Living with the Shield Tablet

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
A little bit of an update:

I spent my first full day using the Nvidia Shield Tablet in console mode. I had a concern about the heating of the tablet. It seems linked to the screen being on and gaming. I played 2 hours of half life 2 and about 2 hours of borderlands 2 via the grid game service. The tablet barely got warm, if at all (so slightly warm that the heat could have been from being near my cable box). It was also charging while playing (it wasn't fulled charged when I started playing) I went to my cousins house played Half life 2 for a half hour via the tablet screen and the tablet was very warm. I had a case on the tablet during both events.

I will state that using the nvidia shield tablet as a console replacement is viable, enjoyable and there is no concern about over heating with extended play. Just play and have fun!

Tip: I found this nice little feature using the Nvidia shield controller and emulators. If the controller isn't mapping the buttons correctly hold "start" button (the button to the right of the nvidia button in the center of the controller) it will bring up the mapping menu, and you can download someone else's button mapping directly from Nvidia for that specific app/game/emulator/whatever. It takes the work out of mapping anything yourself.

I had an issue with reicast button mapping after I fiddled with the settings and I could not figure out how to undo what I did. Downloaded button mapping someone else did and I was back up and gaming in seconds.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
A little bit of an update:

I spent my first full day using the Nvidia Shield Tablet in console mode. I had a concern about the heating of the tablet. It seems linked to the screen being on and gaming. I played 2 hours of half life 2 and about 2 hours of borderlands 2 via the grid game service. The tablet barely got warm, if at all (so slightly warm that the heat could have been from being near my cable box). It was also charging while playing (it wasn't fulled charged when I started playing) I went to my cousins house played Half life 2 for a half hour via the tablet screen and the tablet was very warm. I had a case on the tablet during both events.

I will state that using the nvidia shield tablet as a console replacement is viable, enjoyable and there is no concern about over heating with extended play. Just play and have fun!

Tip: I found this nice little feature using the Nvidia shield controller and emulators. If the controller isn't mapping the buttons correctly hold "start" button (the button to the right of the nvidia button in the center of the controller) it will bring up the mapping menu, and you can download someone else's button mapping directly from Nvidia for that specific app/game/emulator/whatever. It takes the work out of mapping anything yourself.

I had an issue with reicast button mapping after I fiddled with the settings and I could not figure out how to undo what I did. Downloaded button mapping someone else did and I was back up and gaming in seconds.

I agree on the console and mirror modes. I watched a few hours of Netflix using my SHIELD Tablet and it was running nice and cool using either mode.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I found my first drawback (whomp whomp):

The Nvidia shield controller can't be set as a "trusted device" to keep the tablet unlocked. Trusted devices at this time can only be bluetooth or nfc based neither of which the NSC is (it's wifi direct)

it's a slight annoyance for the tablet to go to sleep while changing into console mode and having to put the input my pin via the controller. Trusted places can be used around it, but the gps seems fairly inaccurate (the same as on my n5) and doesn't always work.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I wish ii had realized that since the Lollipop update a few small changes would have made my device move like it's on rails: Change animation settings to ".5"; Keep the device on " Airplane Mode" while keeping WiFi on; and adjusting the "Touch Sensitivity", I would have never bought a Nexus 9. My Shield Tab flies now! Hope there's a Gen 2 of this coming out in the near future with the same aspect ratio and better screen resolution.

relic74

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
So in other words, you and your so call contact have no evidence that this matter of cracked corners/cases is solved as of this time and since counless people including myself have reached out to Nvidia and received no reply as to why it is still happening... I'm to do what again? Reach out to Nvidia on the forums? Really?

I'll say it again...
The last time Nvidia publicly announced that this issue was fixed, it turned out that it was not fixed. As a result, not even you can say that it was fixed like you did in this thread. Because, that would be deceitful on your part, based on the evidence I've provided.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

I'm not sure why your pushing this matter, personal disdain towards Nvidia, dislike when people are happy, whatever. Do you actually own a Shield, if not why are you so concerned with telling others that it isn't any good, let's actually hear from people who have one. Anyone who currently purchases a Shield will get the updated model without the cracking issue. I bought mine a couple of months back and haven't seen any cracking thus far. The Shield is the best tablet you can buy for under $400, period. Not only is it the fastest, has ample ports, even a Micro HDMI, outstanding build quality but Nvidias customer service is bar none the best I have ever encountered.

Its so good that I now use it as my main computer now, I just connect a monitor via that lovely HDMI port, mouse, keyboard, change the desktop DPI to 192 so everything doesn't look ridiculously huge and I'm off. Androids updates also come frequently, unlike a Samsung tablet in which you would be lucky to get a single update in it's life. The Tab 3 is still stuck at version 4.2.2 of Android for goodness sakes.

So again I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to discourage people from looking at the Shield but your wrong, it's a really good tablet and anyone who buys one would be ecstatic. I can't wait for the next version with that super chip, the X1. I have already preordered the new Shield Console which will replace my Shield Tablet as my main desktop computer. I also have 5 Nvidia Jetson Dev boards in which I use for clustering projects, just fantastic stuff. I'm also in the process of locating a Lenovo ThinkVision 27" 4K monitor that has a K1 processor with Android installed. All this because the Shield was just so fantastic.

What do you use as your tablet that's so special?

Last edited:

relic74

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Sorry this isn't the answers you were looking for but as I stated I can't speak on behalf of NVIDIA. I am merely a volunteer/selected Tegra Champ by NVIDIA that provides feedback and helps answer questions in the forums based on my own experience and knowledge.

If you aren't getting a reply on the forums at NVIDIA then I recommend making a phone call to their tech support line and talk with them.

I can only comment on the bezel cracks that I have not experienced them personally. My unit is one of the early run models and have been lucky it wasn't affected. As for the distortion, I haven't had this issue because I don't apply abnormal pressure to my devices to reproduce this. I'm sure if you press on the display and back of the unit you can easily reproduce this and most likely cause damage if you aren't careful, but same could be said for just about any device if you do this.

Again, your complaint/questions aren't with me its with NVIDIA and should be taken up with them.

Don't waste your breathe, this person doesn't even have a Shield, he/she is just stirring up issues because their bored. We and others who actually own a Shield Tablet know how good they are. Even those who have unfortunately received faulty units were all satisfactorily taken cared of by their customer service. Ask anyone who has dealt with Nvidia directly about their experience with them, 9 times out of 10 have replied superb. Okay maybe Nvidia didn't come out and scream that their new tablet has some cracking issues but their isn't a manufactor on the planet that would and it's naive to even think so. It takes a class action suite against Apple for them to admit anything. Again, this guy is latching on a minor inconvenience, I say minor inconvenience and not a problem because Nvidia quickly takes care of any problems that might arise, you can't asked for anything more. I know for fact with past dealings that a company like Samsung would just ignore you.

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The shield tablet does not have a micro hdmi port. It has a mini hdmi. Which is superior to micro hdmi in my opinion as it can better grip the connector (i also have a Windows tablet I sometimes use and keeping that connector in place is annoying at times.

I love my shield tablet. I got it in January. Favorite tablet I have used By far. I have no idea what this cracking issue is.

Posted via the Android Central App