Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

ROM
    Phoenix 2

Default Re: [Root Method] Samsung Replenish Android 2.3.6

does this still work?

So you can get a temporary root in ADB while in cwm... and then you move the su file into place, which it'll delete but keep root in the kernel? You can't use su with most apps, but wifi tether will work?

What about install busybox or other apps with ADB while in cwm?

Hi Guys,
    Well I'm brand spanking new to this and to cell phone "moding" (if that's what it's called, yah I'm that green, lol). I've used puters forever, so long ago that it was back when DOS was king ;?D and so while I kinda get the drift I still feel like a fish outta water here.

Anyway, I've just picked up a Boost Mobile Replenish for my daughter, who's in college and needs an affordable phone and internet service. I'd read that you can tether a PC to your phone, but initially it sounded a lot easier than what I'm discovering on these boards, lol, but I ain't stupid so I'm hoping to figure this out, just need to find a complete newbs guide (and I AM planning on reading more, just want peeps here to know why I may sound as dumb as dirt at times ).

So I guess my first question is whether there's a fix that currently works - the original poster edited this on 3/27/2012 stating that "this root method may or may not work", which doesn't exactly recommend it as something to try. Now just to reiterate, I am working with a brand new BM Replenish, hasn't even been activated because I wanted to make sure I had all my ducks in order. Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated ;?D

Edit: Hah, just found out I'm a "civilian", lol.
    Last edited by cymerax; 04-30-2012 at 12:58 AM. Reason: comment

ROM
    10% PostConsumer/dmrlook

You should not need to modify anything for the usb tether to work, just go into Settings > Wireless and Networks > Tethering.
    Thanked by 2:

Thanks Man, but I'm not able to do that. That is when I open the Wireless and Networks there's no "Tethering" setting. Plus I thought from what I've been reading that, at least with Boost Mobile, there's no factory setting to allow you to connect your 'puter to the internets ;?)
    But I'd sure be happy to find out I'm wrong
    Thanked by:

I read something about an app called Easy Tether - does anyone know if this will work on a BM Replenish?

Edit: Also found PDANet and ClockworkMod Tether and was wondering which of these three either work or work the best?
    Last edited by cymerax; 04-30-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: additional question
    Thanked by:

i have spemd hours on several different sites and tried several different methods to root my replenish m580 gingerbread fa19 kernal 2.6.35.7 with android 2.3.6 and this method i thought would work accept i cant figure out how to get my phone into download mode i tried the spaceP and also vol down camera and power and neither worked...any help?
    Thanked by:

I need help rooting my Samsung Replenish when it says Downloading... In yellow when I plug it in my cpu says its Installing then it fails so I cant root it and it makes me SO MAD Can someone please help me PLEASE

having troulbe with command prompt, i have no idea how to get to file or setup, or commands for the file can you take a picture on how your command prompt was steup?

I have a samsung replenish and I don't know anything about rooting it but I want to make it a hotspot I don't have a computer but I have a tablet is there a way to put the file on there if so how?

ROM
    Stock Rom/DMRLook3.0FB03

Quote Originally Posted by fishy2010 View Post
    I have a samsung replenish and I don't know anything about rooting it but I want to make it a hotspot I don't have a computer but I have a tablet is there a way to put the file on there if so how?
    That would be awesome to use a tablet to root/dev

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

But how.. I use my usb cord but it just says damaged usb when there's nothing wrong with it
    Thanked by:

I'm still having problems when I can't download the thing for the pc and when I go to turn my phone back on and put it in download mode it won't reboot when I connect it idk what I'm doing wrong is there an easier way for people who don't understand this?

As of 9/27/2012 (D/MM/YYYY) this method is still working, thank you so much for this method. You are a king.

ROM
    Gingerbread 2.3.6

Just curious, which is more effective. isavegas's root method or firehak's phoenix rom? ---coming from a samsung replenish 2.3.6 on boost
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by cymerax View Post
    I read something about an app called Easy Tether - does anyone know if this will work on a BM Replenish?

Edit: Also found PDANet and ClockworkMod Tether and was wondering which of these three either work or work the best?
    Yep it does work, was my first time I used a phone as a modem for my lap top, use google play in the replenish, download both files the one for replenish and the one for the Computer.
    There are no stupid questions, only stupids that don't ask. Author: Anonymous.

figures i finally find a place to dl the driver i need and the link dont work no more

ROM
    Stock Rom/DMRLook3.0FB03

Google replenish or sph-m580 driver.

Sent from my SPH-M580BST using Tapatalk 2

I have a Sprint Samsung m580, I would like to be able to use it with straight talk or some other mobile provider. I don't know anything about rooting, but am pretty good with computers, n i think if i had someone to tell me how I would be fine, do you know how I could do this and not have to pay for a code?

Straight Talk is a GSM service and the Sprint Replenish is a CDMA phone so there is no way that the Replenish will ever work with Straight Talk since they use completely different transmission protocols.

It may be possible to make it work with Boost Mobile (since some other Sprint phones have been converted) but I can't recall anyone here mentioning that they've done that. I think you have to figure out how to change the PRLs. Not sure.

If you follow the instructions for installing PhoenixROM 0.2, you'll be rooted with PhoenixROM 0.2. I know that PhoenixROM 0.2 can be used by both Sprint and Boost phone owners. But I think you still have to change the PRLs or something in order to make the phone connect to Boost's network. PhoenixROM will give you more memory and make your phone run better. If you follow the instructions at the following guide, you'll gain even more performance.
    How to increase performance & memory of your Replenish and make it a nice phone.

Hi, I'm using a mac so I used wineskin to run the Odin file. However when I click on the start option a message pops up telling me that the phone isnt connected when I can see that it is and my computer recognizes it as a ethernet device. Any help please? I'd really like to root my device.

Even on a PC it can be difficult to Odin in. I couldn't get it to work on any of the USB ports on one of my PCs (even though it had the right driver) so I had to switch to another PC. Others have complained of the same problem. You can try a different USB port. Otherwise you might have to find a PC (or 2 or 3).

The first file, the exe one, isn't on mediafire anymore. Someone reported it as piracy T_T

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie Dunlap View Post
    The first file, the exe one, isn't on mediafire anymore.
    That file is just the Samsung USB driver. You can get that from Samsung's website.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua.worth View Post
    ***edit 3/27/2012 this root method may or may not work I've asked the mods to remove thread nothing yet though.

***Busybox currently is not installing
    It worked great for me when other methods didn't, and I was able to get Busybox installed! So thanks, and please leave the post up!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123