1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Knox and root for the s4

I'm interested to find out what some people know about this silly piece of software Samsung has put into the 4.3 update for both versions of the phone lte and non lte version. Specifically how it will effect rooting the phone. I ask because I've heard this has caused a little bit of trouble with the note 3, I know it has been fixed but still want to know if one should wait till a safe method has been found, or if this doesn't effect the s4 like it did the note 3. What I'm really asking is does anyone know if rooting with 4.3 on the s4 permanently void the warranty like it does on the note 3 like I've read because of knox.

edit:
    ok so found this on the xda forums. . so pretty much exactly what i thought it would be and what i didn't want.
    Last edited by noodles101; 10-18-2013 at 04:27 AM.

Default Re: Knox and root for the s4

He ME7 software for Verizon apparently did not have the eFuse software enabled. MI1, the most recent OTA adds the flag.
    I too the OTA but was already rooted and my knox status is still 0x0.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

how do you check if the flag has been added? From what i've read on xda once you update to 4.3 it kinda screws everything up when you try to keep your root access and sets the flag to 1.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles101 View Post
    how do you check if the flag has been added? From what i've read on xda once you update to 4.3 it kinda screws everything up when you try to keep your root access and sets the flag to 1.
    Reboot into download mode.
    ME7 didn't have the flag.
    MI1 has the flag. If you were rooted before the OTA the KNOX Warranty Void will be 0x0 which means the flag is not set.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok i think im a little confused i have the I9500. And all i see is something like this Knox and root for the s4-galaxy-s4-download-mode-screen.jpg. looked for some other images and found this Knox and root for the s4-attachment.php_-300x224.jpg is this more or less what you see in download mode?

Quote Originally Posted by noodles101 View Post
    Ok i think im a little confused i have the I9500. And all i see is something like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	galaxy-s4-download-mode-screen.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	87936. looked for some other images and found this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment.php_-300x224.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	87937 is this more or less what you see in download mode?
    KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0

If that flag gets set to 0x1; Samsung will deny or ry to deny any warranty coverage.