Tethering a Boost Mobile Replenish w/o Root

cymerax

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,
Well I'm a complete newb and have been reading posts for the past couple of days and am seriously confused, lol. So I'm hoping I can get a definitive answer as to how I can tether my PC to my Boost Mobile Replenish without rooting it (or just point me to a thread with the answer ;?).
I've read lots of threads pertaining to phones on the Sprint network, but I'm assuming this info is not useful for Boost Mobile phones:confused:.
However if this isn't possible, then I guess I'd need the best solution for rooting and then maybe setting up a hotspot. If this has been posted already, I'd sure appreciate a friendly shove in the right direction:D Thanks in advance for any help ;?D

man or astroman

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Think this should help you out!

http://code.google.com/p/azilink/

Or you might be able just to use adb to edit build.prop and change the line that says ro.tether.denied=true
Into
ro.tether.denied=false

Last edited:

cymerax

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Man, but being a complete Newb, I'm afraid I don't know how to use the debug bridge to edit build.prop (or where to find it even, lol). If I had a lot of time I'm sure I could learn how, but I'm kinda squeezed for time cuz I need to get this done and get the phone in the mail to my daughter within a few days, preferably by this weekend if possible.:-[

So if you could fill in a few more details I'd sure appreciate the help Man:) BTW, do I need to activate the phone first before start changing/editing anything?

Also, just wondering what you think of Easy Tether and will it work on a Boost Mobile Replenish?

Last edited:

man or astroman

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Activate your phone. If you do have to start messing around with stuff, it would be good to have all of the latest updates.
I would check out Easy Tether lite and if it works go for the paid version, if that doesn't work try the adb stuff.
Before making any changes using adb make a backup using odin and cwm5.

cymerax

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Man I activated it, in fact it's going through an update (says FBO3 update) right now. So before making changes I need to use the debug bridge and make a backup... okay I'll see if I can do that :-\

man or astroman

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
do a backup if you are going to change things using adb, or if you are going to root your device.
To clarify, I was saying use Odin and cwm5 to do the back up before using adb.
If you get Easy Tether or a similar app to work don't bother doing a backup, you may very likely do more harm than good.
Good luck!

cymerax

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Ahso, that's great news cuz I've been trying for a while now to make a backup before I tried to use Easy Tether :D So I'll give that a try and see what happens.

cymerax

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Well can't get Easy Tether to work - had a problem following the directions when it came to loading the drivers on my puter (cheapo Compaq with Win7). When I get to the part where Windows is supposed to let me browse for my driver on the puter, it doesn't allow me to. It only gives me a choice of brands and when I pick Samsung I get a long list of e that doesn't have my phone on it :( and no way to enter your own choice). SO after several tries I just let it find the driver from Samsungs site and of course it doesn't work, although it's quite possible that I'm not doing it right cuz most instructions aren't written for TOTAL newbs/unexperienced peeps like me, lol.
I've had peeps recommend PDANet, and now I see FoxFi as well. Any advantages of one over the other, and what I really need is SIMPLE cuz all I want, for now anywho, is to just tether my puter to my phone and access the internets ;)

cymerax

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
What the heck... after I post I get a msg that my post won't be visible until a moderator has approved it??? When did this start???
Huh, seems the only difference is the length (last post was a couple of paragraphs mas o menos. :(
EDIT: Can't seem to delete this post, but, as you can see, the above post is up and only took maybe 5-10 minutes. Maybe just a bot needing to check for spam/blasphemy/or some other evil, lol.

Last edited: