Phone runs hot and freezes

s_watford

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Stratosphere for a year and a half, and am progressively having more issues with it. Originally my upgrade date with Verizon was this month; however, Verizon has now pushed that back to the full 2 years of the contract, so I'm stuck with the Strat for another 6 months.

My phone tends to run VERY hot at times. I can't really pinpoint when or why it happens. I live in a location with very good service quality, so I'm not in a low service area. I don't use the phone for heavy volume of emails, texts, or phone calls. But there are times that I pick it up and it's HOT, when it hasn't been used recently. Any ideas?

Also, the phone freezes - requiring me to hard boot it - at least once a week, sometimes more. Again, any ideas?

I mainly use it for a phone, get occasional texts (a few per week), check email once or twice a day, use the calendar a handful of times per week, and use apps a couple of times per day. I do have a battery saver app installed - before I installed it, my battery would last less than a day. Nothing really syncs automatically because of the battery saver - I have to sync my calendar and gmail every time I want to use them.

I know these concerns are pretty vague, and that frustrates me. Right now I'm just counting down the days until I get rid of this thing and upgrade to an iPhone. But I don't want to fork over $650 for the iPhone just yet. If you have any suggestions for me to look into, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Stratosphere for a year and a half, and am progressively having more issues with it. Originally my upgrade date with Verizon was this month; however, Verizon has now pushed that back to the full 2 years of the contract, so I'm stuck with the Strat for another 6 months.

My phone tends to run VERY hot at times. I can't really pinpoint when or why it happens. I live in a location with very good service quality, so I'm not in a low service area. I don't use the phone for heavy volume of emails, texts, or phone calls. But there are times that I pick it up and it's HOT, when it hasn't been used recently. Any ideas?

Also, the phone freezes - requiring me to hard boot it - at least once a week, sometimes more. Again, any ideas?

I mainly use it for a phone, get occasional texts (a few per week), check email once or twice a day, use the calendar a handful of times per week, and use apps a couple of times per day. I do have a battery saver app installed - before I installed it, my battery would last less than a day. Nothing really syncs automatically because of the battery saver - I have to sync my calendar and gmail every time I want to use them.

I know these concerns are pretty vague, and that frustrates me. Right now I'm just counting down the days until I get rid of this thing and upgrade to an iPhone. But I don't want to fork over $650 for the iPhone just yet. If you have any suggestions for me to look into, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

I am sorry you aren't having a good experience with Android. But try this: Charge your device. Then, turn it off, reboot into recovery (hold power and volume up at the same time until you see the Samsung logo), and select wipe cache partition. For visualization: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

Here is an educated guess as to what is happening: When a phone gets updated, the cache from the old version can interfere with the new one. This causes the processors and OS in general to go crazy, and can cause lag and battery drains.

s_watford

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. I have given that a try and will see if this works.

FTR, to reboot the Stratosphere into recovery mode I had to hold down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons. Then when the Samsung logo appeared, release just the Power button until the menu appeared. Then used the Volume Up and Down buttons to navigate the menu, and Home button to select the wipe cache option. Just writing these instructions down in case anyone else has the same issue, or in case I forget what I did and need to repeat in the future. :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I have given that a try and will see if this works.

FTR, to reboot the Stratosphere into recovery mode I had to hold down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons. Then when the Samsung logo appeared, release just the Power button until the menu appeared. Then used the Volume Up and Down buttons to navigate the menu, and Home button to select the wipe cache option. Just writing these instructions down in case anyone else has the same issue, or in case I forget what I did and need to repeat in the future. :)

Thanks for the follow up.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

ktcoffey

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
My Stratosphere does the SAME thing. It freezes up a lot also. It also has a delay in making calls, I can click CALL and nothing happens...then 30 -45 seconds later (after I've given up) it calls out. I was thinking about going to the iPhone 5 but have been reading on these forums about them eating up data. I have unlimited data now, and it seems verizon doesn't quite understand the term "grandfathered in"...now that I find out when I upgrade this time around I lose my unlimited data. Shame on you verizon... and all I want is a phone that works properly. I love my slide out keyboard on my Stratosphere and would love to just keep this phone...I am going to try the recovery mode reboot and see if that works.

:-\

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My Stratosphere does the SAME thing. It freezes up a lot also. It also has a delay in making calls, I can click CALL and nothing happens...then 30 -45 seconds later (after I've given up) it calls out. I was thinking about going to the iPhone 5 but have been reading on these forums about them eating up data. I have unlimited data now, and it seems verizon doesn't quite understand the term "grandfathered in"...now that I find out when I upgrade this time around I lose my unlimited data. Shame on you verizon... and all I want is a phone that works properly. I love my slide out keyboard on my Stratosphere and would love to just keep this phone...I am going to try the recovery mode reboot and see if that works.

:-\
Try wiping your cache partition, but with the lag in phone if this doesn't fix it you will likely have to do a factory reset (default) and start over... this was not an uncommon issue with the Stratosphere. Once a factory default is done, you should only add back in the apps you need (do not do a Google Play restore), and after you have verified the issue is gone add back in the extra non-essential apps a few at a time and test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12