Download Speed

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I went to the VZW store and ran speed test on the Stratosphere, Charge, breakout & Thunderbolt (I am in a 3G area) and the speed for the thunderboldbolt up and down was at least double all the other phones. Can anyone explain this and will this be true once my area gets 4G?

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
My only guess is that the 3G chipset used isn't limited to a cap (or maybe the cap is higher for marketing purposes). There shouldn't be a difference once LTE ends up in your area as all the phones use VERY similar LTE chipsets (if not the exact same).

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My only guess is that the 3G chipset used isn't limited to a cap (or maybe the cap is higher for marketing purposes). There shouldn't be a difference once LTE ends up in your area as all the phones use VERY similar LTE chipsets (if not the exact same).
They actually use pretty different 4g radios. Samsung uses their own radio which is why samsung 4g devices get much better battery life compared to the thunderbolt. The thunderbolt might get faster 3g because it is the only device capable of SVDO (simultaneous voice and data on CDMA 3g).

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't aware of the 3G radios. Thanks for the info. The SVDO shouldn't make that big of a difference as far as my understanding goes. I also wonder why all LTE phones aren't SVDO.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers