Stratosphere Won't Charge

vraise

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I could tell you all the charging problems I (and a lot of others, apparently) have been having with this phone. But shaving it down as short as I can:
Stratosphere (original) stopped charging properly a few months ago. That is, the only way it would actually charge instead of just saying it was charging would be if it was powered down. Fairly certain it was after an update that I finally allowed to run. Discovered this thread. Followed the instructions (clearing data didn't help, though the USB debugging steps did), phone charged properly for a day, then only while powered off again, or if there was pressure being applied down onto connector (onto the end farthest from phone/the side where the cord goes into the connector). Slowly started to have to toggle the USB debugging to get it to charge everytime even while having to apply pressure.
Now it's gotten to the point where nothing I do will get the phone to charge while it's on (though I can get it to SAY it's charging while it's powered on if I toggle the USB debugging on top of keeping pressure on the connector), but it will charge with pressure while it's powered off. Though the screen keeps turning on and off most of the time now, showing the battery as the green bar moves up.

Help? I'm open to ideas. No, I personally haven't tried a factory reset, mostly because people on the above mentioned forums say it didn't help.
Personally I think if I was able to revert to a previous update the problem would fix itself, but I don't pretend to know much about it, and I can't find how to revert. I've been applying each new update that comes out in hopes that the problem gets fixed.

(Short summary in case you didn't skim through the linked forums: Switching chargers or batteries hasn't helped. It's the phone itself that's the problem. I could buy an external battery charger and an extra battery, yes, but I'd rather my phone just charge like a normal one. :( )

My personal (rooted, though other non-rooted owners are having the same problem) phone stats:
Hardware version
I405.05
Model number
SCH-I405
Firmware version
Baseband version
I405.05 V.EI2
SCH-I405.EI2
Kernel version
2.6.35.7-EI2
Build number
SCH-I405.EI2