Sprint/Boost two-click root with custom kernel

TattooPaul

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
That was it. FA19 is Officially easy to root now. You're the man DMRlook. Thank you for your fine work.

Saw you were adding some more features to the Kernel to crush that fake BadDroidBoy kernel. My wife along with Many others will love you for fixing this phones low space problems (she can't make peace with fewer apps after having her Optimus S).

Any chance you can write a flashable deodex script? Or a Bloat removal script? I spent a week removing things rebooting and testing the phones functions, so I have a list of the bare minimum apps that the phone must have to work correctly.

Also I am a Tattoo Artist & painter (and I doo some pretty good CG stills) so if you want to add any art to your kernels boot logo or what not, I'd be honored. Don't have much to do since I broke my back so I'm always looking for a project I can do from a reclined position.

One last thing for anyone interested: I found a really cool Launcher on the market called "Holo Launcher". It is about as small as the stock Launcher, has a lot of customization options, and Dev says it's built off of Google's stock ICS launcher, so it looks great.

I'll be around Daily. At least until I get my hands on a refurbed Htc Evo or Galaxy S3.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey TatooPaul - I'd love to have a nice graphic for my kernel if you are willing to create one. I don't have an artistic bone in my body, hence the boring graphic you see. All I'd want to make sure is the graphic makes it clear what version of the kernel it is. I could put the text on the image and run it by you before I release a kernel with it. Your call. Also - I've removed the sprint bloat on my wife and my phone, and I move a lot of apps to the system partition, so I have many more apps than most, but still not as many as having my sd card available. I'll work on that next.

TattooPaul

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm so in on the art. Just have it say what the current one says but in a more artistic way? I think we could leave off the Phone model since it shows just before that in the boot sequence. Also something wild and crazy or something classy? Anyway let me know exactly what you want on it, and I'll create a few ideas.

I stripped off so many apps at first that the phone wouldn't connect to Sprint or recieve calls or texts, so I put things back on one at a time and testing phone until I got the bare minimum of stock apps without deminished function. Have to remove stock Mms.apk and replace it with GoSMS to send pics and music (would prefer Hancscent but it has to stay in the phones RAM). Did it on this phone (same apps & their odexes) and so far so good. Can provide a least of what to keep for anyone interested.

I have also played with the Build.prop on this by adding the "Shabby's Goodness" stuff off of the Build prop from Phoenix 2.0. Will keep everyone posted on how it behaves, and if it helps anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: ciscogee

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree - keep what it says but kill the phone model stuff. As far as crazy or classy, I'd probably go a bit crazy so it pops - Catch someones eyes so they ask "Hey - what the hell are you running on your phone - looks cool!" But that's just my thought. I could go either way. Anything would be an improvement over what I did :)

ciscogee

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm so in on the art. Just have it say what the current one says but in a more artistic way? I think we could leave off the Phone model since it shows just before that in the boot sequence. Also something wild and crazy or something classy? Anyway let me know exactly what you want on it, and I'll create a few ideas.

I stripped off so many apps at first that the phone wouldn't connect to Sprint or recieve calls or texts, so I put things back on one at a time and testing phone until I got the bare minimum of stock apps without deminished function. Have to remove stock Mms.apk and replace it with GoSMS to send pics and music (would prefer Hancscent but it has to stay in the phones RAM). Did it on this phone (same apps & their odexes) and so far so good. Can provide a least of what to keep for anyone interested.

I have also played with the Build.prop on this by adding the "Shabby's Goodness" stuff off of the Build prop from Phoenix 2.0. Will keep everyone posted on how it behaves, and if it helps anything.

Could you pm me the bare bones apk list? Thiss weekend I think we can get something released...:)

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2

TattooPaul

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I get crashes with "Shabby's Goodness" in the Build.Prop. DON'T GO THERE unless ShabbyPenguin wants to join in on the fun.

Here is a list of "Bare Bones" apps:

AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
ApplicationsProvider.apk
Calculator.apk
Calendar.apk
CalendarProvider.apk
Camera.apk
CertInstaller.apk
Contacts.apk
ContactsProvider.apk
DataCreate.apk
DefaultContainerService.apk
DeskClock.apk
DownloadProvider.apk
DownloadProviderUi.apk
DrmUA.apk
Email.apk
Gallery3D.apk
Gmail.apk
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleFeedback.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
HiddenMenu.apk
HTMLViewer.apk
InputEventApp.apk
KeyBoardSlideUpCounter.apk
Launcher2.apk (or Any other Launcher – I use “Holo Launcher”)
LogsProvider.apk
MarketUpdater.apk
MediaProvider.apk
MediaUploader.apk
Mms.apk (this needs to be replaced with GoSMS in order to text Photos or Music)
NetworkLocation.apk
PackageInstaller.apk
Phone.apk
PhoneErrService.apk
PhoneInfo.apk
Phonesky.apk
PicoTTS.apk (Only needs to be on phone if you want Apps to talk to you)
PrefAct.apk
SecDownloadProvider.apk
SecurityProvider.apk
SelfDiagnosisTest.apk
ServiceModeApp.apk
Settings.apk
SettingsProvider.apk
SetupWizard.apk
SisoDrmProvider.apk
Superuser.apk
SystemInfo.apk
SystemUI.apk
talkback_2.6.0.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk
TtsService.apk
UserDictionaryProvider.apk
VoiceDialer.apk
VoiceSearch.apk
VpnServices.apk

