Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Default Re: Knox

Unfortunately, in my case, that option is not available to me. Cool Dog by the way.

Success.. I was able to successfully root my Virgin Mobile Samsung S3 SPH-L710 using this threads instructions.

Thanks to All.

Default Re: Sprint Galaxy S3 - Knox

May I ask what method you used?

Quote Originally Posted by SebasCvdB View Post
    Lol, I love how paranoid everybody is about that.. I can kind of understand the KNOX but they shouldn't have put it in the bootloader... or given the consumers the option of installing a KNOX loaded version or none KNOX loaded version...
    It's not paranoia. It's been reported that Samsung actually worked with NSA while developing Knox. It would be silly to think access for the NSA isn't built in.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Exclamation Re: Knox

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Yes, but that only works if you're flashing it on a phone that doesn't already have the Knox bootloader installed. Once Samsung starts shipping new phones with 4.3 pre-installed, or if you've applied the OTA, the cnexus ROM won't remove Knox from the bootloader, and you'll be stuck with the stock recovery, and the stock ROM.
    I have a Sprint Galaxy S3, and I updated to Android 4.3
    It placed the stock recover on the cell.

I then went to Download Mode, and installed Clockwork Custom Recovery via Odin, and it works fine.
    I can even install a custom ROM like JellyBomb if I want to, but that would bring me down to Android 4.1.2

So at this point, I don't know what Knox does on this particular cell phone.

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by andyistic View Post

I then went to Download Mode, and installed Clockwork Custom Recovery via Odin, and it works fine.
    I can even install a custom ROM like JellyBomb if I want to, but that would bring me down to Android 4.1.2

I have heard you can do that but you cannot odin back to a pre 4.3 ROM without permanently bricking your phone. However, even though you can root and install a custom recovery, you can never get rid of the knox bootloader, which records that you have flashed something and this voids your warranty on the phone. I read where somebody tried to restore a nandroid to his pre upgrade setup (to get around the odin method), but he found out knox is still there, hidden but still there... and active.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I have a question as well! Does anybody know where to begin to remove Knox from my custom ROM I am building?

-Robin Hood

Quote Originally Posted by rando991 View Post
    I have heard you can do that but you cannot odin back to a pre 4.3 ROM without permanently bricking your phone. However, even though you can root and install a custom recovery, you can never get rid of the knox bootloader, which records that you have flashed something and this voids your warranty on the phone. I read where somebody tried to restore a nandroid to his pre upgrade setup (to get around the odin method), but he found out knox is still there, hidden but still there... and active.

If that's true, then Download Mode would show:
    KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0X0
    KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0X1

... along with the ODIN MODE, PRODUCT NAME, etc.

Mine does not have either of the KNOX lines in it.

Yes, CWM and TWRP have been updated and now work with 4.3. At the time I wrote, what I said was true. And what I said about the bootloader is still true.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Youmans View Post
    I have a question as well! Does anybody know where to begin to remove Knox from my custom ROM I am building?

-Robin Hood
    My advice would be to jump over to xda and get in the dev threads.

sent from a GS3 gone Wicked
    GS3...Wicked Sensations

EVO 4G...Digital Twinturbo-retired
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by seanskiT1 View Post
    My advice would be to jump over to xda and get in the dev threads.

sent from a GS3 gone Wicked
    I was starting to lean that way, but I figured I would ask you awesome people first before going off adventuring onto xda.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

where did you get the rooted stock with no KNOX?

Just a thought, but perhaps we could start an online petition asking Samsung to make KNOX optional, or have an on/off toggle. Get enough people, and maybe Samsung might actually do something for us.

And note that the one absolute No No, don't even think about it, after loading the factory 4.3 image, is never use Odin to try to load a pre 4.3ROM. It WILL brick your phone.
    I was with factory 4.3 image on my Galaxy Note 2 which I got via OTA. Can you explain how was I able to downgrade to stock 4.1.1 using odin then? I used 3.07 version for this.

Quote Originally Posted by rimvydukas View Post
    I was with factory 4.3 image on my Galaxy Note 2 which I got via OTA. Can you explain how was I able to downgrade to stock 4.1.1 using odin then? I used 3.07 version for this.
    That's very interesting. You are the first person I've heard of who didn't brick their device doing this. There are numerous people who have bricked GS3's and GS4's attempting this. I don't know what's different about the Note 2. I'm glad it worked out for you, but given the number of people who have bricked devices, I would still advise people against it..

That's very interesting. You are the first person I've heard of who didn't brick their device doing this. There are numerous people who have bricked GS3's and GS4's attempting this. I don't know what's different about the Note 2. I'm glad it worked out for you, but given the number of people who have bricked devices, I would still advise people against it..
    You scared me to death as I didn't saw no such things about bricking phones using this method I thought that if i have stock 4.3 i have no ability to downgrade only because this downgrade will bring knox warranty void flag set to 0x1. Are you saying that it is not possible to downgrade at all to any prior 4.3 firmware? Can you point me to some threads about this?

My story was very simple. I've upgraded to stock 4.3 version at the end of december didnt like it and tried to downgrade using official 4.1.1 and odin 3.07. All went fine except that I was not able to connect to gsm network. So I flashed modem part which i took from stock 4.1.2 rom and now i am able to connect to gsm network. There are few side effects left - famous knox warranty void flag and my phone state set to custom and download counter is set to 1. I've tried to root 4.1.1 and use triangle away for this. Triange away was able to reset my phone to official state and it was able to reset custom download flag but only till first full phone boot. After that i have the same custom state again. Is it possible to reset this counter at all now? And i was not able to enter stock recovery mode right after i rooted my phone One more side effect - i'm still with the latest bootloader which has knox So end of my story - I unrooted the phone, reflashed it with 4.1.1 using odin again, flashed working modem and think what to do next

Hmm. There are a couple of things here that are confusing me. If you flashed 4.1.1 in Odin, that should have restored you to an unrooted state with the stock recovery. It should also replace the kernel, which includes the Knox bootloader. But if you can flash a modem you clearly have a custom recovery (CWM, TWRP, etc.). And if you can run Triangle Away, you're still rooted, becase it won't run on an unrooted device. As long as you're rooted, the download counter will reset to 1 every time you reboot. If you reset it to 0, and successfully unroot, it should stay at zero.

And since you still have the Knox bootloader, it doesn't seem to me that the Odin ROM load actually worked, or didn't work completely.

Can you please go into settings / About device, take a screen capture, and post it here? Also, when you go into settings, do you have the tabs across the top (Connection, My device, Accounts, More) or is everything on one long scrolling page?

You say you updated to stock 4.3 via OTA. Were you rooted before you applied the OTA? Did it generated any errors?

Hmm. There are a couple of things here that are confusing me. If you flashed 4.1.1 in Odin, that should have restored you to an unrooted state with the stock recovery. It should also replace the kernel, which includes the Knox bootloader. But if you can flash a modem you clearly have a custom recovery (CWM, TWRP, etc.). And if you can run Triangle Away, you're still rooted, becase it won't run on an unrooted device. As long as you're rooted, the download counter will reset to 1 every time you reboot. If you reset it to 0, and successfully unroot, it should stay at zero.

And since you still have the Knox bootloader, it doesn't seem to me that the Odin ROM load actually worked, or didn't work completely.

Can you please go into settings / About device, take a screen capture, and post it here? Also, when you go into settings, do you have the tabs across the top (Connection, My device, Accounts, More) or is everything on one long scrolling page?

You say you updated to stock 4.3 via OTA. Were you rooted before you applied the OTA? Did it generated any errors?
    I'll clarify. I bought my note 2 with 4.1.1, updated it to 4.1.2 via ota and to 4.3 via ota too. My note was completely virgin without any roots and custom recoveries. But as I said I didn't like 4.3. So I took stock 4.1.1 from sammobile, went to download mode and simply flashed my phone to 4.1.1 using odin. I did this in stock recovery's download mode. My phone stuck on samsung flash screen after flash completed and phone restarted. So I entered stock recovery, did factory reset and now my phone was able to boot. I went to download mode again and saw knox warranty void 0x1 and that my phone state is custom and that I have counter set to 1. These all procedures were done without any custom recoveries, rooting and so on and these procedures triggered all counters. My phone was never rooted till I did these things. And as I said that when the phone fully booted I was not able to login to gsm network as my phone had no imei. I've read that the issue here is that 4.3 modifies efs partition and because of that old modem can't read this partition. So I've extracted modem.bin from 4.1.2 rom taken from sammobile and flashed it via odin. Again, no custom recoveries. When I did that I was able to access gsm network and IMEI was back. I've tried to root my phone only after all of these things as my phone was in custom mode and I wanted to reset it. But I'm unaware why I've got phone with custom state because my phone was never rooted, I used stock recovery and I flashed to stock firmware:/ Maybe firmware taken from sammobile is not the stock one:/ I attached the picture. And no I have no tabs because I'm in 4.1.1.

Sprint Galaxy S3 - Knox-screenshot_2014-01-04-23-44-02.png

I'm sorry, but I'm baffled. There must be differences in the Note, as compared to the Galaxy, that I don't understand.

You've posted your question in the Sprint S3 forum. Maybe there's someone in the note forum who can give you more help:

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Quote Originally Posted by rando991 View Post

I was rooted stock 4.1.2 and accidentally (don't ask) ended up installing the 4.3 update. So now I'm stock 4.3 with Knox and as far as I can tell I lost root.

Can I go into download mode and install custom recovery on this phone with Odin like andyistic did, even though I lost root? Or do I need to reroot first? And if so, how?

I don't care all that much about tripping the warranty bit and losing my warranty. As long as I can have root I'm happy. I'm also OK with not being able to install ROMs lower than 4.3. Knox isn't the end of the world for me if those two things are possible.

Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    I was rooted stock 4.1.2 and accidentally (don't ask) ended up installing the 4.3 update. So now I'm stock 4.3 with Knox and as far as I can tell I lost root.

Can I go into download mode and install custom recovery on this phone with Odin like andyistic did, even though I lost root? Or do I need to reroot first? And if so, how?

I don't care all that much about tripping the warranty bit and losing my warranty. As long as I can have root I'm happy. I'm also OK with not being able to install ROMs lower than 4.3. Knox isn't the end of the world for me if those two things are possible.
    I'm not quite sure what happens when you apply the OTA over a rooted phone, so I'm not sure what was lost. But the instructions in this post will get you rooted, with custom recovery, again:

Possible method to root 4.3

Thanked by:

Hello,
    Recently, I purchased the Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 (Boost Mobile) & as all past Android devices, rooting was in order (Phone seemed to do numerous updates out of the box as well as running 4.3 Android). Anyway, after using the CF Auto Root program, I've now got the "super user" icon but when I click on it, immediately I receive the message from Knox that it has been blocked. I've been reading a lot of threads as well as combed numerous sites regarding Knox & looks that there still appears to be no fix to disable or remove it?!

So far I've tried with zero results (blocked by Knox):
    Terminal program way: su pm disable com.sec.knox.seandroid
    Titanium Backup
    Manually shutting down the Knox related files

There is a Knox icon on the desktop but tapping on it has no effect & no other area on the phone for disabling/removing obKNOXious.

I even thought of possibly downloading & reinstalling Knox (but can't find the file for download) to see if it would have any settings or ways to remove it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

Keep a smile on your face and love in your heart!

I think you've posted this in multiple threads. See post #30 in my rooting 4.3 thread. If you follow those steps you should be fine.

Thanked by:

So, does someone with a stock S3 and Knox unchecked have anything to worry about? Ray
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast