Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By Sammy3007
  • 5 Post By Darth Spock
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 4 Post By Patrick Schroedl
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By Sammy3007
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 2 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Big mistake of 'Knox' in Galaxy S4 :(

Well, the galaxy s4 users are much aware of knox purpose. Of course, it secures business data in whole different container. This means it allows us to keep high confidential data. That is why, it asks for password each time we click the knox icon. If you come out or sidelock it, it will again ask for password when you click the knox icon. We won't be able to delete the 'knox apps' in the main settings it will say 'this app is used by different administrator'. This is really welcoming. But it seems everyone can get into knox without password. Say for example, I am in knox now. Working on some business stuff. Come out. (Remember, knox should be locked now). Now l go to main home page and long press the home button. Here l can see all the recently visited pages including that business stuff from knox. If l click it to open, it directly goes to knox without asking for password and l can access all the content in knox. If I forget to delete the recent pages and leave the phone, every one can access knox without password. But it should actually ask for password. Isn't it big mistake? Doesn't it put our confidential data in danger ?
    Last edited by Sammy3007; 02-28-2014 at 10:32 PM.
    UJ95x likes this.

Global Posts
    7,056 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Big mistake of 'Knox' in Galaxy S4 :(

If that's repeatable it'd be a really good idea to report that to Samsung so they're aware of the bug.

Global Posts
    20,811 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

If true, this is a fatal flaw that probably made its way into the updated version

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Sammy3007 likes this.

Global Posts
    8,892 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I second NIT's recommendation. That is a major bug if it managed to make it to Knox 2.0 on the S5.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Sammy3007 likes this.

Fortunately it's a rather straightforward issue to fix, likely only requiring Samsung to handle the onStart() and onResume() methods in the Knox app's Activities in such a way that the user is prompted for the password.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

It is obviously true !!!

Global Posts
    20,811 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy3007 View Post
    It is obviously true !!!
    Maybe Samsung should hire you as a beta tester??

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Sammy3007 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I have reported it to Samsung!
    Thanked by:
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    8,892 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I have reported it to Samsung!
    Nice job catching that. Let us know if they get back to you

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Sammy3007 likes this.

Global Posts
    20,811 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Would love to be a fly on the wall to see their faces, and hear the reaction when they test this.

Phone Timeline
    UJ95x and Sammy3007 like this.

Global Posts
    8,892 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Would love to be a fly on the wall to see their faces, and hear the reaction when they test this.
    Knox failed at being Knox? 😨😨😨

in knox setting there a time out before it lock....have you look at that?

Well, the galaxy s4 users are much aware of knox purpose. Of course, it secures business data in whole different container. This means it allows us to keep high confidential data. That is why, it asks for password each time we click the knox icon. If you come out or sidelock it, it will again ask for password when you click the knox icon. We won't be able to delete the 'knox apps' in the main settings it will say 'this app is used by different administrator'. This is really welcoming. But it seems everyone can get into knox without password. Say for example, I am in knox now. Working on some business stuff. Come out. (Remember, knox should be locked now). Now l go to main home page and long press the home button. Here l can see all the recently visited pages including that business stuff from knox. If l click it to open, it directly goes to knox without asking for password and l can access all the content in knox. If I forget to delete the recent pages and leave the phone, every one can access knox without password. But it should actually ask for password. Isn't it big mistake? Doesn't it put our confidential data in danger ?

I- Coming out of Knox: different way, lock knox when you want out, if you press personal icon you are out but knox still active according to the settings you provided for, while in knox if you turn screen off..knox still active so you can go back easily without password up to 30 minutes max while idling.
    anyway there is a settings in knox , turn off screen then back it will ask for a password, 5 min up to 30 min with out locking knox.

2- deleting knox: why??? anyway done from knox app when no files attach to it

3- could be true if....look number 1

4- remember...., it depens then again refer to 1

5- again No 1...but when knox really lock you will not be able to see those web page until you put password

6- forgetting, don't forget...easiest way set a time out