Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    dizzle16's Avatar

    Posts
    627 Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogenmod 7/scott Pilgr

    Default Sprint Galaxy S3 - Knox

    I wanted to know if there's a way to verify if I have Samsung Knox installed on my s3. I know it came with the 4.3 update but I see no signs of it. Is there a way to verify?

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by dizzle16 View Post
    I wanted to know if there's a way to verify if I have Samsung Knox installed on my s3. I know it came with the 4.3 update but I see no signs of it. Is there a way to verify?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Just go into settings, more, security, device administrators.....you should see knox there....and personally I would uncheck out lol
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    dizzle16's Avatar

    Posts
    627 Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogenmod 7/scott Pilgr

    Default Re: Knox

    Yeah its there but not checked. Think Devs will find a root workaround for Knox?

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by dizzle16 View Post
    Yeah its there but not checked. Think Devs will find a root workaround for Knox?
    It doesn't look like it's going to be easy. A key point of Knox is to lock the bootloader down and prevent people from circumventing it.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    It doesn't look like it's going to be easy. A key point of Knox is to lock the bootloader down and prevent people from circumventing it.
    I'm honestly impressed with Knox....even though it's annoying I can see it's usefulness for enterprise solutions. Lol they supposedly worked with the NSA to develop it. Which might make it harder or easier lol..... someone email Mr.Snowden lol he might know?

    Probably shouldn't have said that.....might get targeted for investigation......
    tiarosi likes this.
  6. #6  
    lyingfromyou's Avatar

    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth 4.2.2/Lean

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by x893 View Post
    I'm honestly impressed with Knox....even though it's annoying I can see it's usefulness for enterprise solutions. Lol they supposedly worked with the NSA to develop it. Which might make it harder or easier lol..... someone email Mr.Snowden lol he might know?

    Probably shouldn't have said that.....might get targeted for investigation......
    Type his name 2 more times and see what happens...... Haha!
    tiarosi likes this.
  7. #7  
    SebasCvdB's Avatar

    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rom

    Default Re: Knox

    Knox is crap.. we shouldve had the option of wanting it since some of us dont use our devices for work... now im screwed out of using custom roms... rooted just fine but limited to what i can do

    Send from Mars using Tapatalk Pro
    Do not question the words I type, question the reply you are typing at this moment...
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by SebasCvdB View Post
    Knox is crap.. we shouldve had the option of wanting it since some of us dont use our devices for work... now im screwed out of using custom roms... rooted just fine but limited to what i can do

    Send from Mars using Tapatalk Pro
    Yep. Unless the hacking community figures out a way around Knox, this will be my last Samsung phone.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Yep. Unless the hacking community figures out a way around Knox, this will be my last Samsung phone.
    They will have it soon. I know cnexus has a 4.3 stock rom out. If I'm not mistaken it doesn't have knox in it.

    sent from a GS3 gone Wicked
    GS3...Wicked Sensations

    EVO 4G...Digital Twinturbo-retired
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by seanskiT1 View Post
    They will have it soon. I know cnexus has a 4.3 stock rom out. If I'm not mistaken it doesn't have knox in it.

    sent from a GS3 gone Wicked
    Yes, but that only works if you're flashing it on a phone that doesn't already have the Knox bootloader installed. Once Samsung starts shipping new phones with 4.3 pre-installed, or if you've applied the OTA, the cnexus ROM won't remove Knox from the bootloader, and you'll be stuck with the stock recovery, and the stock ROM.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Yes, but that only works if you're flashing it on a phone that doesn't already have the Knox bootloader installed. Once Samsung starts shipping new phones with 4.3 pre-installed, or if you've applied the OTA, the cnexus ROM won't remove Knox from the bootloader, and you'll be stuck with the stock recovery, and the stock ROM.
    They are also working on way to take care of that also. Not sure if it is working yet.

    sent from a GS3 gone Wicked
    GS3...Wicked Sensations

    EVO 4G...Digital Twinturbo-retired
  12. #12  
    lyingfromyou's Avatar

    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth 4.2.2/Lean

    Default Re: Knox

    They will get around it, the factory had to have left a back door. I know they didn't lock themselves out... only a matter of time before it's exposed & exploited! Thats what I love about this community, mostly self taught users cranking out better faster roms than the people who get paid to do it.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Knox

    The back door is there for the NSA.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.
    lyingfromyou and jhill110 like this.
  14. #14  
    SebasCvdB's Avatar

    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rom

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The back door is there for the NSA.
    Lol, I love how paranoid everybody is about that.. I can kind of understand the KNOX but they shouldn't have put it in the bootloader... or given the consumers the option of installing a KNOX loaded version or none KNOX loaded version...
    Do not question the words I type, question the reply you are typing at this moment...
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Knox

    I followed this guide from XDA to remove Knox from my T-Mobile branded SGH T999. It states Guide for I9500 but still worked. Been a week rooted with no problems.
    [GUIDE] [I9500] Updating to 4.3 from 4.2.2 Custom rom by avoiding bootlops - xda-developers
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3 (No KNOX)

    If My post has helped please hit the Thanks Button


    Unused Ram is Wasted Ram
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Knox

    I am like another poster here, it should have been an option. I have never used or do plan on using my personal phone for company use....PERIOD!!!
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by GTWalling View Post
    I followed this guide from XDA to remove Knox from my T-Mobile branded SGH T999. It states Guide for I9500 but still worked. Been a week rooted with no problems.
    [GUIDE] [I9500] Updating to 4.3 from 4.2.2 Custom rom by avoiding bootlops - xda-developers
    Since I don't have a T999 I didn't bother to read all the details, but I'm curious: Does this actually remove it from the bootloader, or just the application files?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Knox

    Not sure. I don't see it in settings any more. I just know that before I was rooted and Knox stopped Superuser from running.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3 (No KNOX)

    If My post has helped please hit the Thanks Button


    Unused Ram is Wasted Ram
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Knox

    While I haven't customized this phone beyond stock, I know I've always wanted to - and that's one of the main reasons why I choose Android.

    I'm stuck trying to figure out what should be my next move to see me through the remaining life of this phone: update OTA and be done with it? or take the plunge with a custom ROM? Decisions, decisions.

    But for now, the update notifications are nagging me constantly. Any suggestons? I'm looking for a few good 'If I was you, I'd...'
    thanks! ;D
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Knox

    I can't really speak for you, but if I were me, but with a stock phone.....

    I would not run the OTA. We know the Knox bootloader limits your future options (although it has now been successfully rooted), increases the risk of bricking your phone if you try to get around it, and may not ever be bypassed.

    I would follow Skunkape's root thread to root and install a custom recovery (NOT custom ROM). This keeps your options open. "You can keep your current stock ROM and eliminate the nags (I think). You can install the stock, rooted 4.3 ROM, install a custom ROM in the future if you choose, go back to 4.1.2 if you decide you don't like 4.3, install Xposed and be able to do lot's of customizations easily and safely. You could even revert to stock in the future and run the OTA then if there's a compelling reason to.

    But once you run the OTA your options become more limited.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Knox

    For me personally all it has done is confuse the crap out of me..

    2 days ago without knowing about the Knox security I went ahead and updated to 4.3 through kies...I was running MOAR Rom .
    Then after trying to root it I found it had this Knox thing...
    I have searched all over different forums and come to the conclusion that people are saying "No you cannot root with Knox installed" "yes you can root" , not to mention the Brick word like a million times..
    Can someone tell me, Can I root my phone now that I updated to 4.3 through Keis? And can you include a link if it is possible ?
    I am using the Virgin Mobile S3 SPH-L170.

    Thanks.
    tiarosi likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Knox

    A number of people have successfully rooted 4.3 using this process: [SPH-L710] CF-Auto-Root - xda-developers I don't know if that supports the Virgin mobile version or not, so you should probably read that thread, and ask there if it's not clear.

    After you're done rootng, go to the play store and update SuperSU, or you'll apparently have a number of glitches.

    And note that the one absolute No No, don't even think about it, after loading the factory 4.3 image, is never use Odin to try to load a pre 4.3ROM. It WILL brick your phone.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.
    dcharleyultra likes this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Knox

    I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this question - am new to the forum. Made the mistake of upgrading to 4.3 on my sg3 T-999 via Kies when I knew that I would have to eventually unlock this phone for use on another carrier - and it appears the super easy unlocking method afforded previous version users is now no longer available. Ended up here thinking that I would now have to root my phone in order to unlock it... Could somebody point me to a set of directions (if any) to unlock this phone that now has BigBrother Knox lording over it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Knox

    You're asking in a forum for Sprint phones, and the rooting methods may be different. I would ask again, here:

    http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-m...ng-roms-hacks/

    this thread on XDA might be useful: [Q] GSIII 4.3 Root Help - xda-developers
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.
    Thanked by:
    etrash 
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Knox

    Quote Originally Posted by etrash View Post
    it appears the super easy unlocking method afforded previous version users is now no longer available
    Are you saying that you can no longer just call the carrier and ask them to unlock the phone for you?

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Android 4.3 update for galaxy S3 I9300
    By Pratik7 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 12:36 AM
  2. Samsung Galaxy S4 - How to update phone number
    By Edible Walrus in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2013, 05:49 AM
  3. Sprint LG G2 - just got my g2
    By 06klr650 in forum Sprint LG G2
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-30-2013, 02:18 PM
  4. Samsung Galaxy S4 - Custom Vibration Pattern?
    By komobu in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-30-2013, 10:40 AM
  5. Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini - Help me guys? Thanks
    By Num Lock in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2013, 07:57 AM

Posting Permissions