Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is Samsung KNOX safe to remove?

I'm currently deleting apps that I never use and this one I'm not sure if I should delete or not, even if I never use it. Are there any "side-effects" after deleting this?

Default Re: Is Samsung KNOX safe to remove?

You deleted Knox? I'm not sure you can do that and delete the features. It's a security program installed deeply onto your device. I'm currently trying to get rid of it with rooting and custom ROMS, so either way, Knox totally sucks so if you deleted it, good work.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yeah, I just rooted my phone. Which is why I'm asking, already deleted it though.

where you able to delete knox and how

Global Posts
    2,829 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

The MJ5 restore for the AT&T Note 3 (on XDA) includes deleting all the Knox files. I haven't had to restore mine yet (either someone is watching out for me, or Santa gave me a great present last month), but no one has complained about any problems, so I'd assume that it's safe to delete them.

Global Posts
    8,460 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Try rebooting the phone and see if the Knox files return. If not, and no side effects occur, then you should be OK. But, just note that I'm almost 100% there are still Knox features loaded on the device that keeps track of your root state, how many times you have installed a custom ROM or Kernel, etc.

Global Posts
    8,892 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Try rebooting the phone and see if the Knox files return. If not, and no side effects occur, then you should be OK. But, just note that I'm almost 100% there are still Knox features loaded on the device that keeps track of your root state, how many times you have installed a custom ROM or Kernel, etc.
    Yeah, the delete probably only deleted the app. Knox is still in the bootloader, probably still going to block root attempts and such

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    8,460 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Yeah, the delete probably only deleted the app. Knox is still in the bootloader, probably still going to block root attempts and such

Does Knox actually block root or does it just keep track of it? I had the S2 and it had the pre-knox feature for counting the kernel flashes.

Global Posts
    8,892 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Does Knox actually block root or does it just keep track of it? I had the S2 and it had the pre-knox feature for counting the kernel flashes.
    Blocks root or any custom recovery/ROM. It keeps track if it now too, before Knox all there was was the flash counter, which could be reset with triangle away. That doesn't work with Knox

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Re: Is Samsung KNOX safe to remove?

First, Samsung KNOX is an updated bootloader. Here is some informations on this page :
    https://www.samsungknox.com/en/overv...hnical-details
    I did remove all KNOX products using titanium backup ''paid version'' and then my phone lost connection after reboot so it wasnt a safe way to remove it.
    I succsessfully restored my phone using ODIN3 and stock 4.3 .tar.md5. Its also important to wipe cache/dalvik

Also, It is possible to update android to 4.3 firmware without the knox bootloader update package in it, Here's how :
    How to remove KNOX Bootloader from new firmware - Galaxy S4 Mini Archive - Custom ROMs, Tips and Tricks

This video is showing you how to do it on the S4 mini and the process should be the same for the Galaxy S4, only the firmware is different.
    I did work on it on 12 january 2014. Had to install VM ubuntu 12.04 LTS and to download the right firmware. Now, lets start coding

Before learning all these information, I did downgrade to android 4.2 wich triggered knox warranty void set to 0x1
    By the way, there is no known way to reset the knox set warranty bit back to 0x0 yet.

And finnally, for you guys who want to know, it is possible to root android 4.3 using Kingo Android ROOT. I did it on my canadian galaxy s4 i337m
    and I have data LTE / gsm service and WIFI is still fonctionnal.

the aforementioned forum on xda "How to remove KNOX Bootloader from new firmware ..." assumes to starting with the bootloader without knox. Now that you have encountered the knox warranty void, probably you are with the bootloader with knox. How do you think to proceed in order to delete the knox bootloader?

Smile Re: Is Samsung KNOX safe to remove?

I was told by Samsung Warrantee Repair in Portland, OR, Not to delete the Knox files even though I could. The Bootloader will look for the files when reloading. However, they did say you can freeze the files with no problems as the files are still there when the Bootloader looks for them. This way you can unfreeze them later if a problem did arise.
    Again this is per the Tech at the repair center.
    I rooted my AT&T version of the Note 3 with "Kingo root software" it did not trip Knox counter.
    Then AT&T installed the new patch, Baseband ver. N900AUCUBNB4. I was again able to root my Note 3 with "Kingo" root software. Again, It did not trip the Knox counter. Then I used Ultimate Backup to freeze the following Knox software:

com.sec.enterprise.knox.attestation
    com.sec.knox.eventsmanager
    KLMS Agent
    KNOX
    Knox Notification Manager
    KNOX Store

I have rebooted my phone with no problems. This was all done on my AT&T SM-N900A Galaxy Note 3.
    Per the original site where I found the Kingo program stated it may work on other Samsung Galaxy phones but not sure which as it was not explicit on which ones.
    Hope this helps,
    Tom8311

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonandDawn Finley View Post
    where you able to delete knox and how
    through knox app: uninstall

I'm rooted using Towel Root and used ES File Explorer (free) to delete bloatware system apps. Of course, Knox is in the list of system apps I can delete. Before I do I just wanted to make sure it was safe to.
    Galaxy S4, Verizon