Stratosphere and Ice Cream Sandwich: Think we're getting it?

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I ran across this article where they predicted which handsets would get ICS and which wouldn't. Of course, like the HTC Merge, the Stratosphere was overlooked.

Since it's basically the Charge though, I'd guess that we'd get it since they said the Charge is a likely candidate and it's only a matter of when.

What do you think? :)

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Let's look at the LTE phones on Verizon:

Bionic - Shoe in for sure, even if it flopped, which it didn't.
Thunderbolt - Still a huge seller and will get the update solely because of that.
Revolution - Still selling well, will most likely get it as long as LG hasn't thrown the towel in on it and opted for new device built with ICS in mind.
Charge - Selling really well still, will most likely get it.
Breakout - There's a lot of technical hurdles on this one and VZW may opt out of an update for this.
Stratosphere - It's essentially the Charge with a keyboard, it's brand new to VZW, and it it's the only LTE slider, it would surprise me if it didn't get the update shortly after the Charge, if the Charge gets it. In fact, I bet all original Galaxy S phones get it just because Samsung has been intent on keeping the original line alive, and they worked so closely with Google on the GN and ICS they already have a shoe in the door for this.

All in all I'd say the whole line up of LTE phones at Verizon will get it, except the Breakout. The app space on that phone might not stand up to all of ICS's in-built apps plus the VZW patented bloat.

That or none of the phones get it because Google added a feature to disable/remove carrier apps you don't want and we all know VZW loves it's crapware more than customer requests and demands as well as a major software update from the OS their top selling phones use.

On top of that it's gonna be a while as hardware vendors have to rethink and retool their custom UI's for this game changing update which, of course, makes me a sad panda. If we see it it'll likely be after June 2012 thanks to that.

Last edited:

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I think he meant an official update. If we root this bad boy, porting CM9 from the Charge/Epic 4G will be little to no problem. Speaking of CM9, I'm interested in what they plan to do to it.

killroy420

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
It's too new a device NOT to get the update, plus Samsung is basically the first company to have been given access to the code. However, I wouldn't count on it coming out any time soon, because they (Samsung) are going to have their hands full for a while with the Nexus.

The only other issue I see is that Verizon has billed this phone as a mid range device, so it certaintly won't be given any priority from them. Either way, I don't think it matters much. The Gingerbread build it has been given seems to be pretty dang good (smooth, great battery life, minimal bugs, etc), and my wife certaintly doesn't care about the latest and greatest software :)

I would also venture a guess that anyone else considering this phone wouldn't care much either. The people that do care about ICS should have already known that the new software - along with the new devices - was on its way and would have already moved on to something else. I count myself in that group but not my wife, which is why I got her one.

MofoMan2000

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I would also venture a guess that anyone else considering this phone wouldn't care much either. The people that do care about ICS should have already known that the new software - along with the new devices - was on its way and would have already moved on to something else. I count myself in that group but not my wife, which is why I got her one.

Don't be so sure. I care a lot about getting an ICS update as soon as possible. I wanted this phone because it's the only phone with LTE and a keyboard, and I love me that physical keyboard. The Droid 4 is no doubt destined to be another locked-down Motorola POS and for all we know they might pull an LG and make it unrootable. So if the Strat doesn't get an official update, at least I can take comfort in the thought that the bootloader isn't locked and CM9 may be ported.

Technipages

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about purchasing a Stratosphere and got curious about this topic as well. So I chatted with a live rep. To me, the answer they gave me means NO.

Samsung Chat.png

-Mitch

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't mean anything. They said the same stuff about the SGSII shortly after ICS was announced. Considering the phone is newer and VZW has already sent in a request for upgrade to Sammy we'll have our answer not too long after the first wave of upgrades go out.

afairman1927

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
With all of the dual core phones out right now, I highly doubt ICS will go out to the strat. You guys are looking at this from a dev standpoint and what works and what won't. Think of it from a business standpoint... keeping ICS off the strat would leave retailers a key up-selling feature. MAYBE we'll get it AFTER ICS saturates the android market and the strat is yesterday's news.

But why? I'm completely content with the progress these guys here are making on dev BETTER roms than anything we can get stock. The only reason why I would want it released for the strat is so that THESE guys can make it BETTER. That's so far away though that I'm not holding my breath. The phone was just released... if they were going to send out an ICS update, they'd have done it out of box. Other than that, we all are going to have to wait a long time and by that time, I'll already have flashed something better. Just my 2 cents.

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Stock s a safe and easy base for custom ROM's. On top of that most people who know what root is only want rooted stock to block ads and remove bloat (was that a redundant statement? Block ads and remove bloat? Meh). Considering we have no RIL for our phone and the GalNex might be no help at all (different LTE chips sadly) we might have to stick with stock ROM's for a long time, if not for the life of the phone.

Shadowfalx

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
With all of the dual core phones out right now, I highly doubt ICS will go out to the strat. You guys are looking at this from a dev standpoint and what works and what won't. Think of it from a business standpoint... keeping ICS off the strat would leave retailers a key up-selling feature. MAYBE we'll get it AFTER ICS saturates the android market and the strat is yesterday's news.

But why? I'm completely content with the progress these guys here are making on dev BETTER roms than anything we can get stock. The only reason why I would want it released for the strat is so that THESE guys can make it BETTER. That's so far away though that I'm not holding my breath. The phone was just released... if they were going to send out an ICS update, they'd have done it out of box. Other than that, we all are going to have to wait a long time and by that time, I'll already have flashed something better. Just my 2 cents.

Stock ICS = ICS drivers = better ICS custom ROMs

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I still think that the strat will get an ICS upgrade: this isn't the Ally or Citrus or Devour, people are buying it at a surprisingly high rate.

That and the high end enthusiast users verizon courted with the Droid Charge expect a ICS upgrade. We all know the charge is a Galaxy S internally, so it shouldn't be too time consuming for Samsung to get a Stratosphere compatable update out. It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't working on both at the same time given the similarities. :)

Edit: Although the post is aimed at the Korean market, perhaps I've spoken too soon: http://www.androidcentral.com/samsu...hy-galaxy-s-and-galaxy-tab-didnt-make-ics-cut

We'll have to see what Verizon does over the next couple of months I guess to know for sure.

Last edited:

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If anthing limits its chances its it being a midrange product and it has limited storage.

Is the storage really that limited though? In any case, Samsung's backtracking even further and rumors suggest that they might do a "feature pack" that incorporates 4.0 features without the OS upgrade:

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsu...bly-get-value-pack-instead-ice-cream-sandwich

Of course, us carriers likely have their own upgrade plans, etc. Just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Quinn1981

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it should. If their reasoning for the other phones is storage, it would make sense that they wouldn't upgrade the Stratosphere.

Fortunately, CM just got released for the Epic 4G. Hoping progress will continue towards my Strat. <3

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I guess there's work going on in seedy IRC rooms trying to crack the gnex RIL, but I don't think they're RIL will help us. Different chips usually means different software.

ssjtiamat

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I agree, "Pamela" sounds as scripted as any other online customer service rep. With those I have found you really have to start asking a couple off the wall questions to get them out of their "script", or at least to get the live rep to actually start typing. :)

Anyway, I am new to 'Droid and just picked up a Strat. Moved over from BB. While I am extremely happy with the current OS (blows the Blackberry OS out of the water for sure-and this from a previous BB fanboy), but I am as eager to get the update as the next guy. The newer the better. Of course after the bugs are cleaned out. But from everything that I have read/seen/heard, the Strat will get the ICS update. It is just a matter of when, like many others have said.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000