[Root Method] Samsung Replenish Android 2.3.6

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
***edit 3/27/2012 this root method may or may not work I've asked the mods to remove thread nothing yet though.

***Busybox currently is not installing

*You are Voiding your warranty anything you chose to do from something you read on this thread is all on you!

Now lets get started shall we :)
1. Download and Install this on your Windows PC
SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe

2. Download and Extract this to a new folder
Odin.zip (7.75 MB)

Then download Super User Zip to Your SDcard and move it to the root of your SDcard

Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip

Ready? Read carefully let me know if I missed anything.
1. Open odin and make sure "one package" is checked
2. Click the ops button and browse for the included .ops file
3. Click the "one package" button and browse for "Replenish-CWM5.tar"
4. Now power off the phone
5. Hold down the Spacebar+P on the keyboard as you power up the device.
6. Make sure to keep holding down Spacebar+P until your device is in download mode (or equivalent I forget what it said exactly)
7. Now plug it into your USB cable and start the process
8. The phone will reboot automatically, so be ready to hold the "u" key while it boots
9. Now in CWM Recovery choose install from sdcard then choose zip from sdcard and then select the Superuser-3.zip that you downloaded earlier.
10. Click the back button a couple times till you see reboot system now
Reboot
Enjoy root
You can find Busybox Installer in the market
Thank Firehak for leading me in the right direction:)
(Edited for clarity on Tapatalk)

Last edited:

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Ha. So you essentially found exactly what I did, I just never released it as a root method since we didn't technically exploit anything. :p I used my own update.zip file though

Reactions: borikua787

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Ha. So you essentially found exactly what I did, I just never released it as a root method since we didn't technically exploit anything. :p I used my own update.zip file though

What do you mean you flashed a whole new Rom as apposed to flashing su.zip?

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I never released a rooting method because I didn't create a one click exploit or anything. I got root by flashing CWM and fixing permissions for the files that were already there after upgrading to GB from Froyo. After that I just started dumping backups to create and test roms. Since I didn't release a method I ended up releasing odin images for rooted and non-rooted, though I found out that I messed them up because I didn't fix broken toolbox links

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I need to look for a different way, actually more so because I'm kind of curious at this point. Rom Manager I've seen bricks devices when flashing CWM for the Replenish?

I'm wondering though if their fix permissions utility would work for this device it doesn't flash anything. And that would be a quick simple fix.

Sent from my HTC Hero S

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Okay so I need to look for a different way, actually more so because I'm kind of curious at this point. Rom Manager I've seen bricks devices when flashing CWM for the Replenish?

I'm wondering though if their fix permissions utility would work for this device it doesn't flash anything. And that would be a quick simple fix.

Sent from my HTC Hero S

There is absolutely no support nor guarantee that anything ROM Manager does will work with our phones. I've been meaning to add my rom and a stock rom to ACS Updater which is basically the same thing, but easier to add roms to.

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not too certain if this is an actual root method I've had to flash it again everytime after attempting to install busybox. Root Checker Pro shows it as rooted until attempting to install busybox then it says root is not configured properly. Rom manager couldn't even get root. Oh well. It works for what I need it for wifi tether.

Sent from my Boost Replenish

Last edited:

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Scratch that went and checked now and this is what it said
IMAG0300.jpg

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
That's the issue with root being there, but not having correct permissions. It'll act pretty messed up until you get it right

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
That's the issue with root being there, but not having correct permissions. It'll act pretty messed up until you get it right

That's exactly what I'm going to have to figure out how to do. For the Android Community, the device already is serving the purpose I need it to serve.

Sent from my HTC Hero S

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I might just slap together a quick update.zip for the community then. On top of creating an installer for sprint and boost versions of PhoeniX, I also need to make one to format the file system (users who installed PhoeniX 0.2 already have ext4) before installing PhoeniX too. So I'll be making quite a few already.

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I might just slap together a quick update.zip for the community then. On top of creating an installer for sprint and boost versions of PhoeniX, I also need to make one to format the file system (users who installed PhoeniX 0.2 already have ext4) before installing PhoeniX too. So I'll be making quite a few already.

Awesome bro I appreciate it as I'm sure the future Boost Replenish owners will as well.

Sent from my HTC Hero S

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
When I get around to making it after the PhoeniX release though, I won't be making different versions though. It will include root and busybox in one file. I'm too lazy to keep up with multiple things. Just a heads up. :p

damien47

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
im glad it works for you it says you should have root but when i go to root checker it says i dont have root access idk what to do need some help here

chefaroo

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, J

I am really happy for your Replenish root success. My goal is to accomplish the same results so I can create a mobile hotspot; however, when I start the process I receive an error message stating "an unnamed file was not found."

Could you help me get through this, please? I really have no experience with any type of phone mods, so I won't take offense if you feel the need to be very specific..ha.

Many thanks

man or astroman

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Just a note for anyone else who may have this issue, after following the above steps su was installed but it would not work, any requests for root access were ignored.

I rebooted with no luck, i then held down u while rebooting and just pressed reboot now...

I don't know why but it everything is running smoothly now...

Edit: After having similar issues with busybox not installing and su ignoring requests. I currently have root access and installed busy box using this method. Followed the original steps... rebooted... updated su from the su menu... rebooted... installed busy box the market installer... reboot.
Busybox 1.18.4 installed.

Bear with me I'm learning...
Re-edit: ok that version of busybox was just included in titanium back up... from there I downloaded Android terminal editor and followed firehaks instructions.
Open the emulator and....
Cd system/xbin/su
Press enter
Chkmod 06755
Press enter
Reset the emulator from the menu then...
Cd system/bin/su
Chmod 06755
Then install busybox....

Last edited:

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
If you end up having issues with root, it's likely a permissions error. The kernel is set to boot as root though, so any time you use adb from your computer you're already root. That makes it easy, and then you just have to do "chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su" and "chmod 06755 /system/bin/su" I believe it's 06755, but I'm too tired to go check right now.. 3:18 in the morning here.. :p

jpadua87

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, Im a noob when it comes to rooting android phones. I followed all the steps that Joshua.Worth typed in and received the same screen shot from rootchecker indicating that my phone is rooted. However, when I try to install busybox installer, I receive a message not allowing me to go any futher, and it states the installation was unsuccessful. A lil help here please. I don't know what to do from here. I granted permission from SuperUser but it wont let me install busybox. I then go back to root checker and it indicates my phone is not rooted.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel