What he said. Also, FYI everyone. My replenish is no more so I won't be able to do any more mods for this phone. I've now got a galaxy nexus phone running jelly bean. One hell of an improvement over the replenish I must say. That being said, we have been able to do more with the replenish than spirit ever intended. Its a great little phone. Enjoy it!

ciscogee

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
thats great news that you were able to move up in the android world.
sad news for us since you were the last of the contributing devs on this device.
ive been caught up with one of my other devices right now, but would love to (as well as everyone else) add sd-ext support to you kernels with your permission.