Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Default Re: [ACS][ROM] Leaf Rom - 0.1

found a link to latest driver for samsung phones. [Driver] [28.06.2011] SAMSUNG USB Drivers for Mobile Phones +LATEST UPDATED VERSION+ - xda-developers
    if anyone need it..
    was very easy to flash. thanks for your hard work shabby.

this is my first android phone.. is it normal for android to run some of programs automatically?
    under 'running' tab.. i closed all apps yet they keep coming back.

Yes - that is normal. For example, if you have gross location enabled in the settings->location tab, google maps is always running.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  
    ROM Developer

blah! is androidcentral showing messed up to anyone else? i check this site like 3 times a day and this is the first time its let me know anyone posted in this forum.

anyways guys working on 0.2 which should allow for custom boot animation

Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    It's not that the animation doesn't play or plays at the wrong time. It's just that the stock animation plays instead of the one I picked in UOT. I'm thinking this is because I didn't utilize the folder that came with the UOT zip called data that had the bootanimation.zip file in it.

No big deal. I'm sure at some point there will be a custom recovery that I can use to flash boot animations and stuff.
    No, it really doesn't play. I made a new .bat to quickly push just my custom files from UOT and it doesn't play. I noticed that plenty of icons and themes only partially get applied for some reason. It seems like Froyo is much less supported than Gingerbread. We could probably manually edit the .apk file though.

Great to hear you're working on 0.2 already Shabby, thanks! Anything specific besides boot animations being worked on for the upcoming version?

Thanks Shabby. FYI - you can remove factorytest.apk from the system/app folder if you like - it will free up over 4.6MB and I've done so, and from what I can tell, it has no effect. Will your upcoming change to allow custom boot animation only impact the framework-res.apk package? If so, then I can push just that and not have to reflash and factory wipe everything.

Thanks!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  
    ROM Developer

not real sure about features still trying to iron out shabbymod 0.9 for teh prevail, the good thing about that is anything that i change on their phone effects you guys as well.

ok cool, thanks for letting me know id like to clean out all the bloat if possible, as i dont have the phone i dont want to go removing things like sprint android extension (allows for prl and profile updates) but sometimes things are hidden a bit more. like sprint id's name is w_installer.apk so im relying on you guys for feedback on what to improve. got a few users here, 1 over at the ACS forums.. and even tho i also posted this on the androidforums for teh replenish i havent gotten a single reply or any activty since i said i was making a rom.

Carrier
    Stock

I'm not sure if you've come across this, but I was given this link over at Cyanogenmod on removing Sprint bloatware. Maybe it could help you some? Safe Apps to Remove - SDX-Developers

I'd still suggest people keeping a backup of stock or backing up any apk file before removing. I didn't think to backup my files before pushing LeafRom over, but I don't see any problems with the rom to care at the moment.

That's the link I started from. I've poked around and don't know what else we can remove in addition to what was already removed plus my suggestion above. The list calls out apps like calculator.apk, however I know I use that from time to time, and I imagine others do as well, so I'd hate to see that removed for all.

For folks that want to remove more stuff, all they need to do is remove it from the "Rom/system/app" directory in Shabby's zip before running.

Carrier
    Stock

They'd also need to do an rm /system/apk-name.apk before the factory reset unless the script removes /system/* by default. I can't remember at the moment and don't have access to a computer right now

Default kills the whole app directory - so no need to do that step.

Carrier
    Stock

If Leaf Rom provides all needed files is all I meant. By the way, I've been trying to reply to your pm, but nothing shows up in my sent box? Have you ever resolved your issue? It sounded like a corrupted zip or something went wrong on their side.

Global Posts
    2,868 Global Posts

I will be ready for Leaf Rom 0.2 if it removes the 100 sms/hr limit altogether...

How to Remove the 100 SMS Limit Each Hour | Market 4 Android
    C:\Android\tools> adb shell
    # sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    SQLite version 3.5.9
    Enter “.help” for instructions
    sqlite> INSERT INTO gservices (name, value) VALUES(‘sms_outgoing_check_interval_ms’, 0);
    INSERT INTO gservices (name, value) VALUES(‘sms_outgoing_check_interval_ms’, 0);
    sqlite>
    That would make me so very, very happy... even tho I should be able to do that myself since the Leaf Rom allows root access, but yea...
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  
    ROM Developer

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I will be ready for Leaf Rom 0.2 if it removes the 100 sms/hr limit altogether...

How to Remove the 100 SMS Limit Each Hour | Market 4 Android

That would make me so very, very happy... even tho I should be able to do that myself since the Leaf Rom allows root access, but yea...
    very nice, i never knew how to bypass this

Carrier
    Stock

Wow, I wasn't even aware that we had a limiter on texting. Thanks for the link and commands.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbypenguin View Post
    not at all a problem, install is just the same as root download, extract, run the batch file (windows) or sh file (linux/mac) if you get errors, reboot the phone and run it as the phone boots up
    Gonna be a n00b here and ask a dumb question.

You say it's the "same as root". Does that mean I still need to root first, or does this do the rooting and flashing of the ROM also? This is my very first Android phone, so I'm a little confused/scared of messing something up.

It roots the phone for you as it updates the rom image. No need to root first.

Carrier
    Stock

Out of pure boredom today, I wrote a little GUI to the LeafRom copying process.

