my root guide for stock 2.3.6 replenish

isavegas

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
alt link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...tps://www.box.com/shared/620b03e95cc0814fefc8 and unzip to your desktop. if you dont have the android sdk, simply copy the "adb.exe" file from "odin.zip" to the root of your primary drive for later. Just go to "computer" and double click the top icon/item. It should say something about C:/. If you're on Mac, sorry. Idk much about it. As for Linux, I have no clue how you'd even try to do this. I love Linux but, sadly, can't experiment with this in it. WINE has its limits....... And I don't think adb or Odin would work.

2. download the "su" file and put into into "platform-tools" where you installed the android sdk, if you have it, or put onto the root of your primary drive if you havent.

3. start phone while holding "spacebar" and "p". "downloading..." should appear on the screen in yellow text

4. plug into the computer and run "Odin_Multi_Downloader_v4.42.exe"

5. select SPHM580.ops for "OPS" and Replenish-CWM5.tar for "One Package" (they should be the only options) DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!

6. hit "Start" and DO NOT REMOVE PHONE FROM USB.

7. as the phone reboots, hold "u" until CWM opens and set the phone down. you should close Odin now.

8. use the volume keys to navigate to the backup and restore option and use enter to select backup. wait for it to finish completely and take you back to the the CWM main UI. backing up here creates a pure recovery, untouched by anything. CWM is NOT installed into this recovery. continue with the guide.

9. open the command prompt (type cmd.exe in search or run in the start menu, depending on your version of windows) or use some form of terminal emulator on your operating system of choice. command prompt is preferred due to the fact i know it can get the job done, but do what you will.

10. navigate to the drive your sdk is on and into "platform-tools" or to the folder you put the adb.exe and su files on. the default should be [name of drive]:\Users\[username]\. use the "cd.." command til youre at the root of the drive, and if you installed the sdk, type "cd android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" or just go to the root of the drive and go to the next step if you havent. just be sure adb.exe and su are there.

11. type this in line for line, with enters in between. the blue "~#" in the later lines is the prompt you should have. do not type this. it will be in blue. (clockworkmod should still be open on your phone at this point)

adb shell
~#mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/stl12 /system
~#exit
adb push su /system/bin/

adb shell
~#chmod 777 /system/bin/su
~#reboot

DO NOT CLOSE THE COMMAND PROMPT YET FOR THE SAKE OF CONVENIENCE

If you have problems with that, try using CWM to mount "/system". Some friendly people over at androidcentral pointed that out. I personally didn't have that problem, but I'm glad it's fixed.

12. when your phone has rebooted, go back to the open command prompt, which should be where it was before you typed "adb shell"

13. type "adb shell". you will see a prompt of "$." type "su." if you have a prompt of "#" rejoice! you have permanent root! now you can go on the Play Store and find "Superuser" and "Busybox" (they should be free. if you cant find it, get ahold of me and ill try to supply the newest updates) if not, and you have a backup from optional step 2, you should go through til you hit CWM and restore the backup. if not, make one now and reattempt everything aside from downloads and the moving the files around on your computer. Also, someone said something about "chmod 06755 /system/bin/su", so if you might try using that instead of "chmod 777 /system/bin/su". 777 worked for me, but maybe this works better for you.

OPTIONAL FINISH STEP: I dont know how you install CWM permanently, but you should do this so you can make backups of your rom and store them somewhere like on a box.com or mediafire.com account if you decide to mess with something on your phone. (use hjsplit to break it into pieces for uploading and reassemble after download for flashing if its too big). to use a recovery, enter CWM (either the way i have here or if you have permanently installed, just reboot and hold "u") and navigate to "backup and restore," "restore," and select the recovery you wish to use on your sd card (make sure when you take out a backup for storage, you zip up the entire folder with the name that contains the date and time of your backup.) it will overwrite everything on your phone to be exactly like it was when you backed it up.

good luck! have fun! :D

Note: if you rename the CWM backup file, make sure it DOESN'T HAVE A SPACE or it'll give you something about md5 or something not matching. If it says this, remove any spaces in the name and try again. I had it happen on my xperia play and freaked, thinking it was soft-bricked permanently one time, til I found out about cwm's glitch with that.
Also, I uploaded pretty much everything needed for rooting the phone, with comments pertaining to each file. This includes current (as of July 31, 2012) copies of Superuser.apk, a busybox installer, and the busybox and su binaries, as well the Odin package containing the tools to temp flash CWM.

the odin.zip file and the process of achieving CWM temp-flashing was found at http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...method-samsung-replenish-android-2-3-6-a.html and credit for that part is given to joshua.worth, although I took it a different path than he did.
Update to above info: to simplify things, I uploaded all relevant files to box so people can get them easier. The su file went missing from xda, most importantly, so I fixed that, and added an updated binary in case someone has trouble with the other one.

contact me at isavegas@live.com if you cant pm me. :)

Sorry if it takes a while to respond. Life's been kinda crazy for me lately, and I am using my new phone (no service) to do this over wifi.

Last edited:
Reactions: joshua.worth

m0stw8nt3d

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I tried following your guide but i'm stuck at the point where you use the adb shell and mount the mtdblock3. when i run the mount command i get an invalid argument. i downloaded terminal emulator and cd into /dev/block but could not find the mtdblock3 file in there. any ideas for what i'm doing wrong?

wlrlbam

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
yea guys im having the same problem with the mount command. i get this:

C:\>adb shell
~ # mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount: mounting /dev/block/mtdblock3 on /system failed: Invalid argument

ddubczak

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Here's a few troubleshooting steps I took:

When I tried the "~#mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system" command, I got an invalid argument error. I went to the phone in CWM and mounted /system. That took care of the error.

When I tried to Push adb, all the files copied over. However, it appears the su file was copied to the directory system/bin/system/bin/su, and the phone was not successfully rooted. I copied bin folder into the main su folder in the Android SDK platform-tools directory, and tried to push "~#adb push su/system/" instead. Still didn't successfully root the phone.

However, I found another work around. All I wanted to root the phone for was to move some apps to the SD card. I found this article about moving more apps to the SD card without ROOT access: http://mobiputing.com/2011/04/how-to-move-almost-any-android-app-to-the-sd-card-without-root/

Reactions: lukychmz

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
REVISED TUTORIAL IN ROOTING 2.3.6 SAMSUNG REPLENISH
warning for experienced adb users!: this was made with noobs in mind. you may learn something (from me! a noob! XD) but anyways, enjoy!

this does not affect anything on the phone except for adding the ability to access root permissions. CWM (hover over any acronym with dots under it to see the full name) is not permanent, it disappears after you use it, and nothing on the phone is affected, as far as i know. i had just factory reset the phone, so use at your own risk...

you may need to know:
root of a drive- C:\ or D:\. the point you cannot "go broader" (aka-exit the folder youre in) without leaving the drive

OPTIONAL PRE-REQUISITE STEP: make sure you have at least 400 mb of memory (i know, thats alot, but just in case) on your sd card so you can back up your entire phone! i reccomend doing them all (dont do 2 and not one!!!!!!!!!!!)!!!

1. download here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/at...809-jump-development-boost-replenish-odin.zip and unzip to your desktop. if you dont have the android sdk, simply copy the adb.exe file to the root of your primary drive for later

this was put together by joshua.worth and i will remove at his discretion.

2. download the su.zip attatchment and unzip into "platform-tools" where you installed the android sdk, if you have it, or put onto the root of your primary drive if you havent.

3. start phone while holding "spacebar" and "p". "downloading..." should appear on the screen in yellow text

4. plug into the computer and run "Odin_Multi_Downloader_v4.42.exe"

5. select SPHM580.ops for "OPS" and Replenish-CWM5.tar for "One Package" (they should be the only options) DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE

6. hit "Start" and DO NOT REMOVE FROM THE USB.

7. as the phone reboots, hold "u" until CWM opens and set the phone down. you should close Odin now.

OPTIONAL FOLLOW UP STEP: use the volume keys to navigate to the backup and restore option and use enter to select backup. wait for it to finish completely and take you back to the the CWM main UI. continue with the guide

8. open the command prompt (type cmd.exe in search or run in the start menu, depending on your version of windows) or use some form of terminal emulator on your operating system of choice. command prompt is preferred due to the fact i know it can get the job done, but do what you will.

9. navigate to the drive your sdk is on and into "platform-tools" or to the folder you put the adb.exe and su files on. the default should be [name of drive]:\Users\[username]\. use the "cd.." command til youre at the root of the drive, and if you installed the sdk, type "cd android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" or just go to the root of the drive and go to the next step if you havent. just be sure adb.exe and su are there.

10. type this in line for line, with enters in between. the blue "~#" in the later lines is the prompt you should have. do not type this. it will be in blue. (clockworkmod should still be open on your phone at this point)

adb shell
~#mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
~#exit
adb push su /system/bin/
~#chmod 777 /system/bin/su
~#reboot

DO NOT CLOSE THE COMMAND PROMPT YET FOR THE SAKE OF CONVENIENCE

11. when you're phone has rebooted, go back to the open command prompt, which should be where it was before you typed "adb shell"

12. type "adb shell". you will see a prompt of "$." type "su." if you have a prompt of "#" rejoice! you have permanent root! now you can go on the Play Store and find "Superuser" and "Busybox" (they should be free. if you cant find it, get ahold of me and ill try to supply the newest updates) if not, and you have a backup from optional step 2, you should go through til you hit CWM and restore the backup. if not, make one now and reattempt everything aside from downloads and the moving the files around on your computer.

OPTIONAL FINISH STEP: i dont know how you install CWM permanently, but you should do this so you can make routine backups of your rom and store them somewhere like on a box.com or mediafire.com account. (use hjsplit to break it into pieces for uploading and reassemble after download for flashing if its too big). to use a recovery, enter CWM (either the way i have here or if you have permanently installed, just reboot and hold "u") and navigate to "backup and restore," "restore," and select the recovery you wish to use on your sd card (make sure when you take out a backup for storage, you zip up the entire folder with the name that contains the date and time of your backup.) it will overwrite everything on your phone to be exactly like it was when you backed it up.

good luck! have fun! :D

contact me at isavegas@live.com

Good work, glad you put this together as I haven't had much time and no longer have the device. I am concerned though that this thread got buried and mine remained at the top lets see about getting this stickied

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

Reactions: isavegas

Unit01

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok,

This is my wife's phone, and I am quite happy just being able to use ODIN to get a CWM backup of her device :)

Sprint Samsung Replenish
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband: S:M580.06 x.FA19
Kernel: 2.6.35.7

:'( However, I get the CHMOD done on the su file, reboot, and I am neither able to run 'su', nor am I able to install busybox (obvious reasons). There is a good chance this is not working for me at this point due to some OTA update that occurred since this was released, but I have followed the directions as stated by "isavegas" with the addition that I did have to use CWM to mount the /system (as suggested by ddubczak). This has to be done prior to step 8 in order to do the remount command.

At any rate, I get all the way to the point where I have used adb push to get the version of su from the zip into the /system/bin folder. Just for good measure, I have also copied su to the /system/xbin, but still no dice. I have listed what I get below, and I have tried this all the way through three times with the same result. I am asking for advice before I wipe my wife's phone and simply load one of the pre-root ROMs:

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
~ # exit
exit

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push su /system/xbin/su
549 KB/s (26324 bytes in 0.046s)

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push su /system/bin/su
411 KB/s (26324 bytes in 0.062s)

~ # ls
ls
boot etc sd-ext
cache init sdcard
data init.rc sys
datadata lib system
default.prop proc tmp
dev res ueventd.goldfish.rc
efs root ueventd.rc
emmc sbin ueventd.sph-m580.rc
~ # cd /system
cd /system
/system # cd xbin
cd xbin
/system/xbin # ls
ls
dexdump su
/system/xbin # ls -al
ls -al
drwxr-xr-x 1 root shell 0 May 13 22:46 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 May 13 22:45 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root shell 60264 Aug 1 2008 dexdump
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 26324 Jun 4 2011 su
/system/xbin # chmod 777 /system/xbin/su
chmod 777 /system/xbin/su
/system/xbin # chmod 777 /system/bin/su
chmod 777 /system/bin/su
/system/xbin # ls -al
ls -al
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26324 Jun 4 2011 su
/system/xbin # reboot
reboot

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
M580e06d7c51 device

$ su
su
Permission denied
$ sudo
sudo
sudo: permission denied
$ su
su
Permission denied
$
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>

Last edited:

Ace.ExE

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I had root working perfectly last night, then all of a sudden today it won't work.... it keeps giving me "app" has been denied superuser permissions"... and when I go into adb shell and type su, all I get is $ rather than #

joshbdoc

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I had root working perfectly last night, then all of a sudden today it won't work.... it keeps giving me "app" has been denied superuser permissions"... and when I go into adb shell and type su, all I get is $ rather than #

I'm getting the same thing. I think I might hate this phone

joshbdoc

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
its not the phone its the root (its not perm root) for perm root you need a rooted kernel like the one Dmrlook has posted for stock filesystems that is a perm rooted kernel

I sorted myself out with perm root by flashing PhoenixROM 0.2 to the phone. Now I'm having trouble getting the wifi tethering to work... oh well, I'm moving along at least. :)

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I sorted myself out with perm root by flashing PhoenixROM 0.2 to the phone. Now I'm having trouble getting the wifi tethering to work... oh well, I'm moving along at least. :)

Thats a start i also setup a perm root for my brother, using Phoenix and did a pull of his stock FB03 for Boost before that and DEODEXED it and put the deodexed frames in the phoenix .zip removed the twframework and twframework-res and it loads and runs just fine.

trenchkato

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have to chime in and say that this worked for me even though i would get the Permission denied when using the su command in the shell

isavegas

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm SOOO sorry I haven't been available, but my life has been pretty hectic these last few monthes. I'll go over this again and revise it, but I no longer have the device, nor a computer. SOOOOOOO sorry. All advice will be theoretical, but ill do my best.

isavegas

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok,

This is my wife's phone, and I am quite happy just being able to use ODIN to get a CWM backup of her device :)

Sprint Samsung Replenish
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband: S:M580.06 x.FA19
Kernel: 2.6.35.7

:'( However, I get the CHMOD done on the su file, reboot, and I am neither able to run 'su', nor am I able to install busybox (obvious reasons). There is a good chance this is not working for me at this point due to some OTA update that occurred since this was released, but I have followed the directions as stated by "isavegas" with the addition that I did have to use CWM to mount the /system (as suggested by ddubczak). This has to be done prior to step 8 in order to do the remount command.

At any rate, I get all the way to the point where I have used adb push to get the version of su from the zip into the /system/bin folder. Just for good measure, I have also copied su to the /system/xbin, but still no dice. I have listed what I get below, and I have tried this all the way through three times with the same result. I am asking for advice before I wipe my wife's phone and simply load one of the pre-root ROMs:

~ # exit
exit

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push su /system/xbin/su
549 KB/s (26324 bytes in 0.046s)

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push su /system/bin/su
411 KB/s (26324 bytes in 0.062s)

~ # ls
ls
boot etc sd-ext
cache init sdcard
data init.rc sys
datadata lib system
default.prop proc tmp
dev res ueventd.goldfish.rc
efs root ueventd.rc
emmc sbin ueventd.sph-m580.rc
~ # cd /system
cd /system
/system # cd xbin
cd xbin
/system/xbin # ls
ls
dexdump su
/system/xbin # ls -al
ls -al
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 26324 Jun 4 2011 su
/system/xbin # chmod 777 /system/xbin/su
chmod 777 /system/xbin/su
/system/xbin # chmod 777 /system/bin/su
chmod 777 /system/bin/su
/system/xbin # ls -al
ls -al
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26324 Jun 4 2011 su
/system/xbin # reboot
reboot

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
M580e06d7c51 device

$ su
su
Permission denied
$ sudo
sudo
sudo: permission denied
$ su
su
Permission denied
$
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>

Uhhhhhhhhh.... I have no clue what you're doing with all the stuff after pushing su. You obviously outclass me when it comes to this stuff. Lol. Only thing I can think of is that you have to use superuser (app from the play store) to give anything other than adb root permissions. Is adb getting su on a normal boot? Busybox and any terminal emulator get denied, I think, by default if superuser isn't there to give it permission. It's like on pc Linux, where you have to use the terminal, which has root permissions locked by password, to give other programs permission to boot with root. But there is no built in terminal in android, only adb. So superuser fills the slot, and gives you the ability to run android apps with root permissions without using adb to force it to give it to them every time it calls for them. And trust me, that would be very hard to set up.

Anyways, point is, try installing superuser and THEN try installing Busybox.