Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: How to increase performance & memory of your Replenish and make it a nice phone.

Bluetooth works fine on Phoenix 0.2.

Default Re: How to increase performance & memory of your Replenish and make it a nice phone.

@RazzMaTazz I'm on Link2Sd and I have like 40ish dowloaded apps and addons. But now I'm running out of space and I get the dreaded low memory warning. What can I do??
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

SimonBerk
    1) Have you really opened up Link2SD and actually "linked" all possible apps (not just "Moved to SD card"? In addition to the 30 built-in-ish system apps on my phone, I've got 40 "linked" downloaded apps and it still has extra space. But different apps store different amounts of stuff on your phone (even if they've been "linked") so it's hard to compare.
    2) If you're using POP-based email, it may be filling up your memory-- especially the "Sent" mail folder. (IMAP-based mail-- or at least Gmail anyway-- has a method of caching a limited amount of recent mail on and off your phone.) If you're using POP-based mail, clean out all of the mail folders on your phone (including the "Sent" mail folder) and consider moving an IMAP-based email system.
    3) Some apps, especially the web browser and Google Maps may cache a lot of data (e.g. temporary Internet files or maps) on your phone. Consider clearing out the caches of such apps.
    4) Utlimately there is an internal cache limitation that you'll bump up against. It's the "caveat" in my original post. Though at 40 apps, I'd be a bit surprised if you've hit that limitation.

Quote Originally Posted by RazzMaTazz View Post
    SimonBerk
    1) Have you really opened up Link2SD and actually "linked" all possible apps (not just "Moved to SD card"? In addition to the 30 built-in-ish system apps on my phone, I've got 40 "linked" downloaded apps and it still has extra space. But different apps store different amounts of stuff on your phone (even if they've been "linked") so it's hard to compare.
    2) If you're using POP-based email, it may be filling up your memory-- especially the "Sent" mail folder. (IMAP-based mail-- or at least Gmail anyway-- has a method of caching a limited amount of recent mail on and off your phone.) If you're using POP-based mail, clean out all of the mail folders on your phone (including the "Sent" mail folder) and consider moving an IMAP-based email system.
    3) Some apps, especially the web browser and Google Maps may cache a lot of data (e.g. temporary Internet files or maps) on your phone. Consider clearing out the caches of such apps.
    4) Utlimately there is an internal cache limitation that you'll bump up against. It's the "caveat" in my original post. Though at 40 apps, I'd be a bit surprised if you've hit that limitation.
    1) yes I'm sure, almost all 52 "user apps" are linked
    2) I'm using the gmail app
    3)I keep cleaning the cache and it gets me maybe 1 or 2 meg

So what do you suggest? Would it help if I move to system app play store youtube etc ?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

It looks like you've almost tripled your data space (250MB on the SD card alone) thanks to Link2SD. I guess you may just have just hit the limit of the phone's internal memory limitation. What does it look like if you go into Link2SD and sort by the apps by data size? At least that way you could see the big memory-hogging apps.

ROM
    Rasbeanjelly/Trinity

Just follow the instructions to install firehak's data2ext and be done with it. Unless you're running DMRlook's overclocking kernel and really want to keep your overclock, I find that data2ext is a vastly better solution than Link2SD.

ROM
    Gingerbread 2.3.6

Does anybody else keep getting a force close from google play services?
    Before you know it, all these little dainty electronomical devices shall fuse together to become the world's greatest robot...the perfect man

Quote Originally Posted by rodya234 View Post
    Just follow the instructions to install firehak's data2ext and be done with it. Unless you're running DMRlook's overclocking kernel and really want to keep your overclock, I find that data2ext is a vastly better solution than Link2SD.
    I am running DMRlook's kernel. So if I install data2ext I will lose the custom kernel? And u won't be able to overclock even if I have an app like no frills?

ROM
    Rasbeanjelly/Trinity

^ yes. data2ext installs another kernel which does not have overclocking functions.

Thanks! Any other pointer I should know about before changing over?

ROM
    Rasbeanjelly/Trinity

^ None that I can remember, it's been quite some time since I last used a Replenish.

ROM
    Rasbeanjelly/Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by foxyposhy View Post
    Does anybody else keep getting a force close from google play services?
    Try this:
    Go to Settings - Apps- All
    Clear Data for Google Play Services as well as Google Play Store
    Reboot

May or may not work for you.

is there any way to reject users of my hotspot via foxfi? i wanna disconnect people that know my password. cause any more than 2 connections overheats my battery, especially while charging...

HELP! The Power and Volume buttons stopped working. I can turn the screen on by holding down both volume buttons which also brings up the power menu that you usually get when holding down the power button. I can turn the phone on if its off by reinserting the battery.
    What's going on? Can anyone help?
    Samsung Replenish
    Pheonix rom
    Stock kernal
    Link2sd enabled

ROM
    Rasbeanjelly/Trinity

^ probably a hardware issue. Failed switches seem to be a common problem with (older) Samsung devices,

Quote Originally Posted by itoikenza View Post
    is there any way to reject users of my hotspot via foxfi? i wanna disconnect people that know my password. cause any more than 2 connections overheats my battery, especially while charging...
    yes i have an app for that...it works well on all phones ive used it on so should with this one as well...heres a link

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by RazzMaTazz View Post
    On your fast SD card, create two partions; an EXT4 file-system partition for your apps & app-data, and a FAT32 file-system partition for your photos, music, etc. (Your FAT32 partion will be accessible from your PC. Your EXT4 partition will only be accessible to your phone's operating system.) You can use a free PC tool like to partition and format your SD card. Per the cache-limitation caveat mentioned in the previous paragraph, a 512MB EXT4 partition should be more than big enough (especially for the Link2SD method because you'll also still have access to your phone's 160MB of internal memory for a total of 672MB). Anything more than 512MB would likely be unusable as a practical matter, but you could create a larger EXT4 partition (say 1GB) if you like
    First off, thanks for the great guide. I am now rooted and running PhoeniX 0.2 and have es File Explorer set up as root. I have also loaded the custom kernel, but have not overclocked yet.