To show that it's still working, the buttons are disabled while files are being transferred, and there is a live console output at the bottom.

EDIT: It does do a little error checking to make sure files like the adb server, exploit files, and Rom folder are there, but I don't check anything inside the Rom folder since some users (like me) replaced them to use theme kitchen or delete a little extra bloatware. It does not however check that your phone is connected with debugging enabled. I assume this would make my app hang on "adb.exe wait-for-device" in the beginning of the bat file.

EDIT 2: Between Facebook, Skype and news distractions, I worked all night (but mostly got distracted) to update this simple app and release it. Its been personally tested and my phone has survived, making this safe to use! It seems like it's a little bi-polar on whether to give adb output though. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I'd like to fix that in the future.

Requirements: .NET 2.0, and Shabby's Rom!

Features:
    • Copy the ROM
    • Option to not include the custom ringtone
    • Option to automatically reboot to recovery if you want to do the factory wipe
    • Send a custom theme
    • Reboot automatically to apply the new theme
    • Live command output inside the GUI

My plans:
    • Fix console to always show adb output
    • Add support for custom boot animation in version 0.2 of LeafRom

That's all there is to it, really. It still checks to makes sure the adb and exploit files exist, and that the Rom directory is also in place before attempting to send the files. To send a theme, only the adb.exe and .dll files are needed. When sending a custom theme, don't forget to unlock your phone! I use su -c to remount /system as writable and again as read-only. If your phone is not unlocked, su cannot pop up on your phone asking for permissions. This app will NOT prevent you from closing it during a transfer, so you probably don't wanna click the close button. If your phone is not already connected and in debugging mode but you click continue anyways, it will most likely hang or eventually freeze. It doesn't have super-advanced checking, I'm trusting you here.

To use it, simply extract and drop LeafRom.exe inside the folder where the adb.exe and other files reside. This requires the default directory structure. If you haven't renamed or moved anything after extracting Shabby's zip file, you're good to go.

I claim no responsibility for anything that may happen to your phone. If you choose to use my application, you are responsible for your own actions. That being said, if something should happen, you can still post asking for help. There is a command line at the bottom of the application that you can copy paste so we may see where the process went wrong.

And lastly, I want to thank Shabby for letting me build on his work. I haven't done anything but build a GUI for users who want point and click access by copying his commands into a C# .NET app. If anyone is interested in porting this to Mac or Linux, I included the source so it can be ported to Mono.
    fencerjared likes this.

That was an easy process! Had to restart a couple times (because of my own inexperience), but finally got everything up and running.

Battery life is already drastically improved, and thanks to the removal of all the bloat, I have space on the device itself! Curses on Samsung for giving us so little device storage.

I can't wait to try this out. My replenish comes in the mail tomorrow...I left my evo for the pixi.....and now I'm coming back to android. Has anyone had any success overclocking the replenish and getting it to run flash? I would think this is possible since 800mhz is sufficient for flash.

Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by camillo4u View Post
    I can't wait to try this out. My replenish comes in the mail tomorrow...I left my evo for the pixi.....and now I'm coming back to android. Has anyone had any success overclocking the replenish and getting it to run flash? I would think this is possible since 800mhz is sufficient for flash.
    Overclocking isn't possible without a custom kernel. Shabby mentions in his first post that LeafRom is nothing more than a glorified stock at the moment, but he is already working on our next update. While we don't have the fancy stuff Cyanogenmod has (I'm not even sure what they have myself), the .apk files have been modified and offer a more stable ROM and longer battery life.

Maybe this will eventually pick up some and other developers could help him out. I'd love to learn this stuff, Linux is nothing new to me. Java, on the other hand, is.

EDIT: To avoid a double post, I'll just edit this one. Has the phone apk been modified in this version? I just made a phone call and couldn't hang up. Every time the slider got near the edge my screen would fade and re-appear. It kept up for about 5 tries until the other person hung up. My phone was connected through USB and debugging mode is enabled if that gives any useful info.

Maybe another dumb question, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

Now thay this has rooted my phone, is it possible to install any other ROMs, or is this currently the only ROM out there that will work on this device?

Example, I hear a lot about cyanogen... is it possible to loads that on a Replenish (or would I even want to)?

Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by tentonbricks View Post
    Maybe another dumb question, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

Now thay this has rooted my phone, is it possible to install any other ROMs, or is this currently the only ROM out there that will work on this device?

Example, I hear a lot about cyanogen... is it possible to loads that on a Replenish (or would I even want to)?
    If you installed another ROM and it booted, it'd be a miracle. Each device has it's own differences, so they all need to be made for specific devices. Lucky for us, the Replenish is similar enough to what Shabby has to easily modify ours after ShabbyMod. No questions are dumb. Everyone's new at some point.
    tentonbricks likes this.

That makes sense. That being said, I'm definitely happy with what's been done with Leaf. My batter life is crazy improved, which makes it worth the upgrade, even if it is just a glorified stock.

Carrier
    Stock

Not to mention improved stability. I haven't had a single system app force close again since switching from stock. We may be on v0.1, but ShabbyMod is on 0.9-beta. Ours is early, but backed by another of Shabby's mods for the Prevail. It's awesome that he's able to do this for us without even owning the phone.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #50  
    ROM Developer

uploading v 0.2

i need to know what bloat is still left on the phone after leaf rom
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast