Sprint Galaxy S3 - Knox

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Re: Knox

I was with factory 4.3 image on my Galaxy Note 2 which I got via OTA. Can you explain how was I able to downgrade to stock 4.1.1 using odin then? I used 3.07 version for this.

That's very interesting. You are the first person I've heard of who didn't brick their device doing this. There are numerous people who have bricked GS3's and GS4's attempting this. I don't know what's different about the Note 2. I'm glad it worked out for you, but given the number of people who have bricked devices, I would still advise people against it..

rimvydukas

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

That's very interesting. You are the first person I've heard of who didn't brick their device doing this. There are numerous people who have bricked GS3's and GS4's attempting this. I don't know what's different about the Note 2. I'm glad it worked out for you, but given the number of people who have bricked devices, I would still advise people against it..

You scared me to death as I didn't saw no such things about bricking phones using this method:( I thought that if i have stock 4.3 i have no ability to downgrade only because this downgrade will bring knox warranty void flag set to 0x1. Are you saying that it is not possible to downgrade at all to any prior 4.3 firmware? Can you point me to some threads about this?

My story was very simple. I've upgraded to stock 4.3 version at the end of december didnt like it and tried to downgrade using official 4.1.1 and odin 3.07. All went fine except that I was not able to connect to gsm network. So I flashed modem part which i took from stock 4.1.2 rom and now i am able to connect to gsm network. There are few side effects left - famous knox warranty void flag and my phone state set to custom and download counter is set to 1. I've tried to root 4.1.1 and use triangle away for this. Triange away was able to reset my phone to official state and it was able to reset custom download flag but only till first full phone boot. After that i have the same custom state again. Is it possible to reset this counter at all now? And i was not able to enter stock recovery mode right after i rooted my phone:( One more side effect - i'm still with the latest bootloader which has knox:( So end of my story - I unrooted the phone, reflashed it with 4.1.1 using odin again, flashed working modem and think what to do next:)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Hmm. There are a couple of things here that are confusing me. If you flashed 4.1.1 in Odin, that should have restored you to an unrooted state with the stock recovery. It should also replace the kernel, which includes the Knox bootloader. But if you can flash a modem you clearly have a custom recovery (CWM, TWRP, etc.). And if you can run Triangle Away, you're still rooted, becase it won't run on an unrooted device. As long as you're rooted, the download counter will reset to 1 every time you reboot. If you reset it to 0, and successfully unroot, it should stay at zero.

And since you still have the Knox bootloader, it doesn't seem to me that the Odin ROM load actually worked, or didn't work completely.

Can you please go into settings / About device, take a screen capture, and post it here? Also, when you go into settings, do you have the tabs across the top (Connection, My device, Accounts, More) or is everything on one long scrolling page?

You say you updated to stock 4.3 via OTA. Were you rooted before you applied the OTA? Did it generated any errors?

rimvydukas

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

Hmm. There are a couple of things here that are confusing me. If you flashed 4.1.1 in Odin, that should have restored you to an unrooted state with the stock recovery. It should also replace the kernel, which includes the Knox bootloader. But if you can flash a modem you clearly have a custom recovery (CWM, TWRP, etc.). And if you can run Triangle Away, you're still rooted, becase it won't run on an unrooted device. As long as you're rooted, the download counter will reset to 1 every time you reboot. If you reset it to 0, and successfully unroot, it should stay at zero.

And since you still have the Knox bootloader, it doesn't seem to me that the Odin ROM load actually worked, or didn't work completely.

Can you please go into settings / About device, take a screen capture, and post it here? Also, when you go into settings, do you have the tabs across the top (Connection, My device, Accounts, More) or is everything on one long scrolling page?

You say you updated to stock 4.3 via OTA. Were you rooted before you applied the OTA? Did it generated any errors?

I'll clarify. I bought my note 2 with 4.1.1, updated it to 4.1.2 via ota and to 4.3 via ota too. My note was completely virgin without any roots and custom recoveries. But as I said I didn't like 4.3. So I took stock 4.1.1 from sammobile, went to download mode and simply flashed my phone to 4.1.1 using odin. I did this in stock recovery's download mode. My phone stuck on samsung flash screen after flash completed and phone restarted. So I entered stock recovery, did factory reset and now my phone was able to boot. I went to download mode again and saw knox warranty void 0x1 and that my phone state is custom and that I have counter set to 1. These all procedures were done without any custom recoveries, rooting and so on and these procedures triggered all counters. My phone was never rooted till I did these things. And as I said that when the phone fully booted I was not able to login to gsm network as my phone had no imei. I've read that the issue here is that 4.3 modifies efs partition and because of that old modem can't read this partition. So I've extracted modem.bin from 4.1.2 rom taken from sammobile and flashed it via odin. Again, no custom recoveries. When I did that I was able to access gsm network and IMEI was back. I've tried to root my phone only after all of these things as my phone was in custom mode and I wanted to reset it. But I'm unaware why I've got phone with custom state because my phone was never rooted, I used stock recovery and I flashed to stock firmware:/ Maybe firmware taken from sammobile is not the stock one:/ I attached the picture. And no I have no tabs because I'm in 4.1.1.

Screenshot_2014-01-04-23-44-02.png

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

I have a Sprint Galaxy S3, and I updated to Android 4.3
It placed the stock recover on the cell.

I then went to Download Mode, and installed Clockwork Custom Recovery via Odin, and it works fine.
I can even install a custom ROM like JellyBomb if I want to, but that would bring me down to Android 4.1.2

So at this point, I don't know what Knox does on this particular cell phone.

I have heard you can do that but you cannot odin back to a pre 4.3 ROM without permanently bricking your phone. However, even though you can root and install a custom recovery, you can never get rid of the knox bootloader, which records that you have flashed something and this voids your warranty on the phone. I read where somebody tried to restore a nandroid to his pre upgrade setup (to get around the odin method), but he found out knox is still there, hidden but still there... and active.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
I was rooted stock 4.1.2 and accidentally (don't ask) ended up installing the 4.3 update. So now I'm stock 4.3 with Knox and as far as I can tell I lost root.

Can I go into download mode and install custom recovery on this phone with Odin like andyistic did, even though I lost root? Or do I need to reroot first? And if so, how?

I don't care all that much about tripping the warranty bit and losing my warranty. As long as I can have root I'm happy. I'm also OK with not being able to install ROMs lower than 4.3. Knox isn't the end of the world for me if those two things are possible.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I was rooted stock 4.1.2 and accidentally (don't ask) ended up installing the 4.3 update. So now I'm stock 4.3 with Knox and as far as I can tell I lost root.

Can I go into download mode and install custom recovery on this phone with Odin like andyistic did, even though I lost root? Or do I need to reroot first? And if so, how?

I don't care all that much about tripping the warranty bit and losing my warranty. As long as I can have root I'm happy. I'm also OK with not being able to install ROMs lower than 4.3. Knox isn't the end of the world for me if those two things are possible.

I'm not quite sure what happens when you apply the OTA over a rooted phone, so I'm not sure what was lost. But the instructions in this post will get you rooted, with custom recovery, again:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...possible-method-root-4-3-a-2.html#post3316246

Dyke67ny

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

Hello,
Recently, I purchased the Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 (Boost Mobile) & as all past Android devices, rooting was in order (Phone seemed to do numerous updates out of the box as well as running 4.3 Android). Anyway, after using the CF Auto Root program, I've now got the "super user" icon but when I click on it, immediately I receive the message from Knox that it has been blocked. I've been reading a lot of threads as well as combed numerous sites regarding Knox & looks that there still appears to be no fix to disable or remove it?!

So far I've tried with zero results (blocked by Knox):
Terminal program way: su pm disable com.sec.knox.seandroid
Titanium Backup
Manually shutting down the Knox related files

There is a Knox icon on the desktop but tapping on it has no effect & no other area on the phone for disabling/removing obKNOXious.

I even thought of possibly downloading & reinstalling Knox (but can't find the file for download) to see if it would have any settings or ways to remove it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Keep a smile on your face and love in your heart!

Chris Kurisu

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site

While on CM running ICS, I wanted to see what 4.3 was like. So I made a Nandroid backup and, not even imagining that I would not be able to revert, nor knowing anything about Knox, I flashed I535VRUCML1_I535VZWCML1_HOME.tar.md5.

I kicked 4.3's tires for a while and then went to restore my Nandroid backup. It was then that I encountered scary errors. Errors I'd not seen before. So, thinking there was some PIT issue, I turned to my trusty stock file (COMBINATION_I535VRBLK3_I535VZWBLK3_381038_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5 not sure if PIT's even in there but still, I gave it a go) just to get back to OOTB condition. No joy. Obviously I was running against the "once you go 4.3, you can't go back".

So, I reloaded 4.3 (I535VRUCML1_I535VZWCML1_HOME.tar.md5) and began tooling around a bit more. I actually like it, and if it weren't for the bloat I be happy with it. But I digress. Then I read about the Knox issue and the inability to revert to older FW.

From what I've read, if I'm running Jelly Bean then I have Knox. Yet I cannot find any reference to it whatsoever. It's not under Setting>>Security>>Device Administrators. Neither "recovery" nor Odin mode show any signs of it. FWIW the source of the md5 file link stated that it was official. Certainly I'm happy about that but is this is weird?

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Check xda for work arounds

-----------------------------------------
Mommy posted this because I am not allowed to internets

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site

Just a thought, but perhaps we could start an online petition asking Samsung to make KNOX optional, or have an on/off toggle. Get enough people, and maybe Samsung might actually do something for us.

Knox is not going away and soon you will see something like it on all devices from all oems.

Blackberry is dead and everyone wants the money they made. Not to mention the carriers would like the bootloader to be harder to crack.

-----------------------------------------
Mommy posted this because I am not allowed to internets

nieminen

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site

A number of people have successfully rooted 4.3 using this process: [SPH-L710] CF-Auto-Root - xda-developers I don't know if that supports the Virgin mobile version or not, so you should probably read that thread, and ask there if it's not clear.

After you're done rootng, go to the play store and update SuperSU, or you'll apparently have a number of glitches.

And note that the one absolute No No, don't even think about it, after loading the factory 4.3 image, is never use Odin to try to load a pre 4.3ROM. It WILL brick your phone.

I just updated to 4.3 having no idea it would screw with my root options. And once installed, realized I no longer had root access... So I followed qbking77's instructions from youtube (which use odin) and I came out the other end just fine. Installed CWM, but alas, KNOX is still blocking root :( I wish I had stayed with 4.1.2... The only reason I even run stock is because for some reason all of the aftermarket roms screwed with my ability to send/recieve calls, texts, mms, and never seemed to have as much signal as I should. Stock fixes all that, but I miss all the neat toys that are on the aftermarket roms like Carbon and Cyanogen.

Last edited:

mattz1022

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site

Thanks meyerweb and everybody for the good info here. I noticed the link above for the SAMSUNGNIZER is for the S4. Will it work for the S3 too? Also, my main goal is to strip Sprint from my phone so that i can utilize other carrier towers other than sprint for straighttalk. Is there no other way than usng the samsungnizer and flashing the rom to achieve this? or is it something embedded in the chip i cannot change that keeps it on the sprint towers? Sorry if this is a noob question. Thank You

babyboy3703

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site

Ok first thing I'm running a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 SPHL710 on stock rooted rom with baseband LG2 & kernel KT747-dirty & TWRP 2.6.0.0 touch

I have been trying to git it to go to kit kat but it will not in the beginning of the flash it say's failed & this is for any kit kat rom! They keep hard bricking & soft bricking my phone so for any help on this would be greatful

& now to speak on the gray area a little I have a paid version of CDMA & i used a metro phone for clone & was able to put all the correct settings in PRL & ect everything is allgood. but when i go to use QPST Service Programing & read from phone it attempts to connect but after a couple of seconds it says [ The phone has stopped responding to memory read/write commands.] & only loads the part of the settings page. Any support would be greatful on that

& this phone is supposed to be CDMA & GSM right but its not but if your rooted & have SQLite you can get to these other setting by going to [Phone info] then [db_systempropery] [t_systempropery] & in this page it gives you RTSPProxyPort,RTSPProxyAddr,ServerPort & ect & this is where I'm asking for help does this page matter or do these setting change once it connects to a Carrier thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-13-15-08-38.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-13-15-08-38.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_2014-04-13-15-56-12[1].png
    Screenshot_2014-04-13-15-56-12[1].png
    160.7 KB · Views: 1

RafaelSatohari

May 25, 2014
Visit site

Just go into settings, more, security, device administrators.....you should see knox there....and personally I would uncheck out lol

Okay, but what if I have an Galaxy s3 android 4.3 and by following the above steps I don't find knox there?

could I root it by cf-autoroot?

what is the best method only to root it and avoid later problems with knox?

On device shows baseband I9300UBUGMK1 and build is JSS15j.I9300UBUGMK6

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc