1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Default Rooting and disabling cameras on Stratosphere 2.

I am getting ready to buy a Stratosphere 2 to use as my work phone. My work does not allow me to have a camera phone in most areas. I am going to physically remove the camera lenses from the phone, but need to also root the phone and disable the camera functions within the software. The task of removing the cameras is straight forward however, I am uncertain how to do the second task. How would I go about rooting the phone then disabling the cameras in the software?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Default Re: Rooting and disabling cameras on Stratosphere 2.

Also, it would be helpful if I could replace the shell of the phone with parts that do not have holes for the cameras, if that is possible?

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Rooting the Start 2 is problematic at best, if you are on the current OTA there is no known exploit to root.

Also, for your other part, removing the lenses is probably your only option... The Strat 2 wasn't a popular phone, you likely will find little info on doing other mods.

Sorry.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Current Phones: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk Official KitKat ROM) / LG G2 on Verizon (Stock KitKat/rooted)
    Current Tablets: Apple iPad 4 & Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
    Previous Android Devices: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Should I be considering a different phone then? What would you recommend? I currently have Blackberry Bold 9930 without camera, and a Galaxy Note 2. I am unwilling to destroy/remove the cameras from the Note 2, but need to find a replacement to my Bold soon.

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Quote Originally Posted by truck1985 View Post
    Should I be considering a different phone then? What would you recommend? I currently have Blackberry Bold 9930 without camera, and a Galaxy Note 2. I am unwilling to destroy/remove the cameras from the Note 2, but need to find a replacement to my Bold soon.
    I assume you want/need a physical keyboard? Your only choice would be to try and find a Moto Droid 4. No other Verizon smart phones are available with a physical keyboard and the market isn't demanding them, so we likely won't see a new one anytime soon.

Current Phones: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk Official KitKat ROM) / LG G2 on Verizon (Stock KitKat/rooted)
    Current Tablets: Apple iPad 4 & Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
    Previous Android Devices: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

I liked that the Stratosphere 2 is going for a relatively low price on ebay. Though as a converting Blackberry user, the full keyboard did seem nice

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Quote Originally Posted by truck1985 View Post
    I liked that the Stratosphere 2 is going for a relatively low price on ebay. Though as a converting Blackberry user, the full keyboard did seem nice

Honestly, I have bought a few phones on eBay, everyone was bad in one way or another... Swappa is pretty good though.

If your just going to cripple it, what features do you really need? And is VZW a requirement?

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Honestly, I have bought a few phones on eBay, everyone was bad in one way or another... Swappa is pretty good though.

If your just going to cripple it, what features do you really need? And is VZW a requirement?

I've never had issues with ebay, though I had never even heard of Swappa. Thanks for that resource.
    The biggest features I need are 4G and must be a smartphone. I am unwilling to buy another blackberry, and don't really want Apple either. VZW is a must because I'm grandfathered on their UDP, and the rest of the phones on my plan are under contract for another 23 months, so switching to another carrier with UDP isn't really an option.