Stratosphere loves wi-fi.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I watched the mobile burn video review and apparently the stratosphere likes to connect to Wi-Fi as much as possible, even popping up a box when you launch a data heavy app. Another review noticed this feature, yet others didn't make a mention of it.

It's great if your on a tiered plan but if you're on a unlimited plan that can be a nuisance. If i recall correctly from the video you can disable this in Wi-Fi settings.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? What do you think, good idea or bad? :)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

jbmilman

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I personally do not enjoy it at all. I keep my wifi on mostly just so I dont see that message. From what I can tell it only pops up once and you can say "never again" per app, but it dosnt seem to work very well.

I am quite sure that that feature and the fully charged notification will be one of the first things dev's remove on this phone.

Reactions: rickhamilton620

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
This Wifi setting is for those without unlimited data and I for one think it's a good idea for them, but can get annoying when you're at the courthouse bailing a friend out and it keeps asking you to connect the the court's secured Wifi.

KnightCrusader

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Under "wireless & networks"-> "wi-fi settings" you can turn off "notify me" (when launching high data usage application, scan for nearby wifi networks and notify me when available) so no big deal.

I have the option turned off.... and it still annoys me. My 4G is faster than my WiFi and I have unlimited data grandfathered.

I agree it is a nice feature for the tiered people, but for me, its got to go. This is the first thing I am going to try to pull/replace once I get started on ROM development.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the option turned off.... and it still annoys me. My 4G is faster than my WiFi and I have unlimited data grandfathered.

I agree it is a nice feature for the tiered people, but for me, its got to go. This is the first thing I am going to try to pull/replace once I get started on ROM development.

So your saying it still notifies even with the checkbox turned off...gah that'll be annoying.

ShadowAlpha

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the wifi popups and tends to be annoying - however I do not have an unlimited plan - I have wifi off but the notify me is checked.

from what I'm reading here - if I am launching a data heavy app I want it to connect to wifi? this will save my data usage on phone plan?

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the wifi popups and tends to be annoying - however I do not have an unlimited plan - I have wifi off but the notify me is checked.

from what I'm reading here - if I am launching a data heavy app I want it to connect to wifi? this will save my data usage on phone plan?

Correct, wi-fi doesn't count against your data cap.

Reactions: ShadowAlpha

KnightCrusader

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
So your saying it still notifies even with the checkbox turned off...gah that'll be annoying.

I figured out why it seems to be "ignoring" my preference to shut it off. It remembers the apps you tell it to not ask again... that is, until you turn your wifi on again for any reason. Once you turn wifi on, it clears this preference. Next time you use the same app on 3G/4G, it will ask again.

If there is ONE thing that is pushing me to get CWM on this phone, its to make it possible to have a ROM out there that will REMOVE this POS from my phone! </rant>

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I figured out why it seems to be "ignoring" my preference to shut it off. It remembers the apps you tell it to not ask again... that is, until you turn your wifi on again for any reason. Once you turn wifi on, it clears this preference. Next time you use the same app on 3G/4G, it will ask again.

If there is ONE thing that is pushing me to get CWM on this phone, its to make it possible to have a ROM out there that will REMOVE this POS from my phone! </rant>

Ahh, oddly that's been hit or miss for me, I put a wi-fi toggle switch on my home screen and haven't been bothered by it except for a few times.

I do agree that it'll be nice to get a ROM that doesn't have this in it entirely! Welcome back btw! :)

djphrost1

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site

KC,
I have the same headache with my strat! It constantly notifies me of available networks, which normally my 4G is much faster than my wifi as well. LOL I am definitely supporting your efforts for some custom ROM love. :)
-DJ Phrost

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Yeah that is annoying as heck. I have this happening to me a lot, especially this morning with the Verizon data outage nationwide. When I had nothing, I used WiFi. Then when I was done, I turned the WiFi off. When I got 3G coverage back I decided to check something but then got the stupid "Do you want to use WiFi?" popup.

Ummm... no! I said not to pop up again for a reason, you stupid box!!!! lol

But yes, this has got to be fixed. It's as annoying as when Win Vista came out and you got asked if you wanted to do something, and then another box pops up with that UTC control and asks if you want to do what you were just asked you wanted to do. So freaking annoying!!!

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I traced the intent using logcat. It's coming from the android system itself.

android/com.android.server.wifi_offload.AppRunnOverWifiDialog

Apparently that lives in framework-res.apk. Will try to run that by apktool and see if I can decompile it.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I just got an internet bump to 20meg yesterday so my LTE and home wifi are on par with one another. That said, no matter what I do I'm getting one of 3 different invasive and intrusive alerts begging me to use wifi. I'm hoping a ROM dev will take care of this soon.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I just got an internet bump to 20meg yesterday so my LTE and home wifi are on par with one another. That said, no matter what I do I'm getting one of 3 different invasive and intrusive alerts begging me to use wifi. I'm hoping a ROM dev will take care of this soon.

Same here, its seemingly random too, that's the somewhat funny part.

theron82

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Settings
Wi fi settings
disable auto connect and notify me

Also when that pops up if you click never remind me for this site it will help alleviate the issue.

theron82

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
My apologies, I am new to the forum and did not notice the same answer I gave. I see it now.
Thanks all for the useful tips throughout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs