Rooting your Nvidia Shield Tablet [ROOT]

ohadios

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any damage caused to your device by following any of the instructions on this post. You assume full responsibility and all that crap.
Also, this is not something I created. All credit due to the developers who created these tools.

Hi all,

Figured some people may want to root their devices...
No custom recoveries exist for our shield yet to my knowledge, but to be honest with the stock rom being AOSP and with a bit of Xposed love, I have all that I need in this awesome little tablet.

Anywho, to the point:
I was able to root the device using towelroot by Geohot
Download it from here:
https://towelroot.com

I also downloaded supersu from the market to provide the su control you so love.

Enjoy hacking your device away!

Last edited:

thee_computer_guy

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I have just followed your instructions and everything went as smooth as can be expected.

I picked my Shield up on the 29th, release day. When I first turned it on and logged into my Google account, I was presented with an OTA update called "SHIELD Tablet Software - Update 1" and I have neglected continuing with the install for root purposes only.

My question is did you run this update prior to rooting your device? Is it safe for me to update and if so, will I have to root again? Or will this update patch the exploit used to gain root access?

Thanks in advance and will be awaiting your response! +1 for the easy root tutorial as well!

ohadios

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I have just followed your instructions and everything went as smooth as can be expected.

I picked my Shield up on the 29th, release day. When I first turned it on and logged into my Google account, I was presented with an OTA update called "SHIELD Tablet Software - Update 1" and I have neglected continuing with the install for root purposes only.

My question is did you run this update prior to rooting your device? Is it safe for me to update and if so, will I have to root again? Or will this update patch the exploit used to gain root access?

Thanks in advance and will be awaiting your response! +1 for the easy root tutorial as well!

I updated my device when I turned it on.
This means that I rooted it after the patch was applied with no problem whatsoever.
I can't tell you if you will need to re-root, but with an update size of over 600MB, I'd imagine it is likely System will be replaced, and you'll have to re-root.
Once you update - let me know what happened!
I'm sure others may be curious too :)

thee_computer_guy

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Once you update - let me know what happened!
I'm sure others may be curious too :)

I ran the update (while being rooted) and the installation went without a hitch.

After the installation was complete, the tablet rebooted automatically. Once I returned to the launcher, I ran "Root Checker" and was indeed no longer rooted.

I launched "towelroot" to re-root and it crashed during the root installation process. This was to be expected as this was the first, fresh boot post-update.

I did a complete shutdown of my Shield, booted back to the launcher and opened "towelroot" again. This time the root process ran without any issues.

Being unsure of the status of the "SuperSU" binaries, I went ahead and opened that as well. After allowing the binaries to update and choosing the "Normal" recovery option, I was once again rooted.

All is well and I can't wait to see what this thing can really do! I know I can't be the only person who is upset that I am unable to purchase the official Nvidia Shield controller until the 15th.

Thanks again for the post ohadios!

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I actually got my tablet on the 26th, but was sad the controller is back ordered. Kind of useless with out a controller.

Why would it be useless without the controller? It's still an amazing tablet. You can still pair any Bluetooth controller with it if that's desired.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I am planning to buy the Shield Tablet (if I can one!) and have 2 questions about rooting:

1). If the tablet is rooted with TowelRoot, how easy it is to unroot? There maybe cases where I have to do this, such as updating to new firmware, sending it back for warranty work, etc.

2). I don't have the tablet yet, but it seems Nvidia has updated the firmware at least once since the launch date. Is this new firmware rootable with TowelRoot?

BadHead1970

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Given Nvidias enthusiast roots, I would have like to have seen them supply an official rooting method, such as entering a root code as with some Sony devices. It would be nice if we were treated a bit more like adults and allowed to take this step without jumping through hoops and run the risk of bricking our devices. Still, I love android devices, and I'll probably get this round about Xmas, once it's been allowed to bed in and any faults or issues have been discovered and ironed out, maybe once a couple of Android L updates have been delivered successfully.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have a good link to towelroot v1? The current link on the site is no longer valid.

Posted via Android Central App

Bill Blaney 3rd

May 4, 2013
Visit site
HI, sorry to sound like a moron but I have ES D/L installed and when I try to d/l towelroot using Firefox the page turns to info instead of a d/l. When i try chrome it only gives me the option of Firefox or Chrome to d/l and will not give me option to use ES D/L. Help please!!:-[O:)