You will need these for Bluetooth functions (I don’t use Bluetooth):
BluetoothOpp.apk
BluetoothPbap.apk
BluetoothTestMode.apk
BrcmBluetoothServices.apk

And you will need a web browser. “Dolphin Mini” works when pushed to the ROM and it is infinitely better than the stock browser.

Sorry all my posts are so ridigulously long. I believe you can never have to much information.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow! Those are amazing. I had no idea I would be getting so many choices all of great quality. I should have you do artwork for my apps on the android play market! All my graphics are just using clip art and a graphical editor to combine multiple images into one - quite lame, but all I am capable of. At any rate, I hope you did not spend a lot of time on these, or if you did, I hope you enjoyed it! I like the 4th one the best. What I need to do is covert it to the proper format for inclusion into the kernel and make sure it still looks good. It is a strange format the kernel needs (I can't use a JPEG or gif - it has to be an "RLE" file). I'll do that sometime this weekend when I get some time and let you know the results. I could also send you a modified kernel so you can see the results yourself, as I don't think there is any other way to view an RLE file without loading it into the kernel.

Thanks - these are amazing!

TattooPaul

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
For anyone who hates the stock colors as much as I do:

ReplenishICS for SAMSUNG REPLENISH running STOCK - ROOTED FA-19 only!!!

If you're not on FA-19 (and a Samsung Replenish) DO NOT FLASH THIS!!! You will brick your phone!!!

As I'm sure you've already guessed by the name this brings the color scheme oh ICS to our little GB phone.

If you want to go a step further and get a full ICS-like experience install "Holo Launcher", "Holo Locker", and "Holo Notifications". I've been using them for a week, and they have been stable, quick, and look identical to my Tablet which runs real ICS.

Enjoy.

ciscogee

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
For anyone who hates the stock colors as much as I do:

ReplenishICS for SAMSUNG REPLENISH running STOCK - ROOTED FA-19 only!!!

If you're not on FA-19 (and a Samsung Replenish) DO NOT FLASH THIS!!! You will brick your phone!!!

As I'm sure you've already guessed by the name this brings the color scheme oh ICS to our little GB phone.

If you want to go a step further and get a full ICS-like experience install "Holo Launcher", "Holo Locker", and "Holo Notifications". I've been using them for a week, and they have been stable, quick, and look identical to my Tablet which runs real ICS.

Enjoy.

Hmm so this flashes over stock odex fa19? Dmrlooks custom kernel?

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey All - just a quick update to my update.zip file to include TattooPaul's kick-ass graphics. The colors did not come out as TattooPaul drew them (thanks to the poor resolution of the file format samsung uses for kernel level graphics) but it still looks really cool.

Thank you TattooPaul for the great graphic!

Note no other change has been made. I have been talking with firehak about getting data on the SD card configured in my kernel. As soon as he provides me with the remainder of the info I need, I'll release a new update,zip file with that supported. Note that there will still be some manual steps that you will all need to take to get data on the SD card. Firehak has written a great step-by-step manual for what to do, and I'll provide that too (with his permission).

restjack

May 26, 2011
Visit site
hello i need help i did your first part with the kernal but when i launch your batch windows.bat
the prompt says something like
operable program or batch file 'adb.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
i says i should have root but i do not

bickelk09

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I am in need of a EK18 to FA19 update file for the Sprint Replenish. For some reason when I restored stock EK18 my 3G data and WIFI quit working so I cannot update now. If someone has this file please post it. Thanks

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
If you mean one that works with phoenix, that is on another thread. However once I get all the details I need from firehak on data on SDcard, I'll be updating both.

doowkram

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so I've had my Replenish for about 6 months now, and have not rooted it, heeding the warning from Boost that they can at their discretion end service if a phone is rooted. Have you heard of anyone having this happen? (I probably shouldn't mention it here, but I want to make sure before I do anything drastic)

Also, do I need to backup anything; Contacts, etc. before taking the plunge with your zips?

I actually really like the Replenish, love having the physical keyboard but it would be nice to use more of the memory that I know is there.

Thanks for your help :)

Oh, and I see in Item 4 that I need a clock-work-mod recovery image (which may answer my question above). I see a Clockwork mod ROM Manager, Tether app, and a Clockwork Mod Launcher. I'm assuming it's not the Tether app. Having trouble finding Clock-work-mod in the forums. I'll keep looking tho. Thanks again

Last edited: