Nvidia Shield K1 screen cracked

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday I noticed what looked like a scratch. When I ran my thumb nail over it it immediately extended to the ends. Let me tell you. I have babied this thing. There has been nothing that i have done that would cause this. No drops, I have not laid it face down. We own four Samsung tab 4s for my kids and wife who throw theirs around and not even a scratch.

What are my options? Can I replace this? Is this a known problem? This seems to be extremely thin glass.

Between this and the quick burn battery I am not pleased. (Is the battery issue being addressed?)

Thank you in advance

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm not pleased with the shield either, it's being replaced by nvidia right now and I am not in the country at the moment so I will have to pay shipping plus importation taxes on it again. It's really cheap made it wouldn't surprise me if the glass in the screen is very cheap. The battery is horrible. The glued on thin rubber strips over the speakers were coming off mine, I saw one more person post of it happening on here to his so THAT's not widespread....yet. Mine also shocked me sometimes when charging, no matter what cable or charger I used, but I found instances of other tablets doing that when searching online so I wasn't going to send it back to the us for that.

I'm sure it's doable, the hard part may be finding a replacement screen. I just did a search, google, and saw several instances of cracked screens but that is expected. One guy said he just laid it face down on the table, but who knows. One said they contacted nvidia and they told him to take it to a 3rd party repair place as they don't do repairs unless it is under warranty, probably just send out a new one.

I also didn't find any replacement lcd's, they may pop up 3rd party later on but unless nvidia has them (and they may not be worthwhile cost wise) I think it's just a cheap disposable tablet.

Sorry.

I'm debating selling mine if and when I get it and if they send me a new one. Not sure yet but I consider it to be the worst purchase I have made in a long time.

Last edited:

e45twp

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Oh my lord, the same has happened to my K1. I've just taken it out of a padded sleeve and it has the shield cover on it but the screen is cracked. I'm devastated! Same, I couldn't have looked after this tablet with any more care. What do we do??

Ritte

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
I signed up for this forum just to reply that I've the same problem. Did you contact nvidia or the store where you purchased it from? My crack looks like a scratch but it's a crack, a fine crack. The screen must be very fragile since I've only used it a couple of days and taken good care of it.

markin91

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Same problem. I've had my k1 for 4 months. I don't know if everyone had this problem, but mine was one that had the overheating issue for a couple of months until an update mostly fixed it. I'm wondering if the constant high heat could be what is causing the cracks to occur.

fgcchevy

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I've had my k tablet since Xmas and no issues with the screen. No heat issue either. My only complaint is it gets laggy on occasion.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lucy McGeachy

Jun 11, 2016
Visit site
Hello I Have had my shield since march. I too have found a hairline crack that has started at the bottom left bow nearly reached the top right.. I have put an hudl screen protector over it. But why has the happened... bought direct from the nvidia web site...has been getting really hot. .. other than that I love it but want to last longer that a few months...anyone had any joy from nvidia??

TheDarkas

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
Just stop buying newly released products in the first day or week or month. They are and will be usually defective. And take care of your device by using some bucks for screen protectors and cases because they will save your tablet's original look and life for longer. I had Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and I used 3 screen protectors and 1 case in 1 year and after some cleaning it looked like new. And I have spent on these maybe 15-20 bucks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2