My main issue that led to starting this process was the ability to load more apps, and that is where I hit a problem. I bought a 32GB class 10 microsdhc card, and I am using the Mini-Tool partition wizard, but I have so far been unable to create 2 partitions in a way that works with my phone. What I have tried:

With the microsdhc card in the phone, and mounted to the PC as USB storage... All attempts have been to use everything for FAT32 except for the 1024MB I plan to use for ext4.

1) Shrink the FAT32 partition... Mini-Tool would not let me create a partition in the free space.
    2) Delete the working partition, and create 2 partitions (one FAT32 and one ext4)
    a) Both as primary partitions
    b) Both as logical partitions

I am placing the FAT32 first, as the software tells me that otherwise Windows won't recognize the drive when mounted. Other than the issues mentioned (FAT first and unable to add partition after shrinking), I see no errors or other problems from the PC software.

In all cases, when I dismount from the PC I am told that the storage is bad, and I have to format, at which time it takes up the whole drive with FAT32 and then works fine.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I might be missing for partitioning in a way that works with the phone?

ROM
    Stock

In case anyone else has similar issues, I discovered the following.

I found a site that indicated the proper configuration is Primary FAT32, and logical ext4. After thinking about it, this makes perfect sense, I must have been tired last night.

However, I also found another solution, and since I am not at my computer, I used CWM to create the second partition. (Remember, if you have any data on the existing partition, back it up first).

The extra partition created by CWM is ext3, but that should do just fine. So far, I can confirm that the fat32 is mounted properly, and Link2SD is seeing the ext3 partition. So, it looks like success.

ROM
    Stock

I saw somewhere else that both partitions should be primary (possibly in the link2sd tutorial... so I still don't know what was wrong with my partitioning, but I don't care...

Additional info. Link2SD is indeed working as expected with the ext3 partition. I loaded setcpu from Google Play, a paid program that I already owned from an earlier phone. So now I am overclocked, and also reduce the cpu speed when idle. I have loaded several apps that I like (I could never lad them all together on this phone before) and am on the way to being much more pleased with the phone. It isn't an Optimus G by any means, but it is a reasonable entry level Android phone.

Thanks again for posting great instructions.

ROM
    Stock

Well, after a couple of days, I have mixed feelings.

Positives:

1) I have far more apps than I ever had on my Replenish

2) I still have room for plenty more.

Negatives (minor):

1) Battery life may have diminished. I need to explore...
    a) Possible issues with overclocking/throttling
    b) Maybe some app in the background
    c) Different underclocking methods

2) The phone seems more sluggish to launch apps. This could well be related to having more apps to manage... or something in the background

I don't think I downloaded any apps that should be causing lags, but I will be looking around.

Also, I was only able to overclock to 692 mhz, anything higher crashed during the stress test in SetCPU.

Overall, even if I don't resolve the minor issues, I am happy with the better phone I have now.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

LittleDarwin:

I guess it's too late now, but when using MiniTool Partition Wizard, you should insert the SD card into the PC's card reader (or an external card reader). Both the FAT32 & EXT4 partitions should be "primary". In my original post there is a link to a step-by-step guide for using the MiniTool Partition Wizard.

As you discovered, you can also use CWM to create an EXT3 partition (in phone), but I prefer the MiniTool Partition Wizard method to create a (slightly superior) EXT4 partition. (Then again, all of my PCs have SD card readers.)

Battery life should not be adversely affected by the Phoenix 0.2 or Link2SD. Most likely, your battery life is being affected by your overclocking app's governor and/or other apps. (Or maybe because you're having too much fun using more apps! ) I use NoFrillsCPU for my overclocking app, with the SmartAss v2 governor (@787/245 MHz & "Noop") applied at boot time. It's possible that apps might launch a bit slower with Link2SD on a class 10 microSD card, but I haven't noticed it-- perhaps because of my boosted clock speed. I suspect that something else is going on with your setup and that Phoenix & Link2SD aren't the cause of any problems.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

That was my suspicion. I need to dig in and see what I have loaded that may be hogging resources.

If I ever have to do a reset, I will probably partition with the MiniTool Partition Wizard to get ext4... for now, I am good. I thought that a card mounted via an Android device would be the same as one mounted in a dedicated reader as far as partitioning and formatting, but now I know better.

does this work on a replenish?

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by itoikenza View Post
    does this work on a replenish?
    If your talking about rooting, and the subsequent improvements, then yes. It works for my Samsung Replenish. Mine is on Sprint, I am not sure about other carriers (if they exist).

Question Re: How to increase performance & memory of your Replenish and make it a nice phone.

no, you misunderstood. i meant does the item i showed work when plugged into a replenish. in case you can't see image, it's a micro usb to female usb cable, for usb host functionality, i know a non-rooted replenish doesn't work for this. but i am rooted on phoenix 0.2.
    Last edited by itoikenza; 05-08-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast