Phoenix 0.2 based Replenish won't start. Gray screen. Help!?!

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
5 months ago I bought a brand new Samsung Replenish, installed Phoenix 0.2, and gave it to my mom, who lives in another state. She told me that it won't start. If she pushes the power button, the Samsung screen appears but then turns to a light gray screen, and it won't boot up. The only way to turn it off is to pull the battery. When she charges it, it shows the charging battery on-screen, and the red LED charging indicator light comes on.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what she can do to get it to start up?

I think Phoenix comes with CWM5, right?

If so, I'm thinking that she might be able to launch into recovery mode and maybe do a cache wipe or a factory reset or something? Is that a good idea?

I can't remember how to launch it into recovery mode. Is it power button + "U"?

I'm thinking that if she mailed it to me, maybe I could also try to run Odin and reinstall the image or something?

Any help would be much apprecieated.

ciscogee

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Never had a gray screen but these devices aren't made to last long at all, it could be hardware issue

Sent from my SPH-M580BST using Tapatalk 2

Jim-F

May 28, 2012
Visit site
The problem can easily be one of two things. My daughter killed her phone by running out of memory and the phone had to be flashed again. (This was without Phoenix Rom) My wife also encounter her phone being bricked by an SD card going bad. Her phone eats one about every 4 months. My suggestion would be to plug it in and back up what you can. Check the SD Card and reload Phoenix Rom.

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I had my mom mail me the phone. It was booting into the Samsung splash screen, then into the PhoeniX boot screen, then it would go dark gray forever with a battery-pull required to restart it. I was able to boot into recovery by holding down "u" and then pushing the power button firmly, and continuing to hold the "u" key until "Android" appears onscreen (which is then shortly followed by CWM5 recovery screen). From recovery mode I did a Nandroid restore. (Fortunately had a Nandroid backup from before I sent her the phone.) I could have also recovered by doing a factory reset but then I would have lost all apps, data, & settings. It works fine now.

But I wish I knew why it failed. It doesn't seem to be an SD card problem. It seems like the boot code or cache got messed up.

Matt_Zenick

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I had my mom mail me the phone. It was booting into the Samsung splash screen, then into the PhoeniX boot screen, then it would go dark gray forever with a battery-pull required to restart it. I was able to boot into recovery by holding down "u" and then pushing the power button firmly, and continuing to hold the "u" key until "Android" appears onscreen (which is then shortly followed by CWM5 recovery screen). From recovery mode I did a Nandroid restore. (Fortunately had a Nandroid backup from before I sent her the phone.) I could have also recovered by doing a factory reset but then I would have lost all apps, data, & settings. It works fine now.

But I wish I knew why it failed. It doesn't seem to be an SD card problem. It seems like the boot code or cache got messed up.

You can re-flash pheonix but after you should boot into recovery and hit advanced restore and only restore the boot image

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2