Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Default Re: [KERNEL] [GUIDE] Root Your Stratosphere! :-)

I want to root my stratosphere but am very afriad to do it bc i dont wanna brick it, i saw this post and feels it is complicated but saw another post on rootzwiki by icebear, its the same till you detect the device then he uses skyrocket and he said its easy root, i checked it out and i just have to click a file root.bat and it will automatically push su files, i wanted to know will the method actually work before trying it, ur the pro so thats y i asked u, this is my first smartphone and i dont wanna break it and if i do i wont hav a phone for nxt 2 years thats y plz help me
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickhamilton620 View Post
    Try this post here, that's what I used:
    I want to root my stratosphere but am very afriad to do it bc i dont wanna brick it, i saw this post and feels it is complicated but saw another post on rootzwiki by icebear, its the same till you detect the device then he uses skyrocket and he said its easy root, i checked it out and i just have to click a file root.bat and it will automatically push su files, i wanted to know will the method actually work before trying it, ur the pro so thats y i asked u, this is my first smartphone and i dont wanna break it and if i do i wont hav a phone for nxt 2 years thats y plz help me
    thanks

This guide worked like a charm! Thanks!
    did you use the guide given by icebear? and did it work? did u get root, i hav been trying to do it but i cannot get the skyrocket files and the drivers, can u give me a link to download it?

Try this post here, that's what I used:
    i cannot get the files for skyrocket root from that website, do u hav it?

can someone verify the post by icebear on rootzwiki> if it actually works or not

Quote Originally Posted by John728 View Post
    Thanks to Knightcrusader for doing all the work. No offense, but some of it was hard to understand or misleading because I am a noob. I did some googling and was able to figure some stuff out on my own. I added noob instructions in red and included Knightcrusader's text so the whole thing is chronological. These are instructions for Windows XP. Some text was taken from

Download the files first, to make rooting go faster:

vcredist_x86.exe from the above site
    : md5: ead3a6a2b36a25a32692dec71e6bfc7f
    : md5: 97d8df7945b5035d480547424cbcaa35
    If you want to check the MD5 hashes to make sure the files you download are not corrupted, you also need to download a program to do that.

BACK UP YOUR PHONE. I backed up my contacts using Verizon's software - go to and using Google. I backed up all the files on the SD card by dragging them and dropping them on my computer. I made sure I read all the text messages and acted on them, since I don't know how to back up texts. I made sure all the browser bookmarks are on the computer also. I made note of all the apps and extensions I have.

First things first: Let's get your system set up to flash the kernel to the phone.

NOTE: If you have data encryption turned on, its been warned that you might want to turn it off before attempting this. Not sure if this is related to custom kernels or not, but better be safe than sorry. (And I think its off by default, mine wasn't on... so if you didn't turn it on, you should be fine.)

Download Heimdall 1.3.1 and extract the zip contents to a folder. Make sure to install the C++ distributable mentioned in the download section or the tool won't run (Windows only).

If you install in the root of your C: drive, it will be easier to type in commands later.

Make sure the phone is charged. Then unplug the phone from the charger or computer.

Put your phone in download mode. There are many ways to do this, easiest being holding the Vol - key while powering the phone on. It will warn you about flashing custom firmware, yadda yadda. Accept it anyway, then you'll see a green Andy that says "Download Mode Do Not Turn Off Target". Now plug your phone in. (Linux/Mac users can skip the rest of this paragraph. Yay us Windows users.)
    Those running on Windows must go to the Heimdall folder and navigate to Drivers. Now double click on zagig.exe and install all the needed drivers. When finished, disconnect the phone, restart the PC, and then re-connect the phone.

Next, unzip Stratosphere Root.zip to a working folder. To make things easier, just extract the zip contents to the same directory that heimdall is living in. You should have the following files from the zip:

root-zImage
    su
    busybox
    Superuser.apk

Open the Terminal (command prompt for Windows users: press Start + R buttons and then type cmd.exe, followed by a swift Enter key ) and navigate to the Heimdall folder.

To move up two levels, type
    cd.. (enter)
    cd.. (enter)

First make sure the device is detected. Type:

heimdall detect

If it works, you'll get 'Device detected'. Now you are good to go:

heimdall flash --kernel root-zImage

That's a capital "I" in image, it looks like a lower case "L" in the original instructions

You'll see it say uploading kernel, and a progress bar will appear on the phone. It goes pretty quick. On success, you'll see the phone reboot, and then a new yellow '!' triangle will flash under the SAMSUNG logo on the boot screen. This means the system detected a custom kernel. If you see/hear the boot animation, then you were successful! You are now sporting a working insecure kernel reading for rooting!

Wait for the phone to boot back up and make sure everything is in working order. Make sure USB Debugging is on. (Settings->Applications->Development)

Now, in the command window, make sure your phone can be seen:

type
    adb devices

List of devices attached
    3235A3CA0D8400EC device

now, remount the file system. Type
    adb remount

remount succeeded

Push the following files to the phone:

Now, type the following commands, each followed by an Enter key:
    adb push su /system/bin
    adb push busybox /system/bin
    adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
    adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox

Note- In the command window, you can't paste in text. To save time, you can hold down the right arrow to type what you typed above.

Unmount the phone from the compter (the green arrow in the taskbar). Unplug it from the computer.

Thatís it. The Stratosphere should now be rooted. Give it a swift reboot to celebrate the relationship.

Disable USB debugging on the phone by navigating to Settings-> Applications -> Development.

Now, download something from the market that needs root privileges to test. I bought Root Explorer, so I used that to test. I also tried to su from ConnectBot in a local connection and it also worked for me.
    Titanium backup is a free program I used.

If you get the Superuser Request popup, then you are rooted!! Congrats!
    Did you try using the method described by icebear? after installing a custom kernel, is it possible to push su files by oneclick root? do u knw about this or will this work if i do this?
    thanks and any help is greatly appreciated

Make sure you have the drivers in heimdall set to "serial gadget", (there is a drop down menu). Flash the kernel. If you have the latest superoneclick, I think it's 2.3.3, You can use it to root the phone. It worked for me just fine. But you have to flash the custom kernel first. Take your time, and follow the instructions. I found the latest superoneclick files on the xda forums. Good luck.

I had rooted successfully, except wifi refused to scan. I read that I just needed to reflash the kernel, so I wiped data and reflashed. Still no working wifi, and it refuses to run google apps off the SD card, saying that "Application is not installed on your phone."

Any ideas what I can do? I'll deal with the wifi not working if I can just get my apps back..

For another take on rooting the stratosphere, check out .
    "Knowledge is power. Ignorance is bliss. Sanity is the fine line in between." - Anonymous

Hopefully you did a backup. if not, flash the stock kernel.The link is there with the modded kernel. Wow, hate to hear about the issues.

I get an error message saying that Box.net is out of bandwidth.

Where else can the Stratosphere root.zip be downloaded from?

Thanks!!

I want to thank those who tried Z4 and posted on here. You saved me the trouble of messing up. I do have a question but first is that I have rooted my Samsung Stratosphere following Knightcrusader's post.

Having trouble in two issues of it. First is Busybox will not install. Second is sometimes when I run root apps it makes me have to reboot in order to get root access again. Something isn't right if it won't stay rooted without rebooting isn't there?

Will rooting my phone allow me to change my IMEI #?
    I want to unlock my phone so I can switch carriers.
    Carriers blacklist the phone using the IMEI # (and also track you if ur greylisted)
    Does anyone know where the IMEI data is stored? on a chip that must be flashed?
    What is the difference between "unlocking" and "rooting"?

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Quote Originally Posted by w.smith_1984 View Post
    Will rooting my phone allow me to change my IMEI #?
    I want to unlock my phone so I can switch carriers.
    Carriers blacklist the phone using the IMEI # (and also track you if ur greylisted)
    Does anyone know where the IMEI data is stored? on a chip that must be flashed?
    What is the difference between "unlocking" and "rooting"?
    No, just rooting your phone will not allow you to change the IMEI in the phone, rooting allows "superuser" access to the filesystem which is different than these settings.

There is no real "unlocking" with CDMA phones, they are hard coded to a specific carrier, although some phone can be used on other networks with varying success (sometimes voice only, sometimes texting, sometimes data to varying degree), but it largely depends on if the phone is used by multiple carriers or not (ie. the Motorola Razor was used by everyone, and as long as the radios were compatible they were flashable to another carrier), but the Stratosphere has never been used by any other carrier so it is not likely it will be able to be fully utilized on any other carrier.

On there was some discussion on changing this device to another carrier, but because it is locked and SIM based, they tried for a while and eventually just gave up

ROM
    EI2Tweakstock/tweaked 2.2

will rooting get all this bs bloat off of my phone?!!

ROM
    AOKP / Franco Kernel

Rooting won't, but installing a custom de-bloated ROM will, and that requires root.

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.

ROM
    EI2Tweakstock/tweaked 2.2

What options on Roms are there for this phone?

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Quote Originally Posted by smegal1215 View Post
    will rooting get all this bs bloat off of my phone?!!
    Not rooting in itself, bur it gives you the ability to debloat with utilities like titanium backup or ultimate backup and either freeze or uninstall the bloat. Of course, installing a ROM like Tweaked 2.2 is the easier way and much nicer in the long run, just remember to make a nandriod after installing custom recovery but before rooting.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums
    Current Phones: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk Official KitKat ROM) / LG G2 on Verizon (Stock KitKat/rooted)
    Current Tablets: Apple iPad 4 & Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
    Previous Android Devices: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

I rooted exactly as said here, and once I did, I stopped getting signal. What happened? I used to get 3 bars where I am now. I can get nothing anymore.

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Quote Originally Posted by Finyon View Post
    I rooted exactly as said here, and once I did, I stopped getting signal. What happened? I used to get 3 bars where I am now. I can get nothing anymore.
    Are you still getting service, just no indications (bars)? If so, then you already had the FF1 update installed on your phone, this rooting method replaces the kernel with an EI2 kernel, when mated with a FF1 ROM the signal strength indication gets broken not the actual signal (although sometimes WiFi gets broken). You need to flash in the FF1 kernel from this post:
    Current Phones: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk Official KitKat ROM) / LG G2 on Verizon (Stock KitKat/rooted)
    Current Tablets: Apple iPad 4 & Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
    Previous Android Devices: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

Ok so I followed this guide and got my Stratosphere rooted thankfully but now I have run into another problem. After finishing the process I have run into the problem that everything works except my WI-FI. I am happy that everything is working as expected all except my wifi. I have searched and found various answers but if anyone could help I would be greatly thankful.

My phone shows these under settings;
    Firmware
    Baseband version
    I405.05 v.ff1
    SCH-I405.ff1

Kernel version
    2.6.35.7-e12

Build number SCH-I405.FF1

Looks like there is a mismatch between some of these numbers. Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nevermind I got it fixed. Flashed CWM to my phone and installed customized stock ff1 ROM from rootzwiki and that fixed everything. Downloaded titanium backup and removed quite a bit of verizon bloatware crap. So much nicer to not have to look at all that installed garbage on my phone. Definitely seems faster but only time will tell when I get all my apps back to where I was before.

does this work with Samsung Stratosphere... I choose the 'update.zip' for update and it says "no space on device"

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehorn View Post
    does this work with Samsung Stratosphere... I choose the 'update.zip' for update and it says "no space on device"
    I am not sure I understand the question or issue here... What are you trying to update? Could you give some details here?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

There's an easier way to do this. You can download Framaroot. I've tried it and it worked perfectly. You can try Googling it, I don't remember the link I used, but it's become a popular method.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123