Shield Tablet LTE Update Delayed

dj_spore

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
The US shield tablet LTE version is pending approval from AT&T with no ETA on the Lollipop update.

This is extremely irritating. AT&T does not sell or support the tablet, I am not using it on AT&T, and it was sold as an unlocked tablet. My experience with factory unlocked Androids has been that the manufacturer handles the updates.

Just left a message with NVIDIA's Director of Customer Relations. Lets flood his voicemial. This is an unlocked tablet that is not sold or supported by AT&T and should not be reliant on them to approve an update that we were promised with no mention of whether LTE matters. If this update is not released today, I for one will be returning this tablet.

NVIDIA Corporate HQ
1+ (408) 486-2000

Tell them not to transfer you to Customer Service in India, demand to speak to someone at a corporate level. Let them know how misleading they were and what poor customer service this is.

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Wow that sounds annoying, but hasn't it always been like that? I mean the LTE Nexus 7's haven't received it either despite there being unlocked versions over the world, the update is not available because some US carrier, so pretty much all of the world has to take this ****.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
This is b.s.! I'm calling them today. Looks like if we dont get the update this week, I'll be selling my Shield Tablet and keeping my Tab S 8.4 instead.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Left a message on his voicemail asking for a return call with an update. We'll see if that ever happens!

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Chill out Aredubu, it's not like Samsung tablets are getting it any sooner, in fact it's quite the contrary, I doubt if your TAB S is gonna see it this year. LTE tablets seem to be having trouble, even the Nexus 7 LTE versions are only getting it this December.

dj_spore

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
The issue here is not so much the delayed update, its the fact that they promised a product update enabling features the tablet is advertised to have. I for one purchased the tablet after the announcement they would receive the update on the 18th. There was no mention of the fact that it would be delayed until the morning of the 18th. NVIDIA knew when they made the announcement of the update that their contract with AT&T would not allow them to release these updates side by side, or that it would at least need to be certified first. They are also advertising it as an unlocked tablet. It says it is compatible with AT&T, but it isn't even sold by them. The international LTE version, which is truly unlocked and carrier free, did receive the update yesterday. NVIDIA has been shady and misleading about their partnership with AT&T in the US. Most of their LTE customers only baught the LTE version because it is the only way to get 32GB internal storage, and a good chunk of them have no and want no customer relation with AT&T.

Overall, its NVIDIA's shady and misleading actions in promoting the update, as well as clarity on AT&T that needs to be addressed, and they need to be told customers won't be treated as they have been.

dj_spore

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Far anyone interested,

The OTA can be found here

These instructions are from an NVIDIA Mod on Geforce Forums

For SHIELD Tablet LTE USA customers on T-Mobile who are simply not using their LTE modem on their SHIELD Tablet and wish to update manually to Android Lollipop, here is how to use recovery method to load the image above from your microSD card:

1) Copy the OTA zip file to root of a microSD card
2) Insert microSD card into the device
3) Boot device to the fastboot menu
Press and hold volume down while powering on the device with the power button.
Continue holding volume down until the fastboot menu appears
4) Navigate to ‘Recovery Mode’ using the volume buttons then press the power button
5) Let device boot to the screen with the Android Robot
6) Pull up recovery mode menu
Press Volume Up + Power at the same time
7) Navigate to ‘apply update from external SD card’ using the volume buttons then press the power button

Worked fine for me, froze for over an hour at the NVIDIA boot screen, held power, rebooted and all was well.

Most users are reporting that it is wise to do a factory reset after update to fix minor glitches.

**These are not my findings or instructions. Flash at your own risk.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Chill out Aredubu, it's not like Samsung tablets are getting it any sooner, in fact it's quite the contrary, I doubt if your TAB S is gonna see it this year. LTE tablets seem to be having trouble, even the Nexus 7 LTE versions are only getting it this December.

No need to chill. It's a device and not important in the bigger scheme of things. I had already been previously informed by Nvidia that the releases would happen very soon after each other.

I just spoke with Peter, who is the Dir of Customer Relations for Nvidia. He stated that the plan on their end, was to release both upgrades at the same time. The delay happened on AT&T's end. Nvidia will post in their forums when to expect the upgrade to drop, which should be very soon. Nvidia expects the Shield LTE to be upgraded before the 2013 Nexus 7.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7