Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question software update after root?

has anyone out there applied the software update to a rooted stratosphere? does it need to be re-rooted afterwards? if you deleted a bunch of bloatware, does the update reinstall that crap?

i really only want the update for the google talk with video... anyone know of a way to get this without the update?

also... is there a way to stop the annoying popup notification about the software update? it is incessant.

thanks

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

Default Re: software update after root?

Ok never use offi ial firmware after root its mostlikely goingbto remove root or worse do that as well as brick your device

inspire aokp ice cold sandwich rom

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

And its called a gapps file Google apps look up which one is rite for your phone and flash them

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM

Global Posts
    1,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

The update will not install if every file from the original ROM is not in place, it will download then reboot into the bootloader (you are rooted so I will assume CWM Recovery) and it will fail. Even if you re-install the stock bootloader, if you have removed any file at all from the original ROM, the update will just fail. If you are completely stock, but rooted, meaning you returned the stock bootloader and didn't remove any files in the ROM the update would go through but you would loose root and have to do the procedure again. This firmware (FF1) is rootable using the same methods as previous versions.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

a followup question... i am rooted, removed some files, added superuser, but never did CWM recovery or any mods. is it worth it to add that now? i assume the inspire aokp ice cold sandwich rom is an alternative mod to cwm recovery... is that right?

if i install one of these mods now, will it wipe my device and settings?

thanks for you help!

Global Posts
    1,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

I am not familiar with that ROM... but do NOT try to use any ROM on the Stratosphere that is not specifically designed for it, it will not work. The Stratosphere uses very unique radios that are not like any other Samsung device and they are tightly tied to their specific kernels (for example, IE2 radios only work properly with an EI2 kernel). There is no functional AOSP/AOKP/CM/MIUI ROM for the Stratosphere and likely never will be due to it's design and lack of full radio support.

BTW, the update is generally considered to be a "downgrade" to the device, most people who load it have had more connection issues and worse battery life and some features are removed. You are best off to leave it as is and wait for the Tweaked ROM by Dwitherell to be updated to the new firmware, I would expect it within the next couple weeks.

There is also a FF1-based Full Deodexed Rooted Stock ROM on RootzWiki, people seem to have very good luck with it, just make sure to follow the directions exactly and flash the proper modem updates and kernel.

Remember, once you go to any FF1 update, there is no going back... there has never been (and likely never will be) a full ODIN image of the EI2 firmware to return too. The FF1 firmware patches the current modems and there is no return.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

Yea its modes for my chip set (snap dragon Gen 2 scorpion chip set) and what clockwork simply is is a custom recovery image when you reboot into recovery its there to do system tools wipe caches flash rooms that type of thing you get it out of rom manager aokp is android open Lang project but only get rooms and builds specific to your device unless you want a paper weight (bricked) RESEARCH IS EVERYTHING BRO

Global Posts
    1,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

Oh, I see what you are saying... I don't know if it would be suitable substitute to CWM, the CWM Recovery used on the Stratosphere had to be modified specifically for this device and ROM Manager has been known to have minor to bricking issues on this device, every dev will tell you to avoid it with this device. Tread lightly is my only advice!

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

^^^ agreed

Confirmation on the brick. I rooted my fater-in-laws stratosphere so he could wifi tether. He applied the latest update after I warned him not to, now it won't boot. Time to research how to fix it... :-(

Global Posts
    1,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

Quote Originally Posted by Friedhd View Post
    Confirmation on the brick. I rooted my fater-in-laws stratosphere so he could wifi tether. He applied the latest update after I warned him not to, now it won't boot. Time to research how to fix it... :-(
    Should not be bricked... it is very difficult to truly brick this phone. If it was rooted with CWM Recovery (the typical way of rooting the Strat), then the update should have just failed and then rebooted back to operating status (it would have failed the the checks, thus not made any changes). If it somehow passed all the checks and installed the update, it should be working, just without root.

If you can boot into CWM Recovery, you should be able to just flash the FF1 Deodexed Rooted ROM on RootzWiki, or Tweaked or something.

You're right, wasn't really bricked. I reloaded the original image using the bootloader, then when it booted, I was able to successfully installed FF1 update. I was able to root again with no problem. Now I have reinstalled Wi-fi tether and it works great as a hotspot, but I am unable to connect to any other wifi! Weird, but wifi gives an error when I turn it on.

What error message does it give? I don't know anything about rooting, but this update is notorious for degrading WiFi connectivity. Most people report that the connection just quits working after awhile, but not an error message. If you're getting an error message, I wonder if it might provide a clue to the general WiFi issues.

Here's how I temporarily fixed the FF1 data and Wi-Fi problem while we wait for a real fix from Samsung and Verizon:
    How I (seriously) fixed FF1 data problem! - Stratosphere - RootzWiki