Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: [KERNEL] [GUIDE] Root Your Stratosphere! :-)

I got the Charge version of CWM to start, but only by manually invoking it via adb once recovery "boots". I'm not sure why it won't automatically launch, but it seems to related to the fact that it can't modify the root filesystem by the time it gets to the line to launch it in recovery.rc.

I'll have to chat with the Charge devs and see if they can shed some light on this. Should be a simple thing I'm missing.

Keep us posted and thanks for all your work.

ROM
    AOKP / Franco Kernel

I too appreciate your effort to get this phone properly rooted and ROMed. I want to put A proper Vanilla version of Android on (my wife) stratosphere to eliminate the bugs she has encountered and hopefully improve her battery life.

Does this wipe everything?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

Quote Originally Posted by HalfMartian View Post
    Does this wipe everything?
    Does what wipe everything? The kernel? No it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightCrusader View Post
    I got the Charge version of CWM to start, but only by manually invoking it via adb once recovery "boots". I'm not sure why it won't automatically launch, but it seems to related to the fact that it can't modify the root filesystem by the time it gets to the line to launch it in recovery.rc.

I'll have to chat with the Charge devs and see if they can shed some light on this. Should be a simple thing I'm missing.
    Did the Charge guys help out or is this pretty much done until you can get some help?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbman View Post
    Did the Charge guys help out or is this pretty much done until you can get some help?
    Actually, I've been too busy to get back into it lately... that's what a promotion at work does to you, but I'm not complaining about more money.

As soon as I get some time, I'm gonna jump back into it, I promise. It just got pushed down on my list of priorities.

Hey KC, when you get a chance, maybe try tis?

[Recovery] Rzrecovery - Many Devices - RootzWiki

Seems to have a lot of support from the dev. Might be easier to implement and will likely be easier to use.

I rooted my phone as described above. I have removed the bloatware using Titanium Back Up that I don't want but I can't enable wifi tether or barnacle. On both I get an ad-hoc issue any help. This is my second droid device I have modded I had the incredible modded with cyanogen 7. Thanks.

Did the image flash ok but now I can't see the device after entering the adb devices command. I get "List of devices attached" but no device listed. Any Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by ezetroc View Post
    Did the image flash ok but now I can't see the device after entering the adb devices command. I get "List of devices attached" but no device listed. Any Ideas?
    Home -> settings -> applications -> USB debugging on

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluciano001 View Post
    I rooted my phone as described above. I have removed the bloatware using Titanium Back Up that I don't want but I can't enable wifi tether or barnacle. On both I get an ad-hoc issue any help. This is my second droid device I have modded I had the incredible modded with cyanogen 7. Thanks.
    On my Stratosphere, Barnacle will work with WEP encryption and all. It throws an ad-hoc error but it still works fine.
    My 'droidz:
    Samsung Stratosphere (rooted, TweakStock 1.4), Motorola Devour (rooted, retired), Acer Iconia A500, Coby Kyros MID7022

I'm stuck here if anyone can help me >.<
    Quote Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
    I have everything all in one folder.
    I did: cd C:\MFF Downloads\heimdall-suite-1.3.1-win32\
    > Superuser.apk
    A bunch of stuff would pop up relating to it
    > heimdall detect
    invalid command blah blah blah.

However, I missed that I needed Android SDK, so I'm dl and installing that now. It seems to have an endless number of things it needs to additionally install as well so it's taking a while but hopefully with a fresh mind this will go much smoother than last night.

I got it detected now, I it took a little bit of everything, but now when I type the flash command...

C:\MFF Downloads\heimdall-suite-1.3.1-win32>heimdall flash --kernel root-zImage
    Heimdall v1.3.1, Copyright (c) 2010-2011, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
    Glass Echidna - Software down under.

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
    encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
    development please consider donating:
    Donate – Glass Echidna

Initialising connection...
    Detecting device...
    ERROR: Failed to access device. libusb error: -12

Hmmm?:\

Despite adding the directory in the Path under system variables, when I attempt "adb devices" I just get invalid command error.

Hey guys does anyone have a different link for the zip files...it seems as though the dev is out of bandwidth
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

Quote Originally Posted by pgeorghiou View Post
    Hey guys does anyone have a different link for the zip files...it seems as though the dev is out of bandwidth
    What the hell? I didn't see that my bandwidth would be limited there... jeesh.

I'll post a new link this weekend when I get a moment.

I'm having the same problem. If you could re-upload the root and kernel, that would be amazing!

Thanks!

Ok probably wrong spot to post but i ended up doing a factory reset cuz Verizon told me to to troubleahot my lost of 3G 4G. So now i lost clockwork recovery and don't have a computer atm to flash so i can restore to before the reset. So if anyone knows if our recovery could be flashed using Rom manager app its not listed now. Any help would be great thanks

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

This guide worked like a charm! Thanks!

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

any update on those links, really what to root this guy

I've been searching all over google for the two zip files Stratosphere Root.zip and Stock Kernel.zip that were originally on box.com but that is so far the only site I can find it uploaded to, and the bandwidth on the upload has run out. Does anyone currently have the two files on their computer and upload them somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by iRelyt View Post
    I've been searching all over google for the two zip files Stratosphere Root.zip and Stock Kernel.zip that were originally on box.com but that is so far the only site I can find it uploaded to, and the bandwidth on the upload has run out. Does anyone currently have the two files on their computer and upload them somewhere else?
    Try this post here, that's what I used: [KERNEL] [GUIDE] Root Your Stratosphere&#33; :-) - RootzWiki - Page 11
    Thanked by:

Aw man thanks I've been searching EVERYWHERE for these!

I am in the process of rooting but I cannot when I run the "list device", it does not show the phone as being listed. Any ideas? I am not very tech savy. Any help will be appreciated. I did sucessfully run the kernel though as the yellow caution sign flashed on the reboot.

I am trying to follow the rooting guide but I need some help. How do I access the IRC channel mentioned?

Edit: OK, I got it rooted, but I'd still like to know how to get on the IRC channel.
    Last edited by John728; 01-06-2012 at 09:31 PM.

I am very unfamiliar with rooting my android device and would love for someone to give a step by step walkthrough. I dont wanna mess with my fone and ruin it lol. I have Jailbroken my GF ipod before but thats about as far as that stuff goes.

Thanks to Knightcrusader for doing all the work. No offense, but some of it was hard to understand or misleading because I am a noob. I did some googling and was able to figure some stuff out on my own. I added noob instructions in red and included Knightcrusader's text so the whole thing is chronological. These are instructions for Windows XP. Some text was taken from
    How to root the Samsung Stratosphere in a few easy steps

Download the files first, to make rooting go faster:
    android-sdk_r12-windows.zip
    jdk-7u2-windows-i586.exe
    heimdall-suite-1.3.1-win32.zip
    vcredist_x86.exe from the above site
    Stratosphere Root.zip: md5: ead3a6a2b36a25a32692dec71e6bfc7f
    Stock Kernel.zip: md5: 97d8df7945b5035d480547424cbcaa35
    If you want to check the MD5 hashes to make sure the files you download are not corrupted, you also need to download a program to do that.

BACK UP YOUR PHONE. I backed up my contacts using Verizon's software - go to www.verizonwireless.com/backupassistant and using Google. I backed up all the files on the SD card by dragging them and dropping them on my computer. I made sure I read all the text messages and acted on them, since I don't know how to back up texts. I made sure all the browser bookmarks are on the computer also. I made note of all the apps and extensions I have.

Install ADB

First things first: Let's get your system set up to flash the kernel to the phone.

NOTE: If you have data encryption turned on, its been warned that you might want to turn it off before attempting this. Not sure if this is related to custom kernels or not, but better be safe than sorry. (And I think its off by default, mine wasn't on... so if you didn't turn it on, you should be fine.)

Download Heimdall 1.3.1 and extract the zip contents to a folder. Make sure to install the C++ distributable mentioned in the download section or the tool won't run (Windows only).

If you install in the root of your C: drive, it will be easier to type in commands later.

Make sure the phone is charged. Then unplug the phone from the charger or computer.

Put your phone in download mode. There are many ways to do this, easiest being holding the Vol - key while powering the phone on. It will warn you about flashing custom firmware, yadda yadda. Accept it anyway, then you'll see a green Andy that says "Download Mode Do Not Turn Off Target". Now plug your phone in. (Linux/Mac users can skip the rest of this paragraph. Yay us Windows users.)
    Those running on Windows must go to the Heimdall folder and navigate to Drivers. Now double click on zagig.exe and install all the needed drivers. When finished, disconnect the phone, restart the PC, and then re-connect the phone.

Next, unzip Stratosphere Root.zip to a working folder. To make things easier, just extract the zip contents to the same directory that heimdall is living in. You should have the following files from the zip:

root-zImage
    su
    busybox
    Superuser.apk

Open the Terminal (command prompt for Windows users: press Start + R buttons and then type cmd.exe, followed by a swift Enter key ) and navigate to the Heimdall folder.

To move up two levels, type
    cd.. (enter)
    cd.. (enter)

First make sure the device is detected. Type:

heimdall detect

If it works, you'll get 'Device detected'. Now you are good to go:

heimdall flash --kernel root-zImage

That's a capital "I" in image, it looks like a lower case "L" in the original instructions

You'll see it say uploading kernel, and a progress bar will appear on the phone. It goes pretty quick. On success, you'll see the phone reboot, and then a new yellow '!' triangle will flash under the SAMSUNG logo on the boot screen. This means the system detected a custom kernel. If you see/hear the boot animation, then you were successful! You are now sporting a working insecure kernel reading for rooting!

Wait for the phone to boot back up and make sure everything is in working order. Make sure USB Debugging is on. (Settings->Applications->Development)

Now, in the command window, make sure your phone can be seen:

type
    adb devices

List of devices attached
    3235A3CA0D8400EC device

now, remount the file system. Type
    adb remount

remount succeeded

Push the following files to the phone:

Now, type the following commands, each followed by an Enter key:
    adb push su /system/bin
    adb push busybox /system/bin
    adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
    adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox

Note- In the command window, you can't paste in text. To save time, you can hold down the right arrow to type what you typed above.

Unmount the phone from the compter (the green arrow in the taskbar). Unplug it from the computer.

Thatís it. The Stratosphere should now be rooted. Give it a swift reboot to celebrate the relationship.

Disable USB debugging on the phone by navigating to Settings-> Applications -> Development.

Now, download something from the market that needs root privileges to test. I bought Root Explorer, so I used that to test. I also tried to su from ConnectBot in a local connection and it also worked for me.
    Titanium backup is a free program I used.

If you get the Superuser Request popup, then you are rooted!! Congrats!
    Thanked by:
    killroy420 likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast