Charging issues

kittensceilidh

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm having some serious issues charging my phone. First off I should say I did not buy this phone. I got this phone from a friend who was upgrading after my own phone died. It has the extended use battery with the fatter back. He did not have a charger to give me with it, which was fine because I have 3 chargers. However I am having these problems with all 3 of my chargers.

The 3 chargers I have are a Verizon car charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter that I bought to go with my previous Android that died, an Energizer brand USB that I use to connect my phone to my computer, and a Motorola wall plug charger that came with my previous Android.

One of the problems I'm having is that NONE of the 3 chargers will charge without connection issues. With each one it continually connects and disconnects even if I hold it still or set it somewhere and it doesn't move. I had the most difficulty with the Motorola wall charger so I haven't even tried to use that one for a while.
I have had slightly less difficulty with the Energizer one and so I have been using that one. I have managed to get it to stay charging every night finally though it feels like this is purely luck and frequently it will charge for a while and then suddenly start having connection problems even though it hasn't moved at all. It's very difficult to get it to stay connected to my computer long enough to transfer files or anything else.

The other problem I'm having is that it will say it is fully charged while on the charger. I unplug it and it drops immediately. First it was ~50%, then around 30%, and today it dropped to 2%.

I'm not sure how long my friend had the phone so I'm not sure how old any part of it is. My friend is very tech savvy though and I do believe that if he had had this problem he would have found a way to fix it. At the very least, he would not have given it to me if he knew it had a problem.

I have read on this forum that port issues are known but I'm not sure what to do about that. First of all I'm not sure that I qualify for a replacement since I didn't buy this phone myself. Second I feel convinced that any replacement would have the same issue. I have an upgrade available but can't really afford it right now. Does anyone have any other ideas? Or is it best to just live with it as is until I can afford the upgrade?

Dougnsalem

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Well, I will go ahead and post this. I'm not wanting to offend anyone at all. Just share my experience with them...

You're kinda screwed. We've had 2 for a couple years. During that time, we have had 7 replacements. Charge issues, cracked screens, horrible battery life. The Motorola charger probably won't make a difference- my Droid3 chargers didn't. Since my D3 finally died after many drops and dunks, I had to put the Strats back in use. My daily driver doesn't charge. I'm rotating 3 batteries through the other Strat, that has a cracked screen.... Run if you can. It will save you in the long run.

kittensceilidh

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Ok. So is this just Stratospheres then? Is it Samsungs? If I go for an upgrade, which phones should I look at to avoid getting a new phone that also has this sort of issue?

Dougnsalem

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Lol. Think I'll pass on that one. I'm in the same boat as you- Been able to upgrade, but I'm not sure which way to go... I've been checking the forums which is probably your best bet.

Stan Jaxsr

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I had charging issues with my strat. due to dropping it in a puddle but my wife still has hers and it is going well. I bought a Note II last spring and I love it. I was able to get it through my daughters upgrade, she is still using my old enV2 after losing her I-phone (more than likely stolen than lost, why I will never have an I-phone). Samsungs are great, just get a closing cover to protect the screen, that is much cheaper than having it repaired. GOOD LUCK.

kittensceilidh

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
A closing cover to protect the screen???? That has nothing to do with the issue I was having. The issue was the charging port in the bottom being too loose which I've learned is a built-in flaw in many Strats. The Verizon store folk were aware of this problem being rampant and basically unfixable. The problem accelerated quickly after posting this question and I couldn't get it to charge at all. I rushed to use an upgrade I had available before the Strat completely died.