Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 62
Like Tree12Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: Knox

    Unfortunately, in my case, that option is not available to me. Cool Dog by the way.
  2. #27  

    Default Re: Knox

    Success.. I was able to successfully root my Virgin Mobile Samsung S3 SPH-L710 using this threads instructions.

    Thanks to All.
  3. #28  

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy S3 - Knox

    May I ask what method you used?
  4. #29  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by SebasCvdB View Post
    Lol, I love how paranoid everybody is about that.. I can kind of understand the KNOX but they shouldn't have put it in the bootloader... or given the consumers the option of installing a KNOX loaded version or none KNOX loaded version...
    It's not paranoia. It's been reported that Samsung actually worked with NSA while developing Knox. It would be silly to think access for the NSA isn't built in.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  5. #30  

    Exclamation Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Yes, but that only works if you're flashing it on a phone that doesn't already have the Knox bootloader installed. Once Samsung starts shipping new phones with 4.3 pre-installed, or if you've applied the OTA, the cnexus ROM won't remove Knox from the bootloader, and you'll be stuck with the stock recovery, and the stock ROM.
    I have a Sprint Galaxy S3, and I updated to Android 4.3
    It placed the stock recover on the cell.

    I then went to Download Mode, and installed Clockwork Custom Recovery via Odin, and it works fine.
    I can even install a custom ROM like JellyBomb if I want to, but that would bring me down to Android 4.1.2

    So at this point, I don't know what Knox does on this particular cell phone.
  6. #31  
    rando991's Avatar

    Posts
    573 Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Rooted

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by andyistic View Post
    I have a Sprint Galaxy S3, and I updated to Android 4.3
    It placed the stock recover on the cell.

    I then went to Download Mode, and installed Clockwork Custom Recovery via Odin, and it works fine.
    I can even install a custom ROM like JellyBomb if I want to, but that would bring me down to Android 4.1.2

    So at this point, I don't know what Knox does on this particular cell phone.
    I have heard you can do that but you cannot odin back to a pre 4.3 ROM without permanently bricking your phone. However, even though you can root and install a custom recovery, you can never get rid of the knox bootloader, which records that you have flashed something and this voids your warranty on the phone. I read where somebody tried to restore a nandroid to his pre upgrade setup (to get around the odin method), but he found out knox is still there, hidden but still there... and active.


    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
  7. #32  

    Default Re: Knox

    I have a question as well! Does anybody know where to begin to remove Knox from my custom ROM I am building?



    -Robin Hood
  8. #33  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by rando991 View Post
    I have heard you can do that but you cannot odin back to a pre 4.3 ROM without permanently bricking your phone. However, even though you can root and install a custom recovery, you can never get rid of the knox bootloader, which records that you have flashed something and this voids your warranty on the phone. I read where somebody tried to restore a nandroid to his pre upgrade setup (to get around the odin method), but he found out knox is still there, hidden but still there... and active.


    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    If that's true, then Download Mode would show:
    KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0X0
    KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0X1

    ... along with the ODIN MODE, PRODUCT NAME, etc.

    Mine does not have either of the KNOX lines in it.
  9. #34  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by andyistic View Post
    I have a Sprint Galaxy S3, and I updated to Android 4.3
    It placed the stock recover on the cell.

    I then went to Download Mode, and installed Clockwork Custom Recovery via Odin, and it works fine.
    I can even install a custom ROM like JellyBomb if I want to, but that would bring me down to Android 4.1.2

    So at this point, I don't know what Knox does on this particular cell phone.
    Yes, CWM and TWRP have been updated and now work with 4.3. At the time I wrote, what I said was true. And what I said about the bootloader is still true.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  10. #35  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Youmans View Post
    I have a question as well! Does anybody know where to begin to remove Knox from my custom ROM I am building?



    -Robin Hood
    My advice would be to jump over to xda and get in the dev threads.

    sent from a GS3 gone Wicked
    GS3...Wicked Sensations

    EVO 4G...Digital Twinturbo-retired
    Thanked by:
  11. #36  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by seanskiT1 View Post
    My advice would be to jump over to xda and get in the dev threads.

    sent from a GS3 gone Wicked
    I was starting to lean that way, but I figured I would ask you awesome people first before going off adventuring onto xda.
  12. #37  
    southsam7's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

    Default Re: Knox

    where did you get the rooted stock with no KNOX?
  13. #38  
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  14. #39  

    Default Re: Knox

    Just a thought, but perhaps we could start an online petition asking Samsung to make KNOX optional, or have an on/off toggle. Get enough people, and maybe Samsung might actually do something for us.
  15. #40  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post

    And note that the one absolute No No, don't even think about it, after loading the factory 4.3 image, is never use Odin to try to load a pre 4.3ROM. It WILL brick your phone.
    I was with factory 4.3 image on my Galaxy Note 2 which I got via OTA. Can you explain how was I able to downgrade to stock 4.1.1 using odin then? I used 3.07 version for this.
  16. #41  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by rimvydukas View Post
    I was with factory 4.3 image on my Galaxy Note 2 which I got via OTA. Can you explain how was I able to downgrade to stock 4.1.1 using odin then? I used 3.07 version for this.
    That's very interesting. You are the first person I've heard of who didn't brick their device doing this. There are numerous people who have bricked GS3's and GS4's attempting this. I don't know what's different about the Note 2. I'm glad it worked out for you, but given the number of people who have bricked devices, I would still advise people against it..
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  17. #42  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    That's very interesting. You are the first person I've heard of who didn't brick their device doing this. There are numerous people who have bricked GS3's and GS4's attempting this. I don't know what's different about the Note 2. I'm glad it worked out for you, but given the number of people who have bricked devices, I would still advise people against it..
    You scared me to death as I didn't saw no such things about bricking phones using this method I thought that if i have stock 4.3 i have no ability to downgrade only because this downgrade will bring knox warranty void flag set to 0x1. Are you saying that it is not possible to downgrade at all to any prior 4.3 firmware? Can you point me to some threads about this?

    My story was very simple. I've upgraded to stock 4.3 version at the end of december didnt like it and tried to downgrade using official 4.1.1 and odin 3.07. All went fine except that I was not able to connect to gsm network. So I flashed modem part which i took from stock 4.1.2 rom and now i am able to connect to gsm network. There are few side effects left - famous knox warranty void flag and my phone state set to custom and download counter is set to 1. I've tried to root 4.1.1 and use triangle away for this. Triange away was able to reset my phone to official state and it was able to reset custom download flag but only till first full phone boot. After that i have the same custom state again. Is it possible to reset this counter at all now? And i was not able to enter stock recovery mode right after i rooted my phone One more side effect - i'm still with the latest bootloader which has knox So end of my story - I unrooted the phone, reflashed it with 4.1.1 using odin again, flashed working modem and think what to do next
  18. #43  

    Default Re: Knox

    Hmm. There are a couple of things here that are confusing me. If you flashed 4.1.1 in Odin, that should have restored you to an unrooted state with the stock recovery. It should also replace the kernel, which includes the Knox bootloader. But if you can flash a modem you clearly have a custom recovery (CWM, TWRP, etc.). And if you can run Triangle Away, you're still rooted, becase it won't run on an unrooted device. As long as you're rooted, the download counter will reset to 1 every time you reboot. If you reset it to 0, and successfully unroot, it should stay at zero.

    And since you still have the Knox bootloader, it doesn't seem to me that the Odin ROM load actually worked, or didn't work completely.

    Can you please go into settings / About device, take a screen capture, and post it here? Also, when you go into settings, do you have the tabs across the top (Connection, My device, Accounts, More) or is everything on one long scrolling page?

    You say you updated to stock 4.3 via OTA. Were you rooted before you applied the OTA? Did it generated any errors?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  19. #44  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Hmm. There are a couple of things here that are confusing me. If you flashed 4.1.1 in Odin, that should have restored you to an unrooted state with the stock recovery. It should also replace the kernel, which includes the Knox bootloader. But if you can flash a modem you clearly have a custom recovery (CWM, TWRP, etc.). And if you can run Triangle Away, you're still rooted, becase it won't run on an unrooted device. As long as you're rooted, the download counter will reset to 1 every time you reboot. If you reset it to 0, and successfully unroot, it should stay at zero.

    And since you still have the Knox bootloader, it doesn't seem to me that the Odin ROM load actually worked, or didn't work completely.

    Can you please go into settings / About device, take a screen capture, and post it here? Also, when you go into settings, do you have the tabs across the top (Connection, My device, Accounts, More) or is everything on one long scrolling page?

    You say you updated to stock 4.3 via OTA. Were you rooted before you applied the OTA? Did it generated any errors?
    I'll clarify. I bought my note 2 with 4.1.1, updated it to 4.1.2 via ota and to 4.3 via ota too. My note was completely virgin without any roots and custom recoveries. But as I said I didn't like 4.3. So I took stock 4.1.1 from sammobile, went to download mode and simply flashed my phone to 4.1.1 using odin. I did this in stock recovery's download mode. My phone stuck on samsung flash screen after flash completed and phone restarted. So I entered stock recovery, did factory reset and now my phone was able to boot. I went to download mode again and saw knox warranty void 0x1 and that my phone state is custom and that I have counter set to 1. These all procedures were done without any custom recoveries, rooting and so on and these procedures triggered all counters. My phone was never rooted till I did these things. And as I said that when the phone fully booted I was not able to login to gsm network as my phone had no imei. I've read that the issue here is that 4.3 modifies efs partition and because of that old modem can't read this partition. So I've extracted modem.bin from 4.1.2 rom taken from sammobile and flashed it via odin. Again, no custom recoveries. When I did that I was able to access gsm network and IMEI was back. I've tried to root my phone only after all of these things as my phone was in custom mode and I wanted to reset it. But I'm unaware why I've got phone with custom state because my phone was never rooted, I used stock recovery and I flashed to stock firmware:/ Maybe firmware taken from sammobile is not the stock one:/ I attached the picture. And no I have no tabs because I'm in 4.1.1.

    Sprint Galaxy S3 - Knox-screenshot_2014-01-04-23-44-02.png
  20. #45  

    Default Re: Knox

    I'm sorry, but I'm baffled. There must be differences in the Note, as compared to the Galaxy, that I don't understand.

    You've posted your question in the Sprint S3 forum. Maybe there's someone in the note forum who can give you more help:

    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  21. #46  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by andyistic View Post
    I have a Sprint Galaxy S3, and I updated to Android 4.3
    It placed the stock recover on the cell.

    I then went to Download Mode, and installed Clockwork Custom Recovery via Odin, and it works fine.
    I can even install a custom ROM like JellyBomb if I want to, but that would bring me down to Android 4.1.2

    So at this point, I don't know what Knox does on this particular cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rando991 View Post
    I have heard you can do that but you cannot odin back to a pre 4.3 ROM without permanently bricking your phone. However, even though you can root and install a custom recovery, you can never get rid of the knox bootloader, which records that you have flashed something and this voids your warranty on the phone. I read where somebody tried to restore a nandroid to his pre upgrade setup (to get around the odin method), but he found out knox is still there, hidden but still there... and active.


    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I was rooted stock 4.1.2 and accidentally (don't ask) ended up installing the 4.3 update. So now I'm stock 4.3 with Knox and as far as I can tell I lost root.

    Can I go into download mode and install custom recovery on this phone with Odin like andyistic did, even though I lost root? Or do I need to reroot first? And if so, how?

    I don't care all that much about tripping the warranty bit and losing my warranty. As long as I can have root I'm happy. I'm also OK with not being able to install ROMs lower than 4.3. Knox isn't the end of the world for me if those two things are possible.
  22. #47  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    I was rooted stock 4.1.2 and accidentally (don't ask) ended up installing the 4.3 update. So now I'm stock 4.3 with Knox and as far as I can tell I lost root.

    Can I go into download mode and install custom recovery on this phone with Odin like andyistic did, even though I lost root? Or do I need to reroot first? And if so, how?

    I don't care all that much about tripping the warranty bit and losing my warranty. As long as I can have root I'm happy. I'm also OK with not being able to install ROMs lower than 4.3. Knox isn't the end of the world for me if those two things are possible.
    I'm not quite sure what happens when you apply the OTA over a rooted phone, so I'm not sure what was lost. But the instructions in this post will get you rooted, with custom recovery, again:

    Possible method to root 4.3
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
  23. #48  

    Default Re: Knox

    Hello,
    Recently, I purchased the Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 (Boost Mobile) & as all past Android devices, rooting was in order (Phone seemed to do numerous updates out of the box as well as running 4.3 Android). Anyway, after using the CF Auto Root program, I've now got the "super user" icon but when I click on it, immediately I receive the message from Knox that it has been blocked. I've been reading a lot of threads as well as combed numerous sites regarding Knox & looks that there still appears to be no fix to disable or remove it?!

    So far I've tried with zero results (blocked by Knox):
    Terminal program way: su pm disable com.sec.knox.seandroid
    Titanium Backup
    Manually shutting down the Knox related files

    There is a Knox icon on the desktop but tapping on it has no effect & no other area on the phone for disabling/removing obKNOXious.

    I even thought of possibly downloading & reinstalling Knox (but can't find the file for download) to see if it would have any settings or ways to remove it.

    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

    Keep a smile on your face and love in your heart!
  24. #49  

    Default Re: Knox

    I think you've posted this in multiple threads. See post #30 in my rooting 4.3 thread. If you follow those steps you should be fine.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
  25. #50  

    Default Re: Knox

    So, does someone with a stock S3 and Knox unchecked have anything to worry about? Ray
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Android 4.3 update for galaxy S3 I9300
    By Pratik7 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 12:36 AM
  2. Samsung Galaxy S4 - How to update phone number
    By Edible Walrus in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2013, 05:49 AM
  3. Sprint LG G2 - just got my g2
    By 06klr650 in forum Sprint LG G2
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-30-2013, 02:18 PM
  4. Samsung Galaxy S4 - Custom Vibration Pattern?
    By komobu in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-30-2013, 10:40 AM
  5. Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini - Help me guys? Thanks
    By Num Lock in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2013, 07:57 AM

Posting Permissions