1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    4.1.1 JB OTA Stock

Default Stratosphere 2?

Anyone hear any new news on the release date of the Stratosphere 2?

It was rumored to be coming by the end of September, but that obviously hasn't happened.

My wife is due for an upgrade, and wants to stay with a keyboard phone.............so it's either the Droid 4 or the Stratosphere (2 hopefully).

Steve
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (me)
    Samsung Stratosphere 2 (wife)
    Apple Iphone 5 (daughter).....trying to convert her

Default Re: Stratosphere 2?

I've got the same need for information. My Droid2 Global is due for retirement. Any updates on the Stratosphere2 would be appreciated.

Thanks for starting this thread. I didn't even know such a thing was coming. Let's hope that the new phone won't have the problems of the recent update!

Two sources from a couple of months ago suggest an appearance basically by the end of the year: and . Both of these indicate Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich as the OS, and the second suggests a slightly larger screen. A more recent post suggests the same size screen, and has a few other details.
    Last edited by Dave-in-Decatur; 10-15-2012 at 11:26 AM.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    4.1.1 JB OTA Stock

One post about it last month said it was going to be releases by the end of September, but that obviously didn't happen.

My wife is due for an upgrade this weekend, but she'll hold off for a bit if I knew this was coming. Or, she'll end up with the Droid 4 to replace her Droid 2.

Steve
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (me)

I have no info, but I expect Verizon to announce it any day now, with shipments a few days later for about $150. I expect between letstalk and radioshack and Best Buy, one of them will have it for <$100 within a week or two of launch. I wouldn't get the Droid 4 with this on the horizon. Removable battery, better battery life, and faster chip
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    4.1.1 JB OTA Stock

Yeah, I definitely want to wait for this one since it will be newer technology.

I tried to talk her into a S3 or even a Nexus, but she has to have a keyboard so that really limits her choices.

Steve
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (me)

I feel the same way. I wish companies would take the QWERTY user a little more seriously instead of just considering us as also-rans. The OG Droid was the Android smartphone that ushered in Android to the masses, after all. For me, I'm just keeping an eye on the Strat 2 because I'll probably buy one on ebay once they get below $200 used in order to keep my current unlimited data plan.
    Last edited by JoeFresco; 10-17-2012 at 07:16 AM.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    4.1.1 JB OTA Stock

Why can't they make the S3 with a keyboard, huge screen, fast processor, all the bells and whistles...........with a slide out keyboard.

Oh well, have to see what comes in the next couple of weeks.

Steve
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (me)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    4.1.1 JB OTA Stock

More fuel for the fire.

Steve
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (me)

Rumor I read yesterday pegged release at Nov 21. Definitely later than "end of September" previously rumored.

For those who have access to shop at AAFES, I just found this on one of the Black Friday Ad sites.

Attachment 44761
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,980 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine2003 View Post
    For those who have access to shop at AAFES, I just found this on one of the Black Friday Ad sites.

Attachment 44761
    Funny, I work for them and was about to post that we've already gotten two dummy units in.
    Last edited by ItnStln511; 11-05-2012 at 03:22 PM.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ROM
    4.1.1 JB OTA Stock

Samsung Galaxy S4 (me)
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM
    4.1.1 JB OTA Stock

I stopped by my local RS today on my way home from work to check and see if they had any info on the Stratosphere 2. To my surprise it was on display, free with upgrade. I asked if they had one available, she came out with the only one they received today. Activated it on my account, and off I went with an unreleased phone.
    Wife will be home shortly, so she'll be playing with it all night.

Now to find a screen protector and case for it...........going to be slim pickings since the phone doesn't exist.

Steve
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (me)

sweet... does it still have the spot on the back underneath the battery cover where you can attach a wrist strap?

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maineultraclassic View Post
    I stopped by my local RS today on my way home from work to check and see if they had any info on the Stratosphere 2. To my surprise it was on display, free with upgrade. I asked if they had one available, she came out with the only one they received today. Activated it on my account, and off I went with an unreleased phone.
    Wife will be home shortly, so she'll be playing with it all night.

Now to find a screen protector and case for it...........going to be slim pickings since the phone doesn't exist.

Steve
    Did it come with a micro SD card? The ad copy on the Verizon site seems to suggest that even a 4GB card is NOT included.

Any additional info would be appreciated.

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Quote Originally Posted by old_kansan View Post
    Did it come with a micro SD card? The ad copy on the Verizon site seems to suggest that even a 4GB card is NOT included.

Any additional info would be appreciated.
    It does not come with one, but it does have 8GB of internal storage and a microSD card slot for you own SD card up to 32GB (officially 32GB, but I bet a 64GB card would work fine if formatted properly).

I find it odd that this phone has no ambient light sensor, so you can't set the screen to Automatic Brightness...
    Current Phones: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk Official KitKat ROM) / LG G2 on Verizon (CarbonROM KitKat)
    Current Tablets: Apple iPad 4 & Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
    Previous Android Devices: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

It's available from VZW now.

1Gb of RAM.... fail.

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Quote Originally Posted by hossman12 View Post
    1Gb of RAM.... fail.

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3
    Why? This is a mid-range phone and not a high-end device like your SGS3, 1GB or RAM is more than sufficient. Do you know of other low to mid range phones that have more?
    Current Phones: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk Official KitKat ROM) / LG G2 on Verizon (CarbonROM KitKat)
    Current Tablets: Apple iPad 4 & Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
    Previous Android Devices: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket