Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 3 Post By SquirrelMan80
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    22,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default The NVIDIA shield tablet

Starting at $299, it seems like it might be a good rival for console games. One of the games it is capable of playing is Half life 2.

For more info: NVIDIA Shield Tablet hands-on | Android Central

Pricing info: NVIDIA announces gaming-capable Shield Tablet | Android Central

Anybody interested?

I might be myself.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    VDub2174 likes this.

Default Re: The NVIDIA shield tablet

I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on this one
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."

Being that the state of games on Android is just plain horrible compared to the likes of Skyrim on PC. I require 60fps+ and the full use of HD. Console gaming in my book is just a plain ripe off. I am more than happy to sink 5-10 thousand on a gaming system this is just another gameboy for the kiddies. But of course many consumers have much lower expectations and will be more than happy with this.

Not just a game system like Ouya but this is also a portable tablet without the need for power except to charge. I think this will be a good tablet.
    VZW LG G3/Motorola Xoom

I'm interested in the Dabbler app. It looks sweet, like my scribbles will be embued with life.

I got my Shield a couple of days ago. I will tell you I really like it so far. My previous tablet was a Nexus 7(2012). What I like about this tablet is it is pretty much running a stock version of android. To the comments of zedorda, I think you shouldn’t compare this tablet to a pc gaming rig or a gameboy. They serve different purposes. I use to have a decked out gaming rig but when my kids came, things changed. I still love to game but can’t justify the expense for the few hours I can spend playing late at night when the kids sleep. Plus, I travel a lot now which is one of the reasons I looked that this tablet.

Yes, I could lug around a gaming laptop. I have thought about it but traveling a lot you really want to minimize weight. Two laptops to carry is a pain (one for work and one for personal use). Which is why I look to a tablet. A tablet is a second laptop for me in many ways. I can do email, pay bills. Just about everything I need to do but much lighter. I have basic photo editing and management. I can watch videos (movies), listen music, and of course play games all in a nice little package.

For Android games, this is an excellent tablet. However, I think I would wait for the 32 GB and pay an extra $100. I think I will be upgrading when it comes out and hand this off to my wife. We play some of the MMO games on Android together. The games I have played in the last two days run smoothly. I purchased a 64GB micro SD card so I can move photos, music, videos, and games to conserve space. What I did fine is that Order and Chaos doesn’t play on the SD card even though you can move it but other games don’t experience this problem. The other thing I am having trouble with is connecting Helium to this tablet (it may not be supported yet).

I also connected this to the T.V. to watch Netflix and Movies from Vudu. The picture quality is great. Most hotels now days have LCD TV’s which mean in the back they have an HDMI input. I like the idea to be able to connect this tablet to a T.V. to play games or watch movies from the comfort of my Hotel room using the controller. I am waiting for the controller to be shipped to me so I can test it out with the T.V. to see how much I like this concept.

By the way, I connected my bluetooth keyboard to the tablet and it works great. Two things I feel like this tablet is missing is wireless charging and NFC reader. I do like using NFC tags with my android phone and I used it with my Nexus 7 Tablet.

The stylus works great for writing and taking notes. I will be testing this out more.

I also plan on testing out the streaming games from your computer when I get the controller. I am not sure how much I will be using this. I do have a few games I play around with on my computer.
    Thanked by 3:
    ollieg, psyke45 and xunilhr like this.

Excellent review.

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts

FWIW, I just discovered, by accident, that the magnets in the device are strong enough to hold the device to the side of my mini fridge in my bedroom.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using AC Forums mobile app