Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    10% PostConsumer/dmrlook

Default Space saving app

I have read a great deal of people talking about how they are low on space and thought I might share with you fellow noobs an app that I have found that helps out with this issue.
    Its called Apps2Rom.
    It saves a ton of space.
    What it does is move apps to your rom partion of your internal memory.
    The main purpose of this is to move apps that have been updated. These apps take up space in both Rom memory and internal memory.
    The market/play store is a good example of this. You don't need the old one anymore, so this will help you get rid of it and free up that 6mb or so of space.
    You can move system apps AND non system apps.
    I have moved my GO launcher and theme, clock/weather, file explorer, widgetsoid, and many other apps and widgets. They are now part of my rom. I picked ones with little or no sd support from good devs.
    My theme, clock and widgets are now all loaded up on boot.

You have to be rooted.
    You have to have free space in your rom.
    I think Phoenix has 17 mb of free rom space to start.
    I don't recall what stock had when I started messing with it.
    Both stock and Phoenix have system apps that you do not need.
    There is a list in one of these forums with apps that can be safely deleted...
    You can uninstall them with titanium backup or whatever and then free up space for the apps you want. You can't always restore system apps with titanium so be careful.
    YOU WILL PROBABLY MESS UP YOUR PHONE AND DELETE THINGS YOU SHOULDN'T SO MAKE A WORKING BACKUP WITH ODIN/CWM!!!
    I would make a few of these as you experiment with deleting different apps. If you don't know how to do this look around in the forums.
    Still can't figure it out ask and we will tell you...
    REMEMBER....
    You break it you buy it, not me!
    Last edited by man or astroman; 03-26-2012 at 10:56 PM.

ROM
    CyanogenMod 9/ Tiamat

Default Re: Space saving app

Thanks a lot for sharing your discovery. The app works Beautifully. My phone went from low space warnigs to LITERALLY half full.

This thing will save many people a lot of agrivation. Keep up the good work and you'll be a hero around here in no time. LOL
    Android Guru

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.1.1 Jelly Belly

Quote Originally Posted by man or astroman View Post
    I have read a great deal of people talking about how they are low on space and thought I might share with you fellow noobs an app that I have found that helps out with this issue.
    Its called Apps2Rom.
    It saves a ton of space.
    What it does is move apps to your rom partion of your internal memory.
    The main purpose of this is to move apps that have been updated. These apps take up space in both Rom memory and internal memory.
    The market/play store is a good example of this. You don't need the old one anymore, so this will help you get rid of it and free up that 6mb or so of space.
    You can move system apps AND non system apps.
    I have moved my GO launcher and theme, clock/weather, file explorer, widgetsoid, and many other apps and widgets. They are now part of my rom. I picked ones with little or no sd support from good devs.
    My theme, clock and widgets are now all loaded up on boot.

You have to be rooted.
    You have to have free space in your rom.
    I think Phoenix has 17 mb of free rom space to start.
    I don't recall what stock had when I started messing with it.
    Both stock and Phoenix have system apps that you do not need.
    There is a list in one of these forums with apps that can be safely deleted...
    You can uninstall them with titanium backup or whatever and then free up space for the apps you want. You can't always restore system apps with titanium so be careful.
    YOU WILL PROBABLY MESS UP YOUR PHONE AND DELETE THINGS YOU SHOULDN'T SO MAKE A WORKING BACKUP WITH ODIN/CWM!!!
    I would make a few of these as you experiment with deleting different apps. If you don't know how to do this look around in the forums.
    Still can't figure it out ask and we will tell you...
    REMEMBER....
    You break it you buy it, not me!
    Titanium Backup already does this and is a must have for Rooted User's (just sayin)

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    10% PostConsumer/dmrlook

Quote Originally Posted by joshua.worth View Post
    Titanium Backup already does this and is a must have for Rooted User's (just sayin)

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4
    There are many apps that do this.
    This one is free.
    And its UI is designed to show duplicates.

How do you download this if your phone says you have low storage i've deleted like all but 2 apps and it still says low storage.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    10% PostConsumer/dmrlook

Go to Settings - Applications - Manage Applications, and look at the bottom of the screen, how much free space do u have?

147mb used, 15mb free.

Not very useful for all of us if you have to be rooted.

Are there any that actually work AND you don't have to have admin power?
    Solar powered Samsung Replenish with Freedom Pro bluetooth keyboard and Plantronics Marque M155 bluetooth headset.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    10% PostConsumer/dmrlook

This requires you to delete not needed system apps and replace them with apps you use, and to move files to/from a system folder you need access to it, which requires root.

So am I going to have to root the device. I really didn't want to make another hobby out of a dang cell phone. I know the memory is limited but what is there disappears for no reason. i deleted my antivirus and some other stuff and got it back to over 20m free but after a couple updates it warns low memory again and I can't free any more. Doesn't it delete old versions? And I'm not talking system apps, I lose memory when I update ANY app. Why would they put such little memory in there. 1gig is SO cheap. pennies at the manufacturing level. I don't want another phone, I like the hard keyboard on this.