1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help Please.... The Galaxy Metrix = Stratosphere?

Let me get straight to the punch. I'm trying to root my Metrix (SCH-I405U). However, i dont know what to look for sense there is now Metrix specific forums. Does anyone know if the Metrix just a Stratosphere distributed by U.S. Cellular? I'm sure its difficult to determine if they are truly the same phone, right down to the system files, which is probably important when it comes to rooting the phone. I've also seen it called a Samsung Aegis. I'm trying to find specific instructions because i definitely don't want to brick my phone.

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Default Re: Help Please.... The Galaxy Metrix = Stratosphere?

The Metrix is a "variant" of the Stratosphere, based on the same hardware but probably with a slightly to moderately different ROM... The rooting process should be very similar, but I can't guarantee it since the most common method of rooting the Stratosphere (ODIN/Heimdall in CWM Recovery over stock recovery, then flash SuperUser) relies on a customized version of CWM that is very specific to the Strat. I don't know of anyone who has successfully rooted the Metrix, but then again I don't know anyone who has the Metrix.

The possibility of bricking your Metrix by flashing CWM is very real, so I would be very careful there. There is an older method of rooting the Stratosphere on RootzWiki where you actually ODIN in the su binary and SuperUser apk file, that may work, and has much less chance of bricking your phone. But again, if this is your daily driver phone and you must have it, proceed with caution, and I would not try any rooting or flashing method that uses a different kernel, it is very unlikely that a kernel compiled for the Stratosphere would even allow the Metrix to boot.
    Current Phones: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk Official KitKat ROM) / LG G2 on Verizon (CarbonROM KitKat)
    Current Tablets: Apple iPad 4 & Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
    Previous Android Devices: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket