keyboard display

drclovis

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The on screen keypad goes away quickly...about 1 or 2 sec after it comes up. The display is going to sleep. This is irritating when I need to enter numbers during interaction with an automated system over the phone. How do I make the keypad stay on screen longer? I've changed the screen sleep to 1 minute in the energy saver, but that doesn't help.

redwizard69

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
On mine, as soon as I move it away from my ear, the proximity sensor turns the screen back on....so the keypad then becomes visible again. When I put it on speaker it stays on 30 sec. Thats the stock setting..

MofoMan2000

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The kaypad timeout refers to the amount of time the physical keyboard stays lit.

The problem you're having is because when you're typing on the phone keypad, something is moving in front of the proximity sensor, making the phone think it's up by your ear again. Probably your thumb. Just make sure when you're trying to use the automated systems that you're not putting your thumb near the top right corner of your phone (to the right of the speaker).

pmwong

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
In my cheap android phone I-Touch HD88+, there is a setting called "Als_ps calibration". I used it to correct this problem.

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
On mine, as soon as I move it away from my ear, the proximity sensor turns the screen back on....so the keypad then becomes visible again. When I put it on speaker it stays on 30 sec. Thats the stock setting..
That's my experience too. The stock setting of 30 seconds to darkness when on speaker makes approximately 0 sense to me. The whole point of putting it on speaker is that either (a) I'm going to lay it down and not touch it, so no danger of accidentally hitting a key, or (b) I'm going to be using the dial pad to enter information as I "dialogue" with a computer somewhere. In the first case, I don't need the screen off (except to save battery, in which case let me configure the timeout!), and in the second I definitely need the screen on. It's one of those really annoying little bits of smartphone overthinking, or underthinking, IMO.

jrh4054

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The phone is designed so that the screen goes blank when it's against your face. As soon as you pull it away, the screen lights again.