Steps needed to return rooted handset?

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
With me posting, you can only guess why I'm pretty much going to beg Amazon to extend my return offer by 3 days. Here's what happened this time.

Phone's been stable for weeks. Surprisingly so. I've been checking the recent apps window to see if there's apps remaining in the list over a period of time and they are, much to my satisfaction. I consider the worst to be over and begin plans to root.

I root either yesterday or the day before, to install TouchWiz 4.5 launcher. I do so successfully.

I install a bunch of apps, use some of the new widgets and take the time to link all my contacts to the integrated facebook (contact photos and details filling are important) and begin to get full warm reboots (the phone shuts off completely this time round and reboots from the Samsung logo/verizon screens/chime) I assume its a bad app and/or TouchWiz 4.5 so I uninstall a few apps and delete the internal TouchWiz 3.x Facebook account. Still doing it.

I use the phone's settings menu to wipe the phone clean and start fresh. TouchWiz 4.5's still on the device (i stupidly chose to install it into \system\app for extra functionality...apparently stuff here stays between phone based device restore) but inactive (as far as I can tell anyway just looking at the phone's UI) as I chose the standard Stratosphere TouchWiz 3.x launcher at the first boot and am using the same widgets I've used before the TW 4.5 install.

This seems to stabilize the phone until just a few minutes ago. it's chilling plugged into my computer IN USB mass storage mode as I'm about to sync music to it. Out of nowhere the screen lights up and turns dark...i try touching the screen, pushing the power button, fiddling with the slider..nothing. Immediately I think...bricked?! Then it does those warm reboots i was experiencing the first time round (no logo/splash screens/sound) and returns straight to the USB Mass Storage mode screen. I see media scanner running, the "no signal" indicator, and the recent apps menu empty...signs of a reboot.

I love this phone, honest. Typing on it's a pleasure, the screen = out of this world, and I love TouchWiz as a user experience, but having to constantly worry about whether the smallest app will set this thing into a reboot tailspin is disappointing. This phone (at least my examples) are seriously finicky about what apps it likes. For weeks after getting this replacement, which also rebooted for like a week or two before settling down into a peaceful lull, I didn't touch the homescreen icon and widget layout in fear that I'd set the boat a rocking. :(

tl;dr: phone begins rebooting again after a few weeks of peace (Even when hammering the thing) and removing apps and restoring the phone doesn't solve.

Now, enough of the back story...onto the question: I rooted my phone literally yesterday and installed TW4.5 as well. Is there any way to bring it back to it's stock unrooted form without TW 4.5 using odin or heimdall?

Thanks guys,

Richard.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Managed to remove TW 4.5, phew!

Edit 2: Durr, this thread is what happens when you freak out at 2 am after seeing your phone reboot. Directions to unroot the phone were easily found. Sorry and thanks for putting up with me! :p

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34