Got USB tether to work

itsme2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Note: For Samsung Replenish on Sprint (obviously the only option at the time of this writing) on a Windows XP 32-bit netbook.

I first tried PDANet for Android, but the install refused to complete because the drivers weren't there. So then I found Klink.

I downloaded the "Download (11MB) - Windows Drivers for Samsung Android Phones (includes Galaxy S)" package from Download Drivers

Unzip the package, and the ones you want are under the "16 - Shrewberry" directory. I plugged the phone in, and told windows to use the aforementioned driver directory to install "Samsung Android USB Modem" and "Samsung Android Diag" devices. There was also an "unknown device" which was related to a mass storage driver, and I found that driver also in the package (but possibly in a different directory).

I was able to get the Klink demo to work, but I was unable to buy the full Klink because the Android Market would not give me the option to do so. After this Klink try, I then re-installed PDANet for Android, was delighted to see that the install completed and actually worked.

itsme2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Using PDAnet or Klink should not result in a hot-spot/tethering charge, if you aren't greedy. These apps bypass the usual signal that tells Sprint you are using an additional external device. However, Sprint can still analyze your usage and become suspicious.

tangeranges

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Note: For Samsung Replenish on Sprint (obviously the only option at the time of this writing) on a Windows XP 32-bit netbook.

I first tried PDANet for Android, but the install refused to complete because the drivers weren't there. So then I found Klink.

I downloaded the "Download (11MB) - Windows Drivers for Samsung Android Phones (includes Galaxy S)" package from Download Drivers

Unzip the package, and the ones you want are under the "16 - Shrewberry" directory. I plugged the phone in, and told windows to use the aforementioned driver directory to install "Samsung Android USB Modem" and "Samsung Android Diag" devices. There was also an "unknown device" which was related to a mass storage driver, and I found that driver also in the package (but possibly in a different directory).

I was able to get the Klink demo to work, but I was unable to buy the full Klink because the Android Market would not give me the option to do so. After this Klink try, I then re-installed PDANet for Android, was delighted to see that the install completed and actually worked.
sorry, I'm a little confused, I got up to the part where I unzip the files and go under 16-Shrewberry, but there's nothing to install...would you mind clarifying what exactly I'm supposed to do?

itsme2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
When you plug your phone in via USB, Windows should automatically detect new hardware, and ask you to install drivers for it. (If you don't see this window automatically, you may need to use "Add new hardware" in the control panel.)

The windows screen will ask you to install a driver, giving you the choice to have windows automatically look for a driver, or to tell it where to look. You want to choose the later, directing it to the directory in the unzipped 16-Shredberry folder.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Folks - if you root the phone (see another post on this forum) and then install "Barnacle Wifi Tether" from the market (it's free) you have the ability to wirelessly tether. No drivers to worry about. Works out of the box with a rooted phone.

fencerjared

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The connection speeds aren't going to be any better tethered than they are with the phone; our phone has a rev0 data antenna, meaning that speeds are generally between 400-700kbps down, but theoretically up to 2mbps. Uploads I think are maxed at 200kbps. To test your phone, you can actually run the speedtest.net app on the device itself.

jay504702

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Where can i get Barnacle that will work with my phone?? I went to the market and google play.. both say it isnt compatible and will not let me install.. I thought about getting from 4shared but I would rather know it is reliable from replenish users to install files from there..

I have also tried searching in the forums but there is no specific (where) other than referring to a root thread ((without a name)) and the post was months ago..

jay504702

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
i got it on but i am having some issues.. Not sure if i will have to create these missing files but hopefully you guys can read in the two attachments..