Stratosphere & Cox email

redsnappa1

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
HELP!

OK, I admit I'm a dinosaur but...

I purchased a new Stratosphere last week, Verizon, if that's important, and neither the seller (not a Verizon store), Verizon store techies, nor I could establish my ISP (Cox) email addys on the phone. The only way the Verizon techies, in collaboration with Cox techies, could set up the phone to receive (haven't tried to send yet) my Cox.net emails was with an app called K-9 Mail which definitely does not work as smoothly has my hated Blackberry Storm 2, which had no setup issues. Note that the Verizon techies were not hesitant to say that this problem was a bear to deal with on Droid (is that what I have?) phones & Cox.net addys.

So..., does anyone have a suggestion that would allow me to set up my Cox.net addys via the Stratosphere's operating system?

I definitely thank you all in advance for any assistance you may offer.

Ride safe,

redsnappa1

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Should just be able to do it over POP with any regular (non-Gmail) e-mail app.

My suggestion, though, is to have gmail start pulling in your cox mail, then use the gmail app on your phone. It's what I do for my old legacy cox account. (And my wife's, too.)

Reactions: redsnappa1

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Agree, you can do Cox via POP. Look here for the settings:

Email Server Names (POP3 and SMTP)

Make sure you use that secure settings. Use that only if you are absolutely attached to using Cox as your email. Otherwise just do as Phil suggests and check the cox account with gmail, or do as I do and just forward your cox account to gmail to cut it out of the picture entirely. You could still add your cox account to gmail so that you can send as your cox email.

redsnappa1

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
JonK,

The mobile settings described in the link are those that were used. We keep getting an error message that user name and password were not correct, however those were also verified. Will try again. Any other suggestions?

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
My GF has this exact problem with her Droid 2 Global when using wifi. Over 3G her email (Yahoo) works wonderfully, but when connected to wifi she gets the 'username and/or password incorrect' error. Nobody can figure it out.

redsnappa1

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Phil,

If the "built-in" email system is the email app to which you refer, I get an error code each time as do the Verizon techies.

I did take your suggestion and set up my cox.net email to be forwarded to my phone gmail account. Far easier to do than I ever imagined. I expect to be leaving it set up this way. THANK YOU!!!

paul

redsnappa1

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
JonK,

I have verified the email settings on the Stratosphere as described in the link. I still get the error code. I have set up my cox.net emails to be forwarded to my gmail as Phil suggested and I think I will let the issue originally described go away. Thanks for all your suggestions.

paul

redsnappa1

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Dubbman,

Cannot set up my cox.net email with the Stratosphere's email app on or off wi-fi nor on or off G3 or G4.

Thanks for the suggestion.

paul

Lpetruc

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Dubbman,

Cannot set up my cox.net email with the Stratosphere's email app on or off wi-fi nor on or off G3 or G4.

Thanks for the suggestion.

paul

I having the same issue. SSL on/off, port 465 or 995. back and forth, different combos and nothing works on my Verizon Stratosphere.

so, I dont have a Gmail account. I'll sign up for one because I need mobile access to my cox mail accounts (business emaill addresses for many years) ......... how easy is this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers