Is my mom's Replenish Bricked?

josh4trunks

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I am flashing SPHM580_ED23_PDA.tar from Odin and the Phone still seems to boot loop at the Samsung Logo. I am not sure what to do from here. I think FireHak's links might help me recover this phone but if stock ED23 can't boot I don't know how the other system images would be any different. I can successfully load CWM from Odin, boot into it. flash kernels, or Pheonix0.2 but nothing ever boots.

I am really surprised ED23 wont boot, so I have a feeling I somehow messed up the system parition in such a way that system.rfs wont write to it. I am assuming I don't need to reformat this from ext4 o rfs again, right?

I am willing to flash CWM and go to adb to flash stuff / debug but I really don't know where to go to from here. Please help if you can as I really don't want my mom to be pissed at me for bricking her phone. Thanks!

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Its not bricked, but not knowing exactly what you did makes things hard. going from ED23 to phoenix changes formats. That is most likely your problem. Without have he phone, it it dificlt to say how to fix it.

josh4trunks

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I went back to ED23 and in recovery noticed
'E:Can't mount /dev/stl14'
I think this is related to the standard recovery not being able to mount the now ext4 partition.

Idealy I would get phoenix rom on this but it doesn't seem to boot for me. I've followed Firehak's instruction about 10 times over the last few hours.

If I can't quickly get to phoenix I'll go stock.
I might just flash CWM, and use adb + dd to flash the system.rfs file directly. Not sure if this actually formats the partition though.

___
Anyway to format back to rfs? Any reason my Phoenix wont boot? (I've tried flashing your kernel as well and go some adb logcats but nothing helpful)
I belive I have a similar issue to mercuros2 where I can't get Phoenix to work because I never went to the EK18 odin image. (I came strait from leaf v0.2).
But he flashed to EK18 (I really need that Odin image) while I don't have access to any of those files.

Thanks
I can give you access to my webserver if you dont mind uploading the Odin image?

josh4trunks

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
just wondering is the 'big partition size!!' error bad in Odin or is that expected, Thanks again

UPDATE
I think I atleast figured out why the stock rom wont boot. my /data is still ext4, not sure how to change this back. I found this out my mounting it in adb, adb shell, and running the command 'mount' to see what all the partitions were mounted as.

Last edited:

josh4trunks

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah so basically I've figured it out. Firehak stated people needed to have used Odin in the past to flash a Gingerbread rom at some point. I believe this would have included an image to update either the qcsbl, oemsbl, amss, or arm11boot. Because I came strait from leaf rom to Phoenix v0.2, I never flashed this image file. This means I can't run Gingerbread roms by just flashing zips.

While flashing the Pheonix v0.2 zip my /data, /cache, and /system were formatted to ext4. In order to revert to ED23 I'd need to change these back to rfs, once again by flashing an image in Odin.

I lack the images to go forward to Gingerbread, or go back to Froyo. My mom will not have a useable phone till I can get a hold of an Odin tar that includes the needed images to go forward, or backward.

Firehak (or anyone else who has a full Odin release), please can you upload them for me somewhere. If you don't have anywhere to upload them, PM me and I'll give you access to my webserver to upload them. Thank you

pdx1911

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I can also Mirror any Full Odin images on my server, as I'm currently in need of a boost mobile gingerbread image for my Replenish.

josh4trunks

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I would love if someone how had "SPHM580 EK18.zip" or "SPHM580 EK18_Rooted.zip" could post here or PM me so that I could unbrick my mom's phone (and post the file for all the others who seem to need it)

But if you don't have it, and are currently on a Gingerbread ROM, with CWM then you could still help. It would take you about 30 minutes (less if you know what you're doing). Basically we could recreate this file. You could follow the steps I outline, or PM me and I'll walk you through it.

STEPS
1) Boot into CWM (shutdown, poweron while pressing 'u')
2) 'mounts and storage' > 'mount /sdcard'
3) (on your computer run) 'adb shell'
4) Now create images of your phone with these commands (these are the parts I need to complete my Odin tar)
dd if=/dev/block/bml2 of=/sdcard/qcsbl
dd if=/dev/block/bml3 of=/sdcard/oemsbl
dd if=/dev/block/bml4 of=/sdcard/amss
dd if=/dev/block/bml8 of=/sdcard/arm11boot
5) now exit the shell with the command 'exit'
6) (on your phone) 'unmount /sdcard' > 'mount USB storage'
7) (on your computer) copy the files (qcsbl, oemsbl, amss, arm11boot) off of your sdcard
8) these files should be pretty small so you could just email them to me (joshruehlig@gmail.com), or post them and link them for everyone

If anyone is willing to take them time this would save my butt and really help out the community. Thanks!
EDIT - Just tested it, should take only 10 minutes total if you have adb already setup.

Last edited:

josh4trunks

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
If you want to help and don't even want to reboot you can also help, as long as you..
-are rooted
-have and sdcard ion your phone
-have adb setup
Should take 5 minutes

1) plug in your phone
2) on your computer run 'adb shell'
3) now run..
dd if=/dev/bml2 of=/sdcard/qcsbl
dd if=/dev/bml3 of=/sdcard/oemsbl
dd if=/dev/bml4 of=/sdcard/amss
dd if=/dev/bml8 of=/sdcard/arm11boot
4) email me the files (joshruehlig@gmail.com), or upload them somewhere and link them. Thank you!

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Is this for boost, or sprint? Also, what about the system, cache, and data partitions? Of course if you did ask for the data and cache, it would be wise for someone to do a factory reset before dumping those as they would otherwise be giving out all their personal data!

josh4trunks

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Is this for boost, or sprint? Also, what about the system, cache, and data partitions? Of course if you did ask for the data and cache, it would be wise for someone to do a factory reset before dumping those as they would otherwise be giving out all their personal data!

Those aren't needed, I'll use Pheonix Sysem, cache and data are already formated (these can be empty, just need to be the right filesystem)
I need it for Sprint, but I'll host the Boost ones if needed.

Good thing is, all the parts I need are very small so the dding takes 1 minute total, and they can be emailed around.

By the way if someone (who's rooted on Phoenix) wants to do this without rebooting here's instructions
1) plug replenish into your computer with usb cable
2) 'adb shell'
3) 'su'
4)
dd if=/dev/bml2 of=/sdcard/qcsbl
dd if=/dev/bml3 of=/sdcard/oemsbl
dd if=/dev/bml4 of=/sdcard/amss
dd if=/dev/bml8 of=/sdcard/arm11boot
5) now just send me the 4 files (qcsbl, oemsbl, amss, arm11boot) on the root of your sdcard

Thanks!

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Doing it now - for a sprint phone - I have them, but where should I send them. I don't want to e-mail them (I make it a policy to try and not use personal e-mail here). You have a server I can upload them to?

josh4trunks

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Doing it now - for a sprint phone - I have them, but where should I send them. I don't want to e-mail them (I make it a policy to try and not use personal e-mail here). You have a server I can upload them to?

check your PM, I sent you info on a site you can upload them to

josh4trunks

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
AWESOME it worked!

I first dded my qcsbl, oemsbl, amss, and arm11boot. then md5sum checked them versus the ones you gave me. Only one that matched was qcsbl. So this hasn't changed. I then tried dd in the images over my paritions, wouldn't boot. I then dding the paritions back to images to check the md5sums, they didn't match yours. I decided I'd try flashing through Odin. I created a tar with 7zip, it would hang in Odin. I then read on google to create the tar in linux, I created it on my ubuntu desktop with 'tar -H ustar -c oemsbl arm11boot amss > file.tar', flashed perfectly. Booted great with Phoenix, and your kernel.

I'll put all the partitions (qcsbl, oemsbl, amss, arm11boot, mibib, boot, and CWM recovery) into a tar file for others to download. Then you can flash Phoenix 0.2 (which will format your cache+data to ext4), and your kernel if they choose. I'll post a link in all the threads I spammed and hopefully people will find use for it. Thanks again for the help!

josh4trunks

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
One Package to update to Phoenix Rom

Here is a Package file to flash in Odin that will update your qcsbl, oemsbl, amss, arm11boot, and mibib for the Sprint Replenish. It also gives you a kernel for Pheonix v0.2, and give you ClockworkMod.

After you flash this I believe you must flash Phoenix v0.2 in CWM to have a working phone. You may also flash dmrlook's kernel at that point. Make sure to wipe data+cache+dalvikcache.

WARNING - I have not tested this as a complete package!
http://admin.joshuaruehlig.com//data/public/874835de24f53ebe5cc58fb8f999a09c.php?lang=en
md5sum = 52e949017e9eac9dd8b168884db76cb8
password = replenish

Last edited:

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
this should be sticked for real.

the lack of development for this phone and the lack of instructions really ruined the whole experience.

im not new to android phones at all.

but i found this phone, esn is clean but i cant bare to be on froyo.

i downloaded phoenix and got cwm on it, and installed.
nothing but bootloops, obviously because of the whole file change.

well if it wasnt for this id be stuck.

i wish the instructions for phoenix was more complete and informative.

anyways thanks again i flashed this in odin, then flashed phoenix and the drm kernel, now im up and running after 2 days of grid lock and confusion.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non