Custom Kernel V 2.0 for the Samsung Replenish...

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey All - Version 2.0 of the custom kernel for the Samsung Replenish is now formally RELEASED. A zip file is attached to this post. Please read this entire post before installing this updated kernel to make sure your phone meets the criteria to run this kernel.

Version 2.0 Release Notes:
This kernel contains all of the goodies release in version 1.0 with the addition of:
1. Over-clocking now enabled. For those of you using my app CruseControl, or who have an app like SetCPU installed, you will now see that there are an additional 6 frequencies with a max CPU speed of 787 mhz (the stock kernel only goes up to 600 mhz). As an idea of what this does for us, I have installed netflix from the android market and can actually view the content now with almost no jitter. For those of you who have tried this before, it was impossible to use netflix as the video and voice were completely out of synch. It is not almost perfect!

2. I tweaked the SmartassV2 kernel to provide better battery life. This is currently my governor of choice.

As with all kernel releases, use at your own risk. I always use my kernels before I release them, and have been using this version 2.0 for some time with no issues found. Note that some believe over-clocking for long periods of time can burn out a CPU. To prevent you from unknowingly usnig higher than stock supported CPU frequencies, I have set up this kernel to max out at 600 mhz (the stock max speed) UNLESS you specifically select higher CPU frequencies through CruseControl or some other CPU controlling app.

Version 1.0 Release Notes:
1. EXT4 support build into the kernel. This kernel is made specifically for Firehak's Phoenix ROM which switches our phones from the RFS file system to the EXT4 file system (this increases speed). This kernel does not support the old RFS file system currently. As such, ONLY install if you are running phoenix ROM 0.2 (or above).

2. Two additional CPU governors:
- The interactive governor
- The SmartassV2 governor.
A CPU governor "governs" the frequency of the CPU. The better ones strike a balance between speed and conservation of battery life. I have been running with the SmartassV2 governor and have noticed an increase in battery life as that governor will move the CPU frequency (speed) to its lowest allowed speed when the screen is off. Just google smartassV2 or interactive governor for details on what these governors do.

Prerequisites to installing this kernel:

And for anyone who is going to install this new kernel, your phone must:
1. Be running Phoenix ROM 0.2 or higher.
2. You must have ClockWorkMod recovery installed as the update.zip I will provide needs that to install properly.

I STRONGLY recommend you back up your phone through clockworkmod BEFORE you install the kernel. I have been running it for almost 2 weeks, and have used the update.zip to install it, however I am not responsible for any damage to your phone should you have issues with the install. If you have a backup, it will be easy to get back to the stock kernel.

Installation Instructions
1. Download the attached update_v2.zip file, rename if update.zip, and place it in the root directory of your SDCard.
2. Reboot to ClockWorkMod recovery mode (hold down the "U" key as you power up our phone)
3. Backup your phone if you have not already!
4. Once the backup is complete, select option "install ZIP from SDCard"
5. Select sub-option "apply /sdcard/update.zip"
6. Select the Yes option.
7. Reboot when complete.
The install takes just a few seconds. It will be obvious as you reboot if it worked or not as the splash screen at boot changes.

Let me know via this forum of successes (or failures which should not occur if you followed these instructions and you phone meets the install criteria outlined above).

Last edited:

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Custom Kernel V 1.0 for the Samsung Replenish...

Hey all - aside from the custom kernel, I have also created a new Android App you all can use to choose which governor you want to use and what speeds you want the governor to allow. This app is similar to the "SetCPU" app on the android market, with one important exception - my app is free for all of you. I plan to one day make the app a paid app on the market, but it will always be free for those of you running with my custom kernel.

The app is called "Cruse Control" and it is used to configure what governor is set as the default at phone boot time, The app requires root privileges, and since all of our phones are rooted, this won't be a problem for any of us :)

To use the app, first install it (apk linked to this post) and then click on its icon. It will immediately request root permissions. You need to press "Allow" otherwise the app can't really do anything. Once loaded, you can select the governor you want as your default at boot time, and then check the "select at boot" check box. The next time you reboot, my app will configure your kernel governor as you requested. You can also config the min and max speeds the governor will allow. For now, I set the max to the max (600000) and the min to the min (122880). The next release of my kernel will allow for over-clocking at speeds higher than 600 MHz, so these speed setting will be more useful at that time.

Note that this app will only auto-set your governor at boot time if you are running my custom kernel. Without my kernel, the app will still work, but you have to select the governor you want each time you reboot your phone.

There is now also a graph screen that will show you how long you are running at each of the CPU frequencies. Hopefully this will be useful as you choose which governor to use.

I'd like to ask that any of you who are willing please install my app and play with it a bit. You can see how the stock governors behave, and if you find any issues, or have suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited:

mcuevasi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the kernel, but I have a question. After I installed it, it said it was FA19 based, that doesn't mean we can install FA19 if we have phoenix 0.2 right?

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

It means the kernel is based off of the fa19 release, however there are still a number of android files that need to be updated. I am assuming firehaks 0.3 rom release will get us 100 percent to fa19. I only got our kernel there, plus some extra goodies as mentioned above. Glad you got it to install. I hope the process was easy.

anon(538593)

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

Another good install here. Downloaded and installed without even getting out of bed, super easy.

Big thanks!

mcuevasi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Oh ok thanks drmlook, and ya it was really easy to install, thank you. By the way do u know when 0.3 might come out though? Because I know firehak has been pretty busy so I'm just wondering if u had heard anything?

azmedic

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

Works great for me too. I wasn't able to download the crusecontrol apk though, it kept saying download failed. I had purchased setcpu awhile ago so I am using that. Much better battery life and performance already!

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Works great for me too. I wasn't able to download the crusecontrol apk though, it kept saying download failed. I had purchased setcpu awhile ago so I am using that. Much better battery life and performance already!

I had no problems downloading the APK - please let me know if anyone else is unable to download/install the APK. You don't need it if you have setcpu (and are welcome to buy it from the android market if you don't have it) but I figured I should provide a free version so you did not have to buy something to get the full use out of the kernel.

FYI - with the Smartass governor, you don't need to create a sleep profile as smartass automatically throttles down the CPU when the screen is off. That;s why my app does not have profiles - they are not needed and having them requires that the app is always active and monitoring the state of the device. Much more efficient to have the kernel governor do that!

Reactions: randyist

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I had no problems downloading the APK - please let me know if anyone else is unable to download/install the APK. You don't need it if you have setcpu (and are welcome to buy it from the android market if you don't have it) but I figured I should provide a free version so you did not have to buy something to get the full use out of the kernel.

FYI - with the Smartass governor, you don't need to create a sleep profile as smartass automatically throttles down the CPU when the screen is off. That;s why my app does not have profiles - they are not needed and having them requires that the app is always active and monitoring the state of the device. Much more efficient to have the kernel governor do that!

I downloaded both apks with success. Flashed update and rebooted. Install app. Reboot. Fiddle with selections. Selected OnDemand and start at boot and have been running awesome since. Haven't experienced any notiable lag, can't remember any, and is comparable to my Captivate. Very nicely done.

:)

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

randyist

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

Hey all - aside from the custom kernel, I have also created a new Android App you all can use to choose which governor you want to use and what speeds you want the governor to allow. This app is similar to the "SetCPU" app on the android market, with one important exception - my app is free for all of you. I plan to one day make the app a paid app on the market, but it will always be free for those of you running with my custom kernel.

The app is called "Cruse Control" and it is used to configure what governor is set as the default at phone boot time, The app requires root privileges, and since all of our phones are rooted, this won't be a problem for any of us :)

To use the app, first install it (apk linked to this post) and then click on its icon. It will immediately request root permissions. You need to press "Allow" otherwise the app can't really do anything. Once loaded, you can select the governor you want as your default at boot time, and then check the "select at boot" check box. The next time you reboot, my app will configure your kernel governor as you requested. You can also config the min and max speeds the governor will allow. For now, I set the max to the max (600000) and the min to the min (122880). The next release of my kernel will allow for over-clocking at speeds higher than 600 MHz, so these speed setting will be more useful at that time.

Note that this app will only auto-set your governor at boot time if you are running my custom kernel. Without my kernel, the app will still work, but you have to select the governor you want each time you reboot your phone.

I'd like to ask that any of you who are willing please install my app and play with it a bit. You can see how the stock governors behave, and if you find any issues, or have suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Our Phones would suck without you. Thank you so much!

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Oh ok thanks drmlook, and ya it was really easy to install, thank you. By the way do u know when 0.3 might come out though? Because I know firehak has been pretty busy so I'm just wondering if u had heard anything?

Sorry to keep you all waiting, I'm having computer issues again at the moment. I'm absolutely sick of re-installing windows and am trying to repair it without transferring files again. Though it doesn't affect Android stuff really, I've been trying to repair the built in .NET 2.0 framework. Somehow, it got corrupted and will not repair itself using any answers Microsoft has posted. Because of that, a lot of my applications, including some installed with windows, completely refuse to work. It may not be a big deal for getting rom releases out, but I'm also a .NET developer, so it affects me a great deal not being able to use it.

It means the kernel is based off of the fa19 release, however there are still a number of android files that need to be updated. I am assuming firehaks 0.3 rom release will get us 100 percent to fa19. I only got our kernel there, plus some extra goodies as mentioned above. Glad you got it to install. I hope the process was easy.

That's still the plan, sorry to be so out of touch with everyone lately. Between the issues above and some personal things, I've been a bit busy. Thanks for getting this out there for everyone. :)

mcuevasi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Don't be sorry firehak, you've done wat most of us could probably never do with these phones haha. But thanks for telling us why u haven't been on the forums lately. I've been checking for the past weeks and I've been anxious to hear about updates from you, that's why I asked haha. But take your time man, I'm jst glad you take your time to do all of this for the rest of us replenish-disabled people haha.

randyist

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

Been running this new Kernel since last night - No Problems reported. Battery Life is MUCH better.

azmedic

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

I put this on my wife's replenish too. I was able to get the zip on my phone but had to use my laptop for the apk. It is working great! Thanks for all your work!

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I wasn't able to download the apk, either.

So for those of you who can not download the APK, what are you trying? Are you downloading it on your phone? If that does not work, try download the APK to a computer, and then copy it over to your SDCard and install off of that. Or, after downloaded to your computer, switch to the directory where the APK file is and type:

adb install CruseControl.apk

and that will install it. Note you need to have the option enabled to allow app installs from sources other than the android market.

And FYI - I am working on version two of the app - this one will provide some metrics to help you decide which governor is the best one to use. Stay tuned for that.

I will also be releasing the next versino of the kernel to allow over-clocking. I'll post here when it is available.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dawsonnathalie