Transform for first smartphone?

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone, just looking for some opinions.

I'm trying to help my gf's mom pick out her first smartphone, which will be an added line on my Sprint account. (I already have 2 EVOs on my account) The Transform seems like it would fit her needs, but I've heard some negative things about it so I just wanted to get some opinions before jumping on one.

I'm also open to other recommendations if anyone has any. The only real requirements are a physical keyboard and price of no more than $100. She's not going to be a power user by any means, so no need for a high end phone. (Otherwise I'd be telling her to get an EVO or Epic)

Thanks in advance!

TC

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
The only real requirements are a physical keyboard and price of more than $100. She's not going to be a power user by any means, so no need for a high end phone. (Otherwise I'd be telling her to get an EVO or Epic)

Thanks in advance!

Based on the criteria you gave, there is no other logical choice other than the Transform. Any WM6 phone with a kb that Sprint has is a dead-end since WM7 is coming in Q1. The only other Sprint Android phone with kb is the Intercept, which is also a dead-end (no Froyo 2.2 or beyond).

All the reasons you stated above is exactly why I got my wife a Transform. It's definitely not an Evo or Epic, but I believe once 2.2 is released for it it will improve the user experience and hold her for a couple of years.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to offer my 2 cents,
I agree based on your op. The transform will be more than capable for a 1st smart phone.

Do NOT get her the intercept, it lags and is buggy, very unresponsive and as Tc mentioned it is a dead -end. The UI is not as intuitive as newer more capable Android devices.

And good thing about the transform is no $g up-charge and Froyo will come to it.

I have the Epic, bought my wife the Transform. She loves it, I have played around with it & I had no real complaints. It is snappy enough no noticeable lag when opening apps or browsing.

Be sure to help her by installing and setting essential apps as defaults.

Handcent
your preferred browser and media players.

Good luck

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. Probably going to head to Radio Shack tomorrow and hopefully get one for free with their black friday deal.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk