Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Weird battery charging issues

I have also been having battery charging issues. The only way I can get my Stratosphere to charge is to turn off the phone first. Kind of a pain since since I could miss a phone call, but it is the only way I can get it to charge.

Something odd about the USB cable that ships with the phone. I discovered that I had to use both the charger AND cable that came with it. My other USB cables charge the phone fine off the USB port on my computer or a car adapter and they charge other phones off of wall chargers. FYI I did find a generic wall charger at Walmart that charges the strat properly but it specifically listed Stratosphere on the packaging.

i have same problem. sure would like to see a solution posted by verizon or samsung!

Have you tried charging your phone when it's off? I always turn my phone off at night when it's charging. Why leave it on?

I have been having the same problem. Sometimes I will have the phone plugged into the charger for several hours, and as soon as it is unplugged it will show low battery as if I had never charged it.
    But just recently its developed a new problem. Since I usually charge my phone all day while at work, I do not charge it overnight. Last week I when I woke up I found that my phone had shut itself off during the night, but the battery hadn't been especially low before I went to sleep. I thought it was a fluke but it happened again last night. Only I remember specifically looking at my phone and seeing a FULL 100% charge (icon was completely blue) just before going to sleep. I woke up 6 hours later and it had turned itself off. When I powered it back up, the icon was blinking red as in 0% battery! That's pretty unacceptable in my opinion.

I've also experienced battery issues directly related The type of charger i use. There is no pattern I can see but juat wanted to add my to senseĘ

Similar problems here. I have a car charger from Verizon, and a desk charger from Samsung. Lately, it appears that the Stratosphere is charging when in the desk top craddle, but when I remove the phone from it, the battery icon says it is still charging. When I look at the system staus on the phone it tells me it is charging by USB even though I don't have it on the charger. I have pulled the battery a few times and that seems to help for a while. Then same problem repeats itself.

I am having the same issues as everyone else. I got the phone last Tuesday, thought it was an issue with the phone so took it into the Verizon store and they replaced it. That was yesterday. The new one is now dead and doing the same thing. Won't charge at all. I'm going to try removing the battery like some suggested and see if it resets. Just wanted you all to know how the number of us is growing. Something needs to be done.

I have had my stratosphere for a few months now. A while after I got it, my dog chewed the charger that it came with. I have been using an old charger for a different phone and have been for a while now. I found that it was working fine until a few days ago. The charger would only work sometimes and my phone would die while charging. I decided to make this account because many of you are having the same problem as me. Tonight I was charging my phone and when I went to use it (while it was still charging) I noticed it had turned off,and I though I might have accedently done it. As I tried to turn it on, it would'nt and the big battery wasn't on the screen. I adjusted the charger to make sure it was in the phone and in the wall properly which it was. I tried taking out the battery like some of you had suggested but it didn't work for me. I ran out to the kitchen where my dads phone charger was and grabbed that to see if it was just my charger. After I tried that I found that it didn't work either. I tried removing the battery again and let it sit out for a bit while i was reading other peoples tips. It was out for about 5 minutes when i put it back in. I let it sit without the charger for another minute and when I put the charger back in, it seemed to be fixed. But, when i tried turning it on, it would only go to the "samsung" screen and then go black. I tried this a couple of times until it finally worked. Now it seemes to be charging fine...lets hope it stays this way and will be fully charged in the morning. I have also found out if you turn it off during the night while charging it holds charge better than if you leave it on. I hope this problem gets fixed as I don't want to buy another phone!

Global Posts
    979 Global Posts

Just get a new charger that is the proper output for the phone.

I mean, it sounds like the charger you are using is not putting out the proper amperage. That is why the phone keeps turning off as you say. It is the battery falling into a safe mode where the device powers itself off.

Think of it this way, the phone needs to charge at a minimum of 1.0 amps at 5 volts, but the charger you are using is probably only rated at 0.7 amps at 5 volts. That lack of 0.3 amps is significant enough to draw the battery down faster than the charger can fill the battery up.

If the device is off while charging, you should be able to top it up as there is no draw from the phone to deplete the battery.

Also, if the battery is fully discharged, you will not be able to turn it on until it charges to something like 5 or so percent. This is most likely the cause for the non-responsive screen. The battery indicator on the screen when the device is off and plugged in will show a red bar instead of green.

If you continue to charge with a lower amp charger, it could damage the battery due to depleting it so often. Li-ion batteries only have a limited number of charge/deplete cycles.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I have a Samsung Droid. I have 2 replacement batteries and several charger cables, including the originals when I purchased the phone. Everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago when any combination I utilized would not let the phone charge when it is "ON". If I turn the phone "OFF" and use any cable or any battery, it will charge. Verizon instructed me to do a hard re-set which was a pain in the **** because I lost all my apps. The problem is still not resolved. The only way to charge the phone is to turn it "OFF"

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Quote Originally Posted by NKyAdventurer View Post
    I have a Samsung Droid. I have 2 replacement batteries and several charger cables, including the originals when I purchased the phone. Everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago when any combination I utilized would not let the phone charge when it is "ON". If I turn the phone "OFF" and use any cable or any battery, it will charge. Verizon instructed me to do a hard re-set which was a pain in the **** because I lost all my apps. The problem is still not resolved. The only way to charge the phone is to turn it "OFF"
    Most charging issues I have seen with the Stratosphere are charger related, you must use a charger with an output rating of at least 1A (1000mA) or the phone will not charge properly. I tried to use an LG charger rated at 700mA and had EXACTLY the issue you are describing with it only charging when turned off, yet using the stock Samsung charger (rated at 1000mA) would charge the phone on or off. All that said, if you have several chargers and all are doing the same thing, you probably have a defective device and if you continue to have issues you should consider getting a warranty replacement from VZW.

I've been having this battery charging problem too off and on for the past 2-3 months. I had it for 4 months and it worked perfectly before it started getting all wonky on me. I use the charger/cord/whatever that came with the phone. What has worked for me so far is if I take the battery out for awhile, as has already been suggested, and then replace it. But even then, there's been the odd occasion when I have to do that a few times before it will start recharging for me. The charging issue doesn't happen everytime - but often enough for it to be a pain in the ****.

So, the question is - should I return it and get it replaced (I've only had it for 7 months now) or will it keep happening anyway with the replacement anyway? It sounds like some of you have had a problem with your replacement phones? Even if I were to do a hard re-set, would I still have the same issues? For those of you who have done so, have you continued to have problems with charging?

My mom had this problem when she got my sister's phone. She was trying all the chargers we have, my sisters's old Blackberry chargers and my Sony Ericsson charger. She found a Motorola charger my sister's friend left and it worked. I'd suggest trying a Motorola charger that you or your friend may have lying around and see how that works out.

I have similar charging problems, but the problem with mine is that I have to wiggle my charger for the phone to catch it, and even then, it won't always catch the charger and it charges so slow. Plus, when it does have a full battery, and I'm heavy on using my phone for listening to music CONSTANTLY and being on the internet or chatting with friends, my phone drains now after barely 4 hours when just two months ago I could go almost the whole day without plugging it in. What's wrong here?

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

This sounds like a couple issues... first thing I would try is a new charger&cable and see if your is defective, if it is then problem #1 solved, if the charging issues continue clean the USB port as best you can with air and if it still continues might be time for a CLNR. A quick stop in the VZW store can probably verify the charger issue, and they have a spare battery you can try just in case (but I doubt that is the issue).

The draining issue is probably related to rogue app holding the wake lock or something, install GSam Battery Monitor and it should tell you what is draining the battery.

Also, are you on the FF1 ROM now, if so did you do a factory default after receiving it? This often clears up odd issues.
    Current Phones: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk Official KitKat ROM) / LG G2 on Verizon (Stock KitKat/rooted)
    Current Tablets: Apple iPad 4 & Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
    Previous Android Devices: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

I have had all of the problems listed in previous comments (phone not recognizing that charger is connected, saying 100% charged immediately upon connection, looking like it is charging but no charge when disconnected after several hours....) too.

In my case I know the cables worked because they work just fine on somebody else's identical model, and I had the exact same problem using their cord.

I cleaned the USB port connection etc., but finally had to get Verizon to send me a new phone because mine totally stopped charging.

It wasn't a battery issue, either, as I have the same battery in the new phone and it charges just fine.

In my case removing battery and re-inserting didn't work, except coincidentally.

From the number of comments I see here, it looke to me like there may have been a manufacturing/material quality issue.

i notice that folks dont specify if they have the 1st generation strat or the strat 2. is this issue common to both phones or it a series-specific isseue ?

The issues sound very similiar to the charing problems that I started experiencing several months ago with my 10 month old Samsung Stratosphere. It started as a nuisance, but now is making the phone unusable and I'm having trouble replicating it at the Verizon store. I plug in the phone at night when the charge level is 10 - 15%. The system shows that its charging, but it will only charge to a certain level (last night it was 25%). The phone then stops charging even though it shows normal charging and it slowly loses its charge overnight. In the morning it shows a fully charged battery, but as soon as I unplug it from the wall charger, it says that the battery is critically low. There is more to this than just bad cables. The car charger seems to work fine, but it takes a looong time to charge. The Verizon store is justificably skeptical as it doesn't make a lot of sense - but after trying EVERYTHING (i'm an engineer - I've tried every combination of batteries, chargers, etc) I need to push for a new phone before the warrenty expires.

My phone is less than a year old
    But at one in December( now five months ago) I had problems charging it. Sometimes it would charge, other times it wouldn't. There was no change to the pone, the charger or the outlet while the phone either was charging or lying on my night table. After a hard reset, that seemed to fix the problem. But as of about April I will say (now two months ago) my phone is running into the same problem. I thought I had found a solution by keeping tension on the wire, and when that stopped working I found that having the charger physically at a different angle as I put it into my phone was the best way. Until recently (all of a few hours ago) when this stopped. I have taken the battery out. I have tried other chargers. I know that my chargers are not the problem as they charge other phones in my household.
    This phone is less than a year old and I have been to a verizon store with it about 4 times in 3 monthes. If anyone has any helpful insight it would be much appreciated

I I have the Samsung Stratsphere 2 . I bought in November 2012 and had charging problems and phone suddenly shutting off for no. reason. I called My carrier wasted my time on phone spoke to atleast 4 different technical support, let them know many posts that others are experiencing exact problem,and they all said never had any complaints. I finally went to verizon store. They tested my charger and said it was fine they tested my battery and said it was fine. They decided to replace phone so by mail in month of January 2013 it was replaced with a refurbished phone in perfect condition,which pissed me off,but what to do. Phone worked great until April and now problem have begun again. I am going to call and get it replaced again,before it won't charge at all. Which does happen. This has to be a software glitch.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

I got a new Stratosphere when it first came out and it worked great for about six months when I started having battery problems. They sent me a new battery but I stubbornly continued to use the old one, hoping I could fix the problem. After a year I put in the new battery and it was fine until I started deleting things on my phone without really knowing what I was doing. My phone was never the same and they sent me a new (refurbished) phone. After a few months, same battery problem. Verizon said to make sure you let battery fully discharge (phone die) every time. I tried that it worked like a charm! Phone charged beautifully and I was getting 18+ hours on a charge! I got lazy and stubborn and went back to my old ways (not letting phone battery fully discharge) and back to old problem. So I started letting it fully discharge and although it says 100% in the morning, when I unplug it, it says battery critically low. Sigh. HOWEVER, I bought a Mophie charger and it works beautifully fully charging the phone! That's my answer to this darn problem!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Android Central Forums

I just back from the Verizon store and they refuse to believe that this Samsung Stratosphere charging issue exists. All they could offer me was the opportunity to buy a new phone. No loaner while I sent my dead Stratosphere away for analysis, and no exchange because my warranty had just run out. How convenient. This is a chronic, well-documented problem now and Verizon and Samsung should step up and stand behind their product and customers.
    This is almost at scam level now. I am going to continue to try and get some resolution to my immediate problem, but the issue is bigger than that.

We also have the same battery problem. We have purchased several chargers, several batteries, and even replaced the phone with a "like new" replacement. We turn the phone off when we plug it in at night. The next day it says full charge, but with hardly any usage at all, it's drained. Verizon is no help at all. And I can't believe after reading 2 pages of messages, that no one has come up with an answer for us.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12