Battery life - Nvidia Shield Tablet compared to Nexus 7 (2013)

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I have the Nexus 7 (2013) but really want to move from a 7 inch to 8 inch tablet. The Shield looks like it would suit my needs but I'm not sure about battery life. Does anyone know how it compares to the N7? I'm not going to be using it for too much gaming.

Last edited:

Andy Bredemeyer

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I had a Nexus 7 (2012) and my wife has a 3 yr old iPad 2. The Shield Tablet hasn't blown me away with battery performance so far. Standby is much improved when I set WiFi to turn off when the tablet is sleeping, at least in my recent several day test, but even then with light usage it's only lasting 2-3 days. The screen definitely sucks a lot of power so I can take a 15 percent battery hit by using it for note taking in a couple of meetings, which means having the screen on for maybe 45 minutes cumulatively.

I haven't done much gaming or anything else demanding on the processor (maybe Dabbler makes it work a little) so can't comment there.

All in all it's superior to my aging Nexus 7, but can't touch the iPad, at least for standby time.

Now I've just downloaded the firmware update, so check back in a week!

ced2334

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
When I look at the shield and what it's intended for I wouldn't expect the battery life to be great when compared to other devices. It's a a gaming tablet first. That's what it's designed for. It's much in the same way that if I bought a gaming laptop I wouldn't expect the battery to be the standout feature on it either. Looks like an awesome tablet for gaming though. If you aren't interested in gaming I'd probably wait to see what the next nexus tablet brings to the table.

Posted via Android Central App

Andy Bredemeyer

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Another data point for you: my daughter watched two full-length animated movies on the Shield Tablet today, with WiFi off tho (on plane). Call it 3 to 3.5 hours easy. Used 30% of the battery. Pretty good to my mind.

Another data point for you: watched about 3.5 hours of locally stored movies today with headphones on from what was essentially full charge. WiFi was off. Hours later, it's at 69%. WiFi off the whole time tho. Pretty decent to my mind.